The Gilmore GS1 is coming!!
Jul 10, 2005 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
After many days of going back and forth between tubes and solid state, between PPX Slam and PPX stock, between MPX stock vs PPX Slam, between GS1 and Glite+DPS, between GS1 and Dynahi, between Wooaudio3 and PPX, and for a moment... even considered the $2000 Singlepower Supra
eek.gif
(I was serious about it too).... I finally made my decision.

I have to thank five headfiers in particular:

- Thanks SACDlover for all your great information regarding tubes (your passion) and the gs1 (which you found to be the best SS amp you have heard so far). You really helped me understand the concept and the neatness behind tube rolling and tube amps in general. You almost sold me on the PPX slam and I am sure it is a great amp! Thanks for all the emails and all the pms. You were a great tube-mentor!

- Thanks Kevin Gilmore for your insight of all the Gilmore designs and of solid state amps in general, you were a real help and the reason why I ultimately ended up with the GS1. You my man are a genius!
icon10.gif

- Thanks to GPalmer for your insight between the intricacies and differences between tubes and solid state - you really tied it very nicely last night and you really made me think before I slept. Your pm helped me prioritize my needs in an amp and helped me choose the GS1.

- Thanks to Justin at headamp for being a very stand up guy. He offered me the Glite+DPS combo even though it cost less when I asked him for an amp recommendation.... any other maker would offer the more expensive item and Justin didnt. Also, he is helping me mod the GS1 with a plexy on top with vents... so kudos to Justin!!
icon10.gif

- Thanks to akwok also! You crazy man, you are another reason why the GS1 appealed to me.... I cant have you beat me!
tongue.gif

The REASONS why I chose the GS1 over the other amps were these:

- I decided that tube amps were more work to get the sound right (but when you do... OHHHH BOY!!), I wanted an amp that would be neutral, transparent, and dynamic to get the fidelity of my source right - that's all. I predict the GS1 to be less maintenance and less upkeep compared to if I got a PPX.
- I got the GS1 over the mighty Glite+DPS combo because of the extra trinkets that I could use in the future, the modules that *could* be upgraded, and the easier to mod chassis. The stacked Glite+DPS looked mighty tempting though!
- I also was this close to buying a Dynahi from the FS section... however, I realized that I like knowing that the manufacturer is there ready to help for the next three years in case my $750 investment goes awry sometime in the future. I'm sure the Dynahi is a nice amp, but its large size and cumbersome looks (I mean come on, it aint a GS1 in looks) just turned me away as I wanted to display the amp on my desk.
- The "Singlepower vs Gilmore" POLL told me to buy the GS1.... lol!! You guys told me how to spend 8 days worth of work pay!! Stupid HeadFi!
tongue.gif

Thats how I made my decision.

I will do a thorough test on the amp and will compare it to my headphone out of my Harman Kardon AVR330 to see if the GS1 is INDEED an upgrade or not. I am hoping that it is because back it goes to Justin if it aint.

Speaking of which.... lets have a poll!!

*I love polls!*

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 31
What source will you be connecting the GS-1 to?

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 31
Source will be PC - Audigy 2zs but I also have a Samsung DVD-player for cds.

The DAC will by my HK330 and I dont think I need any kind of DAC because of this.

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 31
Congratulations on the amp Joey. I am glad you finally decided on one... you were wearing me out.
icon10.gif
I think the GS-1 is the best choice for you.
cool.gif

Just dont read the Boston head-fi meet impressions.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 31
Someone actually voted that the GS1 will be returned... ? LOL...

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Congratulations on the amp Joey. I am glad you finally decided on one... you were wearing me out.
icon10.gif
I think the GS-1 is the best choice for you.
cool.gif

Just dont read the Boston head-fi meet impressions.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I could tell I was wearing you out... you werent responding as quick anymore! LOL... thanks my friend... you are great!
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 31
I'm going to take a stab at this -- others, feel free to comment also -- the GS-1 is going to make a noticeable difference from your previous rig. However, the difference may not be as pronounced as you think, until you upgrade your source! Good thing is, the GS-1 will grow as your source improves.

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
I could tell I was wearing you out... you werent responding as quick anymore! LOL... thanks my friend... you are great!
biggrin.gif

Actually... I had to work late yesterday and come home to do the lawn... up early today to take the car to the repair shop, get a haircut, take the cat to the vet, go grocery shopping with the wife, walk the dogs and then find a birthday present for my daughter. Anyway, you will like the GS-1... its a honey and one of the best amp values I can think of.
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I wear sacd_lover out regularly too, i'm one of those persistent gnats that keeps annoying him for amp impressions
tongue.gif

I've been pondering the Gilmore Vs Singlepower question for a while now too, but i think i'll be choosing the latter. EdipisReks's excellent tuberolling review, plus remarks i've heard about PPX3/SA5K synergy were the clincher for me - i'll go for a ppx3 with solen 1's to start my amp journey, with the likes of Supra or Maestro looming somewhere in the distance.

Congrats on your decision for the GS-1, remember to post thorough impressions for us
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 31
Cool man, I was mentioned. Woo.

Hey.. you know what matches perfectly with the GS-1? [size=medium] The VDA-1/VAC-1 combo..
eggosmile.gif
[/size]

Back on topic.. the amp will DESTROY the Harmon Kardon without breaking a sweat. Simple logic : HK really couldn't have put in that much work in a HEADPHONE jack on a SPEAKER amp. From what I've tried, I've stuck my headphones (SA5000) into a bunch of my Uncle's high end speaker setups and it sounds like turds.. headphone amps are meant for headphones, speaker amps for speakers :).

Hope you enjoy it!

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

You almost sold me on the PPX slam and I am sure it is a great amp!

You fool! lol j/k

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Also, he is helping me mod the GS1 with a plexy on top with vents... so kudos to Justin!!
icon10.gif

Make sure to take plenty of pics to show off this sexy beast
biggrin.gif
Oh and happy listening
600smile.gif

Yes you can say MURDER
icon10.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
I'm going to take a stab at this -- others, feel free to comment also -- the GS-1 is going to make a noticeable difference from your previous rig. However, the difference may not be as pronounced as you think, until you upgrade your source! Good thing is, the GS-1 will grow as your source improves.

I will have to agree on this one. I usually use my GS-1 with a RME card and I definitely notice an improvement to just connect the the phones directly to the line-out of the card

However, the difference is not really barnstorming, but I do get better, linear, dynamics and added air and finesse to the sound. . I don’t have any experience from your HK amp and the audigy.

If I connecting the GS-1 to a dedicated CDP, well, that is something quite different! Together with a Marantz CD6000OSE the improvement is major in comparison to the head-phone out of the player it self. If I connect the GS-1 with my Classè CDP I hear that that player really needed better amplification than e.g. a Marantz PM8000 speaker amp (5 year old €500 amp in Class A drive). The Classè and GS-1 make a very nice couple.

Unfortunately, I haven’t followed you quest for an amp very closely, and I understood some of it also went via PM´s
confused.gif
. I think I have been deliberately reserved in the question, not being entirely sure how I find the GS-1, and your expectations of an amp. A pity, one might find, considering I use a GS-1 in a similar set-up as you will.

I think I would like to say that you will have a very, very good amp for your application. The real yaw-drop will, however, wait till the first time you use it with a good CDP. I think you will have many years of pleasure with your GS-1. Please tell us all about your impressions once it is in your hands!

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #15 of 31
dont run any of the signals through your HK receiver before it gets to the headphone amp.

Just directly connect your source to the amp.

I have an hk 225 and the headphone out is pretty good, my t-200 amp was way better however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back