The Gilmore GS1 is coming!!
Jul 10, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #16 of 31
Good choice, Joey. I've had mine a little over a month now and love it to death. Sounds great with all my headphones. Be sure to post some pics when you get it; I'm curious how the plexiglass top will look.

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #17 of 31
Well that was an easy decision for you to make!
tongue.gif

I'm just surprised you didn't get the Dynahi..
evil_smiley.gif
it is in a whole other league, but almost the same price if you can find it used.

Either way, you'll definitely hear a difference, the HK will be shamed.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #18 of 31
Thanks for the well-wishes and the tips regarding DAC and sources, I will take it into consideration.

However, I am thinking of something.... perhaps getting a PPX Slam so I can truly choose which I like more.

Hehehehe.... mwahahah.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
I decided that tube amps were more work to get the sound right (but when you do... OHHHH BOY!!)

Very well said.

Quote:

I predict the GS1 to be less maintenance and less upkeep compared to if I got a PPX.

Once you get them sounding like you want them to tubed amps don't really require any more maintainance or upkeep than a solid state amp, but like you said it can be a lot of work to initially get the sound right. In the last 6 months or so I've burned in about 30 tubes, 7 different Sennheiser cables (5 of them DIY), and 3 different interconnects (all DIY) in trying to fine tune the tube amps that I've had come through the house. And although I'm very happy with the way my WA3 now sounds, part of me wishes I had just bought a solid state amp from the start and saved myself a whole bunch of time and effort.

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
Very well said.

Once you get them sounding like you want them to tubed amps don't really require any more maintainance or upkeep than a solid state amp, but like you said it can be a lot of work to initially get the sound right. In the last 6 months or so I've burned in about 30 tubes, 7 different Sennheiser cables (5 of them DIY), and 3 different interconnects (all DIY) in trying to fine tune the tube amps that I've had come through the house. And although I'm very happy with the way my WA3 now sounds, part of me wishes I had just bought a solid state amp from the start and saved myself a whole bunch of time and effort.

Tube rolling is definitely part of the fun of having tube amps. Wish I could hear your Woo3.

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Thanks for the well-wishes and the tips regarding DAC and sources, I will take it into consideration.

However, I am thinking of something.... perhaps getting a PPX Slam so I can truly choose which I like more.

Hehehehe.... mwahahah.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

You are placing too much emphasis on amplifiers and not on source. Source will influence the sound more. The amp is going to influence the quality and final balances of that sound that will reach your ears. Your money is better off toward a better source.

Jul 10, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
You are placing too much emphasis on amplifiers and not on source. Source will influence the sound more. The amp is going to influence the quality and final balances of that sound that will reach your ears. Your money is better off toward a better source.

Yes you may be right. However, one must find the best amp for their money anyway - so why not do it right this time?

The source comes later, I cant do all at once.

Besides, I dont see anything BLATANTLY wrong with my source anyway. Audigy2zs digital out to HK330 for DAC to amp to 650s.

Jul 10, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 31
Yes, I agree. Always get the best you can afford for one component, THEN upgrade the other components later. It is better than getting a mediocre amp, and a mediocre source, then having to upgrade BOTH later. Why not get a super amp for now, and leave the 'crappy' source?

Anyhow, I don't know about the HK330.. Might be fantastic, might be turds.

Jul 10, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Yes you may be right. However, one must find the best amp for their money anyway - so why not do it right this time?

Besides, I dont see anything BLATANTLY wrong with my source anyway. Audigy2zs digital out to HK330 for DAC to amp to 650s.

i don't believe the Audigy has a bit perfect optical output. to me, that is blatant.

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Please let me give you some friendly advice. I didn't mean to offend you or anything. Plus, you already bought the GS-1, which is one pimpin amp.

I am just an advocate of source first. The source is going to influence the sound you hear more than the amp does. I'd rather have an expensive source and a mediocre amp than an expensive amp and a mediocre source. By doing it this way, you get better sound for the money.

I am just saying that instead of purchasing a Singlepower, you may want to put that $1000 on a pimpin source.

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Please let me give you some friendly advice. I didn't mean to offend you or anything. Plus, you already bought the GS-1, which is one pimpin amp.

I am just an advocate of source first. The source is going to influence the sound you hear more than the amp does. I'd rather have an expensive source and a mediocre amp than an expensive amp and a mediocre source. By doing it this way, you get better sound for the money.

I am just saying that instead of purchasing a Singlepower, you may want to put that $1000 on a pimpin source.

Thanks Teerawit. I will keep that in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Anyhow, I don't know about the HK330.. Might be fantastic, might be turds.

The HK doesnt sound like turd akwok, there is a huge diff. when I have the Audigy2zs do the DAConversion and the HK doing the DAConversion.... it's not even funny.

Jul 10, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Thanks Teerawit. I will keep that in mind.

The HK doesnt sound like turd akwok, there is a huge diff. when I have the Audigy2zs do the DAConversion and the HK doing the DAConversion.... it's not even funny.

Well.. the Audigy 2ZS is WAY beyond turds. Like.. radioactive turds.
icon10.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Well.. the Audigy 2ZS is WAY beyond turds. Like.. radioactive turds.
icon10.gif

Grrr... its DAC isnt very good I can tell you that. But otherwise, there aint no other card that can game like it so HAH!

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #29 of 31
There are a lot of great sounding headphone amplifiers out there, the choice really comes down to a lot of factors which arre mostly personal. I applaud your thorough research of the options out there and I'm sure you're going to love the GS-1, it's a first rate amplifer!
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Grrr... its DAC isnt very good I can tell you that. But otherwise, there aint no other card that can game like it so HAH!

You could always grab another card and have a dual sound card setup. I'm currently using an audigy 2 for gaming only... everything else would have to go through my m-audio revo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back