The First Music List Ever Compiled by Your Local Psychiatric Ward Rabbit
Jul 14, 2003 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Schizorabbit

Head-Fier
This is a list of some bands I reccomend to all who enjoy various genres of music, mostly derived from underground artists, you can most easily access their music from. In no particular order (except for the first mentioned)

1.) Rage Against the Machine (Not Underground)
With out any doubt, the only band that can compete with Nirvana for the most influential band of the 90's. This group is a dash of rock, a sprinkle of rap, with a touch of punk, with a bass line influenced solely by jazz, in short everything you want to hear out side of classical compiled into one band!

2.) Dredg
These guys are all emotion, you will not find a 'standard' track on either of their albums. They play what they want when they want, completely pure in sound and liquid in volume. These guys can not be classified simpy as 'rock' they are too complex for that, instead I like to put them in a class simply known as good. And thats exactly what they are.

3.) The Mars Volta
A great blend or rock with, classical, and a bit of techno (and no not that annoying trance ****), add in a vocalist trying to sound like something out of the 70's and you have a beatuifully melodic band.

4.) Shun
Perhaps the most depressing band I've heard, and I wouldn't reccomend them if their sound wasn't so God damn gorgeous. With waning and accented guitars serving as more of backround to the bass and vocalist, they create the only music worth weeping too.

5.) O.h.m.
Simply put: One kickass drummer + Two Vocalist + Eastern Style Guitar = O.h.m. . These guys are a firly standard rock band, but what seperates them from the rest is their blend of eastern tainted guitar riffs, which creates a truly unique sound.

6.) Flaw
As standard as they come, simply done better than the rest. The guitars are heavy andreflect the same style given off by Korn, but add a vocalist as talented as Arron Lewis and you have Flaw.

7.) The Juliana Theory
A great Emo band, using those thrashing chords stripped from the days of Led Zeppelin and AC/DC, then add punk. These guys are truly a joy to sit back and listen too. They are not complex not overly unique, simply a great rock band that you can kick back and have a conversation to.

8.) Flogging Molly
One of the greatest 'Drunken Irish Punk' bands of all time. And that pretty much somes it up.

9.) Dropkick Murphys
Ditto.

10.) Dispatch
The most kicked back/upbeat, truly positive joyous band ever. Their chronic use of weed comes through in their style of music. Combining Reggae with Jazz, and Folk. If you ever want to relax this is it.

11.) Stephen Lynch
This guy will make you bust up. He's hillarious, especially 'I want to F your sister' and 'hermaphridite' and 'if i were gay'.

12.) Guster
A modern day SImon and Garfunkel.

13.) VAST
One of those truely unique experiences in sound, they combine elements of NIN and classical chords with steady guitar riffs, and a vocalist using a traditional rock style of singing.

14.) Clann Zu
I have no idea how to describe these guys outside of good, besides GREAT. They have a violin player that will simply astound you with how well he is able to blend in his classical roots with modern day punk, and NIN inspired sounds. But that is the only way I can even comment on what they sound like, you'll have to listen for your self.

15.) The Postman Syndrome
Not only the origin of my screen name, but they are a band that bounce back and forth completely sporadically between a solemn sound with individual plucked notes and beautiful rolling drums to thrash death metal, completely clashing sounds, and they do it beautifully.

16.) The Special Goodness
A very Weezer 'esque' band, again great chill music.

17.) The Streets
An English rapper, what else can I say?

18.) DJ Shadow
The best sampler you'll ever hear. This man is genious. He combines soooo many different styles of music into one streamlined sound it completely astounds me as to how he ever put all those sounds together in his head.
19.) RESCUE
Completely off beat, if you hate a rock band that is off the beat, or one that anticipates or lags on notes these guys are not it, thats practically all they revolve around, but the way they do it is completely involving.

20.) Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution
A modern day Jazz band with influences from across the border.

Thats All For Now Folks- When I find more artists worth buying I'll update.

Jul 14, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 3
That's quite a list -- I only know Guster, Rage and Dispatch.
The Dispatch people went to my college -- Middlebury, so they used to play there all the time. Guster was really popular there too. I never listened to either enough to get a good idea. They played under the name "One Fell Swoop" while I was there. All of my friends loved them.

To your list I would add The American Analog Set. The album Know by Heart is fantastic -- nice and laid back, but skillfully crafted. It is some good *****.

edit: And while we are on the subject of great bands that not many have really heard of let me also add:
The Sea and Cake -- very laid back, jazzy pop.
Kelly Joe Phelps (unbelievable blues with inspired songwriting)
Yo La Tengo -- laid back (do you see a pattern?) complex electronic/analog pop.
Japancakes -- country electronica -- 'nuff said. Strangely it works.
Jim O'Rourke -- he does all sorts of stuff. Halfway to a Threeway and Bad Timing are superb.

Jul 14, 2003 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 3
The Special Goodness is "Weezer-ish" for a good reason. It shares a drummer!
biggrin.gif

I'm gunna book mark this thread for future refrence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back