The first CD transport from Little Dot will be releasing soon
Nov 4, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 176
Are they planning to release a complete unit?

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 176
What I heard is LD is going to release a DAC and a transport at the same time, even using the same chassis..

The DAC will have unBalanced and Balanced outputs, but seems will only accept coaxial and possibly USB digital input, definitely no optical though

Not sure about whether the transport will have analogue output or not, however since it is transport, probably won't...

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 176
What is this thing?
Is that a cd player?

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is this thing?
Is that a cd player?

That picture is of the tray, drive, and pick up mechanisms only. It is literally the transport of the device, the mechanical and optical data transfer of a cd player. Most cd player manufacturers use a few 'stock' transports and build the player around it.

A pure transport is largely a box with a transport and the associated electronic guts to feed a digital out signal only, no analog (RCA). It is a basic system, but when using high quality parts can mean the best possible sourcing. The signal would be fed to a digital processor to convert it to analog for amplification then finally playback.

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 176
The sample has been in the process of building. I guess the size of the trans would be smaller than the regular cdps(think about arcam 73t or something similar). Also, a dac is coming out and both of them will be retailed around 300$.
Not sure when it'll show up but won't be too long.

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 176
A briefe intro and some specs for Philip GF8 pick up system here:

DAISy now offers the GyFalcon 8, a high end module
dedicated to CD applications. Like all our modules, it has been
meticulously tested to reach an excellent playability and
reliability. Besides, this module is especially designed for mid
to large production due to its very attractive price. Last but not
least, a DSA high level interface is available for this module.
Key features
• Extra slim loader
• Excellent reliability
• Low mechanical noise
• DSA Interface (High Level protocol)
• Extremely good playability and disc acceptance
• Compatibility with protected discs
• I2S and SPDIF signals available
• Fast average access time
• MP3 playback
• Excellent ratio quality/price
• RoHS compliant

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 176
This thing will only play CDs? Why not SACD and DVD-Audio also?
A better transport like this one improves SQ by a lot?

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 176
wait, let me check, this is 2008, right?

people CARE (??) about spinning plastic discs that are about an hour long, each from a 'transport' ?

maybe in 10 yrs they'll come up with little communication devices that we can carry in our pockets and be able to talk to each other. I am still trying to think of a good name for such a device.

wink.gif
wink.gif

get with the current century folks. cd redbook audio transports. WHAT A LAUGH!

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 176
why, though? for old-tyme reasons?

I'm curious. there are no tech advantages to playback of a single disc on an outdated playback system.

optical reads ARE worse than hard disk reads. its a known fact that 'ripping' from cd needs error correction and the streaming you get from 'non-retry' kind of i/o is inferior.

so why the love for a has-been method of bit playback?

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why, though? for old-tyme reasons?

I'm curious. there are no tech advantages to playback of a single disc on an outdated playback system.

optical reads ARE worse than hard disk reads. its a known fact that 'ripping' from cd needs error correction and the streaming you get from 'non-retry' kind of i/o is inferior.

so why the love for a has-been method of bit playback?

Because there're people such as myself who have thousands of CDs and rather listen to them as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back