The Future of Batteries
Mar 30, 2005 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Cyclone

Headphoneus Supremus
Toshiba has developed a new battery that can be charged 80% in 1 minute, thats right not 1 hour, 1 minute. Its still a prototype battery but it is already being planed for testing in a few lines of mobile phones and other devices. This battery also fatigues less than the current Lithium-Ion batteries. It only looses 1% of its capacity over 1000 charges. I hope that this is the way battery technology will go, with this battery there will be much less need to have a removable battery because even if you forget to charge your player/phone all you have to do is stick it on the charger for a little over a minute or two to get over 80% of your battery life back. There will still be the issue of the battery eventually dying from charging fatigue but this is also reduced with the new technology. Prices are likely to be high in the beginning but mellow out after it is an established technology, just like the current Lithium-Ion batteries.

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 7
If you assume that one charge will hold through a day's use (depending on the size of the battery and such), using it for 5 years would lose you <5% of the charge capacity for sure. Which means, if you think about it, that the HDD in your DAP is quite likely to fail before you have to replace your battery.

Mar 30, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Kinetic is the way to go, not batteries. If only they were efficient enough for HDD players!
lambda.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 7
I don't really care about charge time, I just want a laptop battery that can provide at least 8 hours of full-out computing and is significantly lighter and smaller than today's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back