The geneology thread (or "Know your fellow Head-Fi'ers")
Nov 3, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #18 of 34
Moo: I hate you so much more now. New Historicism has got to be the most ridiculous and obscene thing to happen to literature since high literacy rates.
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #22 of 34
I'm supposedly a descendant of "Rob Roy" the 17th century Scottish rebel. He's also the name of a famous alcoholic beverage
rolleyes.gif

Mark

Nov 4, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 34
There is a town named after my family in western Pennsylvania...very, very small town. Robert E. Lee is somehow related to my wife. Also my wife tells me she is related to some infamous Count from Germany that was soooooooo "mean and yucky" that his own subjects murdered him.

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by finleyville
There is a town named after my family in western Pennsylvania...very, very small town. Robert E. Lee is somehow related to my wife. Also my wife tells me she is related to some infamous Count from Germany that was soooooooo "mean and yucky" that his own subjects murdered him.

Wow, you sure know how to pick 'em.

Nov 4, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Not sure if anyone cares, but I'm originally from Poland. I'm 100%!
biggrin.gif
Jest ktos kto mowi po polsku?

From my knowledge of Russian, I'd put forth the following translation:
Jest means "is there", "ktos" means "someone," "kto" means "who," "mowi," means "can," and "po polsku" means "in Polish." Altogether, is there someone who can speak Polish? Russian version: "Jest lee zdes ktoto kto mozhet govoreet po polskij?"

Nov 4, 2002 at 9:57 AM Post #28 of 34
I am related to Rin Tin Tin. I think he was my dads cousin.
Rumor has it that the wolf in little red riding hood was based on one of my ancestors. It's just a rumor.

My wife is related to that one outlaw in the old west, what was his name? Oh yeah, Jesse James.

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by x1lexure
MY great great Uncle was the first to jump off of Niagra falls in a rubber barrel and live.

You have a great legacy of suicidal recklessness to live up to. I suggest professional Russian Roulette.

Nov 4, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #30 of 34
My Great Great Grandfather was an official of the NUM (National Union of Miners) and was a major influence in the coalminers union in South Wales (That's one of the countries that makes up the UK). He was based in the pits of Rhonda Valley and mined for best Welsh Anthracite Coal for many years.

In the mid 1920's, he called an all-out strike at the first coal mine which escalated to the great miners strike that lasted for many months. Because of this he was more or less driven out of the area and he later settled in Hull, East Yorkshire (where the family has lived ever since).

My great grandfather was a sailor and during World War II he was sunk Four times on one particular day whilst based in the Mediterranean. Firstly on the Whaler Thorgim, then on an Arctic Trawler, he was picked up by the HMS Kelly (commanded by Lord Louis Mountbatten) which was sunk around 30 minutes after he boarded it, and finally he made it to Alexandria Harbour after having spent 8 hours recovering form his ordeal and having been continually bombed and straffed by German Luftwaffe aircraft throughout - whilst passing through the boom at Alexandria the ship sunk and he ended up in hospital for 6 months with rheumatic fever.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back