The Gaming Claw of DOOM!
Mar 21, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #16 of 52
I just realised, you aren't much of a PC gamer eh?
blink.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dark Alliance was a dumbed-down-for-the-console-market dungeon crawler. It was nothing more than a hack n slash. Trust me, the comparisons between Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate (1&2) are of name only.

Ah ok no wonder, makes sense then that I didn´t like it that much.

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

"So You Want to Be a Hero", eh?
icon10.gif
A Classic. Did they ever do more than one of those?

Quest for Glory I, II, III, IV, V. =T

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 52
Nah. My family didn't get a computer until the middle of highschool, so I grew up on console games. Much like PC die hards, I'm a console junkie. I do love PC gaming though. I played the crap outta Warcraft I&II, Starcraft, Wolfenstein (original, SoD and Return to), Doom 2 (used to mod, too) and if I think back far enough, I can remember playing TEXT adventures like The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the earliest CGA games, like the Sierra ones mentioned.

That said, despite not owning a PC until later than most, I cut my teeth on BBS games like Barren Realms Elite (I'd still love to play this one) and Dope Wars.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I played Baldur´s Gate Dark Alliance on the PS2. Graphics were great (water effects especially, and the reflections on icy walls, stunning). In fact I remember reading that the 3D graphics engine in BGDA was quite a remarkable one. But the story and gameplay I didn´t find it special. RPGs in general were never to my liking though.

I wasn't even thinking of DA when I wrote that. DA is complete crap.

PC BG is a spiritual experience. Once you hit BG 2, you have reached gaming Nirvana.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 52
Anyone remember Full Throttle? I recently played it from beginning to end a few months back. =] It's such a good game.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone remember Full Throttle? I recently played it from beginning to end a few months back. =] It's such a good game.

Great game indeed.

Look at my avatar and guess what kind of games I like.

I played a lot of the adventure games when I was a few years younger. Monkey Island I & II, Simon the sorcerer, Day of the Tentacle etc.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Dark Alliance was a dumbed-down-for-the-console-market dungeon crawler. It was nothing more than a hack n slash. Trust me, the comparisons between Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate (1&2) are of name only.

BGII is hands down the deepest RPG experience on the market.

Planescape: Torment was better.
icon10.gif

Better supporting characters, tighter storyline, better art direction and, of course, the Nameless One. It also does a better job of sidestepping the highlevelitis that BGII suffers from.

My only real gripes with the Infinity engine games are that combat is real time and pathfinding sucks. Even though the game was brutally flawed and featured a rather thin story, Temple of Elemental Evil did a much better take on D&D tactical combat. Pathfinding is still a major technical bugaboo (Supreme Commader gets nods for the absolute worst pathfinding ever), but the J-RPG convention of collapsing your party onto a single character when not in combat would neatly sidestep this issue in small party games.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

BGII is hands down the deepest RPG experience on the market.

Planescape Torment probably wins for that, although Baldur's Gate II gave you more freedom.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #25 of 52
Any other twitch gamers? If there's a single genre I spend the most time with, it's playing, replaying, throwing the controller a little, then replaying scrolling shooters, complete with screenfuls of bullets.

246px-Vic_Viper_T301.jpg

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Any other twitch gamers? If there's a single genre I spend the most time with, it's playing, replaying, throwing the controller a little, then replaying scrolling shooters, complete with screenfuls of bullets.

lol, the Megaman series is my fav of those types of games

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #30 of 52
i feel the same way, i have a nice computer and i occasionally like to play racing or murder simulations on PC, but i have not had interest in console gaming past the early days of PS2. i play mostly old school action on SNES, Saturn and Dreamcast. some RPG on the PS1/2, some puzzle games here and there (SNES Tetris Attack is perfection) . i'm still a 2D gamer and wish the new consoles would do some fast challenging 2d games with detailed sprites and zero slowdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back