The first production Supermono?
Oct 1, 2004 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

bahamaman

1000+ Head-Fier
A couple of days ago, I emailed Xin (info@fixup.net) seeking information on the proper configuration of the Supermono I intended to order once they were officially released. On a lark, I asked if I could go ahead and send him a cashier's check now (realizing that he had always indicating a reluctance to accept "pre-orders").

To my surprise, he was willing to accept my email order. If you're curious, here is what I ordered:

1. The "standard" (intermediate) version @ $249.99 in aluminum

2. On his recommendation, I upgraded to the OPA627s and added three stacked buffers (@$90 total).

Has anyone else attempted to order? If so, how have you configured it? In case you're wondering, Xin was comfortable with my publicly indicating that I had made an order, even though the release hasn't been made official.

Oct 2, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
A couple of days ago, I emailed Xin (info@fixup.net) seeking information on the proper configuration of the Supermono I intended to order once they were officially released. On a lark, I asked if I could go ahead and send him a cashier's check now (realizing that he had always indicating a reluctance to accept "pre-orders").

To my surprise, he was willing to accept my email order. Has anyone else attempted to order? If so, how have you configured it? In case you're wondering, Xin was comfortable with my publicly indicating that I had made an order, even though the release hasn't been made official.

Yessir!! Confirmed order for one of the "Featured" models yesterday! The Featured unit is the one with the four switches, two of which I pretty much leave permanently on when using my SuperDual/Ety ER4P combo (imped & bass boost).

I took the free sample route as suggested by Dr. Xin on his fixup.net web forum and it appears to be successful. TI.com is sending me samples of OPA627/OPA637 and BUF634 for free (including shipping). I'll burn in the default OPA134 chips first and see how I like the sound before attempting to roll the others. Dr. Xin says he'll install them if I'm uncomfortable doing it - another reason I buy Xin amps, the man is really customer service oriented!! Needless to say I'm pumped!

Oct 3, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 51
If you get "featured" model, do you HAVE to buy all four switches? I only want the "imp" and "bass boost" for my Ety 4P.

And how many 627, 637, and BUF634 does the SuperMono take?

Oct 3, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
If you get "featured" model, do you HAVE to buy all four switches? I only want the "imp" and "bass boost" for my Ety 4P.

And how many 627, 637, and BUF634 does the SuperMono take?

you can either use two 627 or two 637. one for each channel. the buffers on the other hand you may want xin to put in for you if you can't solder, i think it's more complicated than just poppin in. but i heard three BUF634 stacked is a good way to go.

Oct 3, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 51
Jon L - my understanding is that the four switches are an all-or-nothing proposition. I don't believe you can choose just two of the four.

Oct 3, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Yessir!! Confirmed order for one of the "Featured" models yesterday! The Featured unit is the one with the four switches, two of which I pretty much leave permanently on when using my SuperDual/Ety ER4P combo (imped & bass boost).

I took the free sample route as suggested by Dr. Xin on his fixup.net web forum and it appears to be successful. TI.com is sending me samples of OPA627/OPA637 and BUF634 for free (including shipping). I'll burn in the default OPA134 chips first and see how I like the sound before attempting to roll the others. Dr. Xin says he'll install them if I'm uncomfortable doing it - another reason I buy Xin amps, the man is really customer service oriented!! Needless to say I'm pumped!

Which types of 627/637/634 is used?

OPA627 AP or BP (I assume Xin uses PDIP)
BUF634P? (also PDIP)

Thanks

Oct 3, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Which types of 627/637/634 is used?

OPA627 AP or BP (I assume Xin uses PDIP)
BUF634P? (also PDIP)

Thanks

Xin sayed on his site that "You look for the DIP versions (not the smaller SMD SOIC version): 627/637AP and BP, BUF634P. The ones with 8 legs (4 per side) that you can plug into a socket."

Oct 3, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you can either use two 627 or two 637. one for each channel. the buffers on the other hand you may want xin to put in for you if you can't solder, i think it's more complicated than just poppin in. but i heard three BUF634 stacked is a good way to go.

Not really sure whether or not the BUF634s snap in to sockets, but Xin's fixup.net forum seems to suggest you can DIY. Based on my readings on buffers, more is definitely better. It puts me in somewhat of a tough call, as I have an order in to TI for the opamps and buffer chips, AND my SuperMono order is in as well. Xin says he'll put the hardware in if I send it to him (so he doesn't have to charge me), but I've told him if I had my druthers I'd just as soon he ship me the amp ASAP. That's why I figure I'll just burn in the default OPA134s and see what they're all about, and then decide if I'll roll the 627s or ask him for some help.

Oct 3, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 51
Sorry to slightly drift OT, but do you all think the SuperMono will drop in price as time goes on? Or will the prices currently offered be pretty much set for the SuperMono's lifetime?

Oct 3, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Not really sure whether or not the BUF634s snap in to sockets, but Xin's fixup.net forum seems to suggest you can DIY. Based on my readings on buffers, more is definitely better. It puts me in somewhat of a tough call, as I have an order in to TI for the opamps and buffer chips, AND my SuperMono order is in as well. Xin says he'll put the hardware in if I send it to him (so he doesn't have to charge me), but I've told him if I had my druthers I'd just as soon he ship me the amp ASAP. That's why I figure I'll just burn in the default OPA134s and see what they're all about, and then decide if I'll roll the 627s or ask him for some help.

I believe what it is is that you can snap in one buffer in each channel - so buy two BUF of a DIP nature. if you want to stack buffers, it's DIY time, as soldering SOIC buffers on top of a browndog then snapping that into the sockets seems to be the way to go. since i have no diy skills, i told my friend to order the buffers, but that i could probably snap in the op amps for him that he got from TI.com.

Oct 3, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I believe what it is is that you can snap in one buffer in each channel - so buy two BUF of a DIP nature. if you want to stack buffers, it's DIY time, as soldering SOIC buffers on top of a browndog then snapping that into the sockets seems to be the way to go. since i have no diy skills, i told my friend to order the buffers, but that i could probably snap in the op amps for him that he got from TI.com.

Ahhh. Thus the moniker "stacked buffers". I believe you are correct. My TI order includes a couple of the BUF634s, however I think the SM comes with two already, so unless I'm ready to DIY the extra hardware may do me no good.

Oct 3, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 51
Anyone else having a hard time requesting samples? I just keep getting a vb error.. request null...

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 51
Looks like Xin is about to release the SuperMono. If you look at his forum, he's removed all the threads related to the SM, I would assume because release is imminent. (Not to mention your guys' preorders!)

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 51
well i preordered a while back

and for some reason he offered me an option of 4 buffers which i jumped on, thought there was a max of 3 but...

what have the rest of you heard about 3 or 4 buffers?

Oct 6, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by rellik
well i preordered a while back

and for some reason he offered me an option of 4 buffers which i jumped on, thought there was a max of 3 but...

what have the rest of you heard about 3 or 4 buffers?

I ordered mine with OPA637 and 3 buffers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back