The first 45 tube HP SET amp ! aka. 45 into your head !
Jul 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #17 of 26
I had always hoped a reputable builder would come up with a 45 SET that can drive both speakers and headphones, both without compromise, i.e. using properly impedance-matched transformer for headphones not resistors.  Now, start looking for some EML 45 solid plates.  Those Sylvanias are nice sounding, but :)

I miss my 45 SET for speakers..

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #18 of 26
No, 45 is the triode type. Quite silly naming, I agree :)

I have the same design as the original poster (and I have confirmed with the friend of mine who made the amp that the first one was his also), 5 tubes: a rectifier and 4 triodes. And 6 transformers. The only difference is that I do not have any volume control on it and that I use it to run the Klipschorn speakers.

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
Now, start looking for some EML 45 solid plates.  Those Sylvanias are nice sounding, but :)

Here you go, THESE are precisely my current doubts! I was planning to do just that (I am currently using 2 RCA's, but still), but some people say that EML are extremely microphonic. The others (the majority, I must admit) say that they are the gods of 45. Whom shall I believe? I am reluctant to risk wasting almost $500...

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #22 of 26

Quote:

Btw, why are you saying solid plates? Why not mesh?

I've just seen too many people reporting problems with EML meshies, including microphonics, reliability issues, needing specific (forgiving) operating points in order to work well, etc.  As far as the new balloon types, I simply have not seen much experience, good or bad.  One can always bite the bullet and take one for the team..

The EML solid plates, however, in my opinion does not lack anything sonically, that I would want to introduce mesh or otherwise. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 26
I agree, my EML Solid-plate 45's outperform all my NOS globes (and ST's) by a wide margin.
I have a pair of EML mesh 45's on order, but it seems to take a long time to get EML's if they are not in stock.

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #24 of 26
Congrats. That is a B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L amp.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #25 of 26
Thanks for your responses about EMLs!

Am I getting it right that solid plate EMLs are not more microphonic than, say, NOS RCA STs?

Did anybody try EML's fancy globes?

Btw, back to the topic of this thread, may I ask would anybody here be interested to order such an amp, maybe even in a version that could run both headphones and sensitive speakers (like Klipschorns that are rated 105 dB W/M)? Probably, they would have 2 sets of output transformers, but the rest of the hardware would be "dual use". The father of our amps might be willing to make more siblings, I can put you in touch.

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #26 of 26
I do not find them any more micophonic.  I use them in my Balancing Act headphone amp, and in my two speaker amps.

Haven't tried the EML globes yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back