The Final Four (possibly)
Dec 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hvu

100+ Head-Fier
After receiving my Westone 3 I have rediscovered audio nirvana in my portable rig but I have yet to find that in my main rig. For the pass few months I have experimented with M50, SR80, HD600 and K701 and each had there strengths and weaknesses but nothing really impressed me I always found myself going back to my HD650. While my HD650 are great and has been my main pair of headphones for years now. I am looking into either replacing them or getting a pair to complement them. I am looking for something that is more natural but something with the same or a less bass than the HD650 would work also. After hearing the K701 and Westone 3, I would like something with good treble extension and a wider soundstage like the K701. The main thing I would like to improve is level of detail and I could do without the veil Sennheiser sound. I have considered other possible headphones like the Demons, Ultrasone, Grado and a few other but none had what I was looking for. The D2000 to D7000, JVC DX1000 and Ultrasonera line sound very interesting but I am looking for a pair with less bass and I also prefer the open back headphones. I did look into the Audio-techinca line but I think they are to bassy for me. I have considered Grado HF2 and PS1000 because I do enjoy my SR80 but I don't thing it is the right fit for me because I don't like the comfort. I have tried different pads and bowls but nothing has worked for very long. I am also presuming that the HF2 and PS1000 also has a narrow soundstage like the SR80 but that is just a guess.

After reading threads and reviews I am considering:
DT880/600 recabled Silver Dragon:
At the moment they are on top of my list. I am have been reading a lot of good things about the 600ohm Beyer as they have better detail and better extension in the highs compared to the HD650.
Beyer T1 recabled Silver Dragon:
I know these are not out yet but I would like to include these headphones in the discussion at I presume a lot of owner are wondering how this compare to the other 600ohm Beyerdynamics current on the market. I was wondering if they could be worth the wait.
HD800: While I have heard great things about this headphones but also heard their is a great divide between user saying these are very picky headphones and demand the best to go with it and other user just loving these headphones.
maybe JH-13PRO:
Since I got my Westone 3 I thought why not include these as the a the best IEM on the market and is around that price range.

My current setup is my Denon 1940 or Computer & D10>TU882>HD650
I have considered either upgrading my source or my dac but I could only afford to do that if I went with the DT880/600 and that could be a possibility.
I main listen to all genre of rock such as Foo Fighters, Shinedown, Linkin Park, Guns N Roses, Chilli Peppers and Nirvana jus to name a few but I do listen to some rap, country, trance and other genre on rare occasions.
I would like to hear everyone thoughts and comments about the four and I am not in a hurry to buy.

Thanks for reading.
H.Vu

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 4
No offense, but with the music that you listed (mostly all ultra-compressed modern recordings) you are likely going to miss much of the gain you would receive from these cans (especially something so revealing like JH13). I own Westone 3s also and recordings like the music you listed really sound like garbage compared to something recorded well, and not over-compressed. So, while the cans you listed are all of course very top-tier, you might want to explore some better recorded material before upgrading anything. Remember, even BEFORE the source and the cans and everything, is the true source: the music, and if that is sub-par, then you can only reach the pinnacles of mediocrity with your equipment.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 4
While I understand where you are coming from. I already know that songs are already recorded very poorly because when I listen to Pink Floyd - Dark of the Moon everything just sounds sublime on SACD. The fact still remains is the industry tailors to the needs of the mass public rather than to the need of the few as seen in the "Loudness Wars". The same thing can be said about ipods, skullcandy and so on and the best think you can do is move onto something else. While I would love to move on a better recording I know in my mind I wouldn't enjoy the music as much as the bands and songs I like to listen to. It is like the same as mp3 vs flac people with still listen to mp3 if it best possible source they could get and I am guilty of this as well. While I have CDs and tons of flac film I still find myself listening to mp3 because I find a better source but I like the song.

So in short I would love to drop kick the industry and have they record them re record all the crappy recording but we all know that not going to happen. I am content with the music I got and right now I just looking to for something to complement or replace the my HD650.

PS MomijiTMO, I have already tried removing the foam pads in the past and I didn't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back