The first person to listen to the HD 598 CS Closed Back
Nov 28, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #31 of 45
  So far I've only listened to the 598 Cs for a few hours, but I took a liking to them immediately. There's not much sub bass to speak of, and I found the mids a little lacking, but I think they're great for $100. Their sound may be too laid back for some though. 

Sennheiser is marketing them as a portable headphone, but for me they're a little bulky for that, also they don't fold up for storage. Isolation is about average for a closed headphone. I have a very large head and big ears, and I find them quite comfortable. The clamp might be a little strong for me though.

Nice. 

I feel like there's more than an enough bass and sub bass actually. On 99% of my songs the bass level is great! But on less than like half a percent, I've had to EQ the bass DOWN a bit actually. 

I dunno, the mids sound just fine to me. Vocals and drums come through VERY clearly on these. 

They don't fold up, but I'd say they're small enough to be considered portable, esp if you buy the sweet hard case I got for them. The isolation isn't perfect on these, but I'd still say for the most part you have to get them pretty loud for sound to really leak out. Yes, their comfort is EXCELLENT! The oval-shaped ear cups were a smart idea, and not only is the soundstage great (thanks to the nicely angled speakers) , but the extra space between your ears and speakers gives my music a bit more room to breathe, making them even more enjoyable. 

The clamp............I'd just keep stretching it out. Eventually I think it will loosen up a bit. I had that issue with both the 598 and 598 SE, but I don't with the Cs really at all. With the 598 & 598 SE, I angled the top of the ear cups inward, and that improved their comfort a lot. I don't have to do this however with the Cs. The smooth (vs. ribbed of the 598/598 SE) headband padding is also another reason why they're even more comfortable than those two. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #32 of 45
Got this headphone from amazon blackfriday. The sound quality wad not the best. But it was certainly not the worst.

Lack of sub bass really was the minus here. For the mid, this is the best in the class. I had fidelio x2 (amazon cost $250) and would easily recommend this x2 to everyone. But since sennheiser hd 598 cs price was down to $130 from $250, it was hard to resist.

If both was sold for the same price X2 was the way to go.

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #33 of 45
Got this headphone from amazon blackfriday. The sound quality wad not the best. But it was certainly not the worst.

Lack of sub bass really was the minus here. For the mid, this is the best in the class. I had fidelio x2 (amazon cost $250) and would easily recommend this x2 to everyone. But since sennheiser hd 598 cs price was down to $130 from $250, it was hard to resist.

If both was sold for the same price X2 was the way to go.

Well the X2s are open-back, so they kind of have an advantage there. lol 

They look nice though, the X2s. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #34 of 45
Well the X2s are open-back, so they kind of have an advantage there. lol 

They look nice though, the X2s. 

Closed back tend to have a better bass than open back. But in sennheiser I don't get that. I had monoprice headphones which cost a lot cheaper than this sennheiser with better sound quality. Sennheiser win in build quality.

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #35 of 45
Closed back tend to have a better bass than open back. But in sennheiser I don't get that. I had monoprice headphones which cost a lot cheaper than this sennheiser with better sound quality. Sennheiser win in build quality.

I dunno. The bass on the Cs seems fine to me. But yeah, closed-backs do typically have better bass than open-backs. 

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #38 of 45
I'm loving these cans, using them at work. They do not close out a lot of sound but no one seems to hear what you are playing. The pads are awesome, so comfy. Sound great direct from my iBasso DX80 without an amp. Sennheiser really did well here

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #41 of 45
Anyone else find this release a bit weird? I get the impression that these have not had much thought or development into them. The 569 just came out as well, the specs are the same, they look similar but the 598 should sound better if you go by serial?
Amazon reviews on UK site are poor overall.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #43 of 45
  Ok. Got them. Not impressed but they haven't burn in yet.The real question is:
CAN WE BASS MOD THEM?
Like the HD-439,449.etc...

I am going to answer my own question: No bass mod for the HD-598cs. They do not have the same design, no tape to remove.

However, after burn-in they dramatically improve in audio quality and bass. In general, they may need a tad eq bass, they are not a good suggestion for bassheads. But they do sound great! And their price if you get them on sale is a steal.

Recomended!

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #44 of 45
I recently bought a DT770i and discovered its mids are too much for me, especially with electric guitars. Like genuinely painful.

These were recommended to me and I'm looking for something very gentle/relaxed sounding - would they fit the the bill?

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #45 of 45
  I recently bought a DT770i and discovered its mids are too much for me, especially with electric guitars. Like genuinely painful.

These were recommended to me and I'm looking for something very gentle/relaxed sounding - would they fit the the bill?

Not really. They have boosted upper mids and recessed lower mids. If you don't mind open-backs, the original HD 598 (SE) are better in that region, but have less deep bass. For "very gentle/relaxed" closed backs I recommend Bose SoundTrue Around Ear II if you can still find it. They don't have any peaks but still dynamic and enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back