The first CD transport from Little Dot will be releasing soon
Nov 5, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #46 of 176
I know
wink.gif
wink.gif

I tried encoding one of my albums once but I could never quite fit the damned thing into my cdrom drive!

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #47 of 176
I prefer vinyl soundwise. It was a completely different form of art mastering those vinyl-records than todays cd's. The process is much more time consuming and you really have to know what you're doing. IRAA is just one of the complications.. I'm of course talking about the sweet 70s records, of which no one has made proper remasters. You can't even compare a modern remaster to a vinyl-version..
Only problem is that i'm lazy..
frown.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #48 of 176
Is this "annoying coder" really serious about turning this LD-cdp thread into a trolling frenzy? He's lost the debate, yet he keeps trying.
It's like a guy is buying a ferrari, then a another guy comes in and says that don't buy this since you get much better value buying a toyota. I mean is he serious?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for that "annoying coder" -part. It's just that you remind me very much of my friend. And yes we still keep having these conversations again and again..

I'm not sure why I used a car-metaphor. I don't even like cars and they pollute.. Am I sick?

-K

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #49 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is just a technical problem, though
wink.gif
doesn't apple (I'm not an apple fanboy so I don't run their software) have some kind of coverflow thingie that lets you leaf thru cover art?

in fact, if you really think about it you can do a BETTER job with software in 'picking your next song'. you can do so much with some auto selection tools (based on lots of taggable criteria), reshuffle your playlist right in the middle (while its playing), add more to the 'queue' and so on.

I've wanted to find 2 copies of a certain song (maybe a live and a studio version). in my database driven system I can run a quick command, find the song(s) and queue them up easily. how long would that take me to search cd by cd to do a similar search?

on the computer you could simulate 'flipping thru covers' and you can do more. but in the real physical world you can only do so much. its more limited in meatspace vs cyberspace
wink.gif
wink.gif

Well you said it yourself: "simulate". the best of the best of the digital world, be it music, games, military flight simulation, the best they can achieve, is to SIMULATE the analog world! It's not the real thing even though, sometimes(very very rare imo) it can be really really close!

Both side has its up and downs and I hope these two world can coexist for another several generations to come... Ok, maybe not, just within my lifteime. The push of digital is only result of economy and the endless pursuit of convenience of today’s market driven world.

I'm not saying digital is bad, nor I'm against the technology, it's just two different experiences, and which one you prefer is entirely up to you and you only.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #50 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by wudai_e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the push of digital is only result of economy and the endless pursuit of convenience of today’s market driven world.

I remember dolby, as in dolby B and dolby C for consumers. and A for pros. and dbx for, well, those that didn't want dolby license fees
wink.gif

do you remember the NOISE level before dolby tape processing?

this was the main reason why digital made sense for audio. we got to totally ignore the magtape (and data transmission, aka, 'wires') noise when we converted the data to digital. saving 1's and 0's to tape made tape hiss irrelevant and so we lowered the effective noise floor with this big switch from pure analog to DDD.

I don't confuse compression such as mp3 with digital. 'digital' has no negative connotation to me at all.

(actually, digital was a real fine company, once. I used to work for them)
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #51 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is one semi-downside to having all your files online and not having to do physical disc mgmt anymore.

a friend of mine told me this and it seems to ring true with me, too: we find ourselves not spending as much time 'with' the music in that we often will stop a song before its done and switch to another one - BECAUSE WE CAN!
wink.gif

this *has* changed my music listening habits. back in the LP days, if I went to the trouble of cleaning a disc (taking 5-10 minutes sometimes) you can be sure that I'm going to listen to the whole 'side' straight thru.

with cd's, it became less of an issue to 'interrupt' playback. but still, I was lazy and didn't want to walk across the room, eject the disc and find another I wanted to listen to. so I often let *that* disc run to completion before fetching another.

now that its all virtual files, I can setup playlists and never have to 'go find' some music. but I will stop playback on a song at the slightest whim where I never used to do that before.

so, there sort of was a change in playback style (for myself and also my friend) when shuffling thru collections became virtual instead of physical. its a change but not necessarily for the bad. but it was a change due to HOW the data was accessed.

I can attest to this. There's also the Internet disrupting my listening (usually Head-Fi).

In my opinion you can get around it by disciplining yourself. I turn-off the monitor, move to the side of my computer table, sit on a chair voila no more urges to skip playback or move to another album. I listen from start to finish without distraction.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #54 of 176
I posted a query on the Little Dot forums earlier, to see if David or Sword would provide any information, but then their forums crashed (coincidence, conspiracy theorists?) and my post hasn't been restored yet.

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #57 of 176
Do you work for LD to be able to share that kind of info with us?

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #58 of 176
How could I have missed this? I always thought Little Dot making a DAC was a rumor. It looks like David isn't going to give away much about it.
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #59 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you work for LD to be able to share that kind of info with us?

I hope so but Not really. There is a hifi web like head-fi in somewhere and it attracts many of experieced diyers. The maker of LD drops by and posts his latest find outs some times. One day I was happen to pass by and see the thread about their new products. The thread had be updating since that day and as a member of Head fi, I'd like to keep the info synchronized with...

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #60 of 176
That's very interesting.
regular_smile .gif

What is this website?
I'd like to register and see what's going on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back