The first proper PC gaming/movies surround audio setup
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #16 of 23
The Audeze Mobius appear to be self powered Bluetooth (wireless) headphones.
The Xonar U7 does not output Bluetooth, so does not work with Bluetooth headphones.

Feb 16, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #17 of 23
So would you say that a U7 is enough to power something like Audeze Mobius and Logitech Z906 at the same time?
I misspoke, I meant to say drive instead of power. I also was speaking about the headphones not the speakers. Can Xonar U7 drive something like Audeze Mobius by itself, or does it need an additional HP amp?

It doesn't need to power the Z706, it has its own built in amplifier. All the U7 will do is control the output.

As for simultaneously...why? Unless the games can put all comms (even in-game with AI characters and game advisers like the geisha or lady that pops up on the upper left on Total War) on the headphones and everything else around you so it sounds like you're on a comms system amid all the noise of an actual battlefield, I don't see why you'd want that.

In any case, it's not the power that will be a problem considering the Mobius is primarily a portable with its own amp built in (I think it bypasses the built in amp when hooked up), but that chances are you can only choose one output. On a DAC-HPamp for example if you have active monitors or a power amp driving speakers on the preamp output, that output gets cut when a headphone is inserted into the headphone jack, and for those that have output selectors like the AudioGD, you can only flick the switch to do one but not both.

EDIT: I just looked up the Mobius again and it looks like it's not just a wireless headphone, it appears to have its own DSP. Are you sure you don't want to just use its DSP and hook up the speakers to the motherboard's 5.1 output?

If not which DAC-HPamp for headphones should I run via the U7's digital output?

U7 will be enough for the Moebius. I'd worry about power if you get an LCD-x or HE560 later.

Can I use Cyberlinks PowerDVD with something that already comes with it's own sofware, like the X7?

Didn't have a problem with my U3 and any player program.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #18 of 23
It doesn't need to power the Z706, it has its own built in amplifier. All the U7 will do is control the output.

As for simultaneously...why? Unless the games can put all comms (even in-game with AI characters and game advisers like the geisha or lady that pops up on the upper left on Total War) on the headphones and everything else around you so it sounds like you're on a comms system amid all the noise of an actual battlefield, I don't see why you'd want that.

In any case, it's not the power that will be a problem considering the Mobius is primarily a portable with its own amp built in (I think it bypasses the built in amp when hooked up), but that chances are you can only choose one output. On a DAC-HPamp for example if you have active monitors or a power amp driving speakers on the preamp output, that output gets cut when a headphone is inserted into the headphone jack, and for those that have output selectors like the AudioGD, you can only flick the switch to do one but not both.

EDIT: I just looked up the Mobius again and it looks like it's not just a wireless headphone, it appears to have its own DSP. Are you sure you don't want to just use its DSP and hook up the speakers to the motherboard's 5.1 output?

U7 will be enough for the Moebius. I'd worry about power if you get an LCD-x or HE560 later.

Didn't have a problem with my U3 and any player program.

What I meant was: is U7 is enough to power both Audeze Mobius and Logitech Z906 or is extra hardware needed?

I don't want to use Audeze Mobius as a bluetooth headphone because bluetooth adds too much latency. It's not optimal when gaming. Also the motherboard has to be close to the headphone for the bluetooth to work properly. According to reviews and feedback on this forum, however, Audeze Mobius seems to be an excellent choice for gaming/movies. I just want to use it wired. Will it use its own DSP even when wired? Otherwise, I could get a U7 or an X7 and use software for surround sound and call it a day.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 23
What I meant was: is U7 is enough to power both Audeze Mobius and Logitech Z906 or is extra hardware needed?

I don't want to use Audeze Mobius as a Bluetooth headphone because Bluetooth adds too much latency. It's not optimal when gaming. Also the motherboard has to be close to the headphone for the Bluetooth to work properly. According to reviews and feedback on this forum, however, Audeze Mobius seems to be an excellent choice for gaming/movies. I just want to use it wired. Will it use its own DSP even when wired? Otherwise, I could get a U7 or an X7 and use software for surround sound and call it a day.
Both the Audeze Mobius and Z906 are self-powered, so the Xonar U7 would not power or drive them in any way.
The Xonar U7 might send them an audio signal, thru wired connection, but no power.
If you do not plan on using the Modius's wireless feature, then it does not really make sense to buy the Modius, as there are other good wired options.

Feb 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #20 of 23
Both the Audeze Mobius and Z906 are self-powered, so the Xonar U7 would not power or drive them in any way.
The Xonar U7 might send them an audio signal, thru wired connection, but no power.
If you do not plan on using the Modius's wireless feature, then it does not really make sense to buy the Modius, as there are other good wired options.

I guess I am back to square one. In your original post you adviced to get a 2.1 self-powered setup from JBL and a matching sub-woofer for $700+. Could you please specify, i.e. which speakers and subwoofer?

Do you still think I should get the Audio-GD NFB-11.28 + Beyerdynamic T90?

Does Cyberlinks PowerDVD do the same thing as Media Player Classic? I mean, if I play a Blu-Ray using Media Player Classic will it simulate DTS 7.1 if Beyerdynamic T90 is used as output?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 23

Like I said, just hook them all up to the U7. Mobius doesn't need a lot of power, Z706 doesn't even need power.

I don't want to use Audeze Mobius as a bluetooth headphone because bluetooth adds too much latency. It's not optimal when gaming. Also the motherboard has to be close to the headphone for the bluetooth to work properly. According to reviews and feedback on this forum, however, Audeze Mobius seems to be an excellent choice for gaming/movies. I just want to use it wired. Will it use its own DSP even when wired? Otherwise, I could get a U7 or an X7 and use software for surround sound and call it a day.

If you're using the Mobius wireless you need the software. If you use it wired and it just works without the software running, then chances are the entire active circuit - DSP, DAC, amp - on the Mobius are bypassed.

That said chances are the reason why some people praise it as being good for gaming is probably because they don't notice latency and they don't give up the convenience of wireless, even if for example they might otherwise have the LCD-2 (and then have an mITX LAN rig or a microATX running SLi and dont want any external soundcard either).

Does Cyberlinks PowerDVD do the same thing as Media Player Classic? I mean, if I play a Blu-Ray using Media Player Classic will it simulate DTS 7.1 if Beyerdynamic T90 is used as output?

You don't select the T90 as the output, you select the AudioGD (or the headphone out on Windows if you're plugging into the motherboard).

My desktop is broken so I can't check Cyberlink but there's one media player app in there with built in Dolby Headphones. It's what I used before I had the Xonar U3. After I got it I just set the movies to play 5.1 and and the soundcard will do the rest.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #22 of 23
Thank you very much for your extensive contribution!

I just want to have a setup that will work in most cases when playing games (I mosty play modern AAA titles) and watching blu-rays. I don't want to have to tweak software a lot. Will the external soundcards you have listed allow me to do so?

@Pradegrandis,

Apologies for the delay in reply.

Short answer is yes.
Added software depends on you but unnecessary for your overall needs.

Also, VLC is capable of handling most if not all your needs regarding blu rays.

Hope you have a great day !

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 23
I guess I am back to square one. In your original post you adviced to get a 2.1 self-powered setup from JBL and a matching sub-woofer for $700+. Could you please specify, i.e. which speakers and subwoofer?

Do you still think I should get the Audio-GD NFB-11.28 + Beyerdynamic T90?

Audio-GD NFB-11.28 and Beyer T90 are what i like to use :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back