The final battle (for me) sennheiser hd25-1 or hd280
Mar 20, 2006 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

unlimitedx

100+ Head-Fier
Very interesting to see the debate going on for all the headphones, but drives me insane because it's so hard to make a decision on a decent headphone! It's like 2 months ago when I had to decide on a case on for my ipod- for every good review, there is a bad review, but at the end what I purchased made me happy and seemed that many way exaggerated the appearance.

With that said, please help me decide...
smily_headphones1.gif

Major concerns:

hd280- heard the band slowly cracks after even gently usage, really bulky, annoying coiled string, maybe a bit too heavy

hd-25-1 perhaps the price (since I've been aiming for $100 but I'm willing to go up if it's really better)

Good sides:
hd280- circumaural- very comfortable since it's not pressing on the ear

hd25-1---- supraural- might hurt the ear? (I just a pair of headphones that will still feel comfortable after 3 hrs)
----double banded- able to wear the headphones and a cap over (anyone confirm this?)

Thanks, all

P.S.: I'm only interested in closed headphones because I live with roommates that sit 5 feet away from me. If there is a "better" headphone, please recommend them and say why!

I listen to all sorts of music, but mainly rock/alternative rock, hip hop, rap, pop.
Also want to use them for watching movies on my laptop.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 11
Well I haven't tried the HD280, but the HD25-1 do press my ears a bit too much, even with the velour earpads. The clamp is just a tad too strong for my head, so my earlobes get sore after 30 mins of listening. The sound is quite good though.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
Also, the HD25 force will loosen with use.

I wouldn't count on it. I bought my pair well used from another Head-Fier, but the phones just clamp too much. Even the hairdryer-trick doesn't help enough and they loose some of their isolation power if loosened too much.

I guess the only valid closed phones for me would be circumaural.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 11
Mar 20, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by McRat
Also I wouldn't try using them with glasses. *ouch*

4 ears and 4 eyes works just fine for me, but the legs of my glasses are almost straight. when i put my 25-1's on i move the legs on top of the cans. that way, my 25-1's are comfortable enough for me to fall asleep during a 2 hour commute. after that, they can get uncomfortable. i have a big head tho

i think the 25-1's are ideal for commutes, but the 280 pro's are probably better for office use.

edit: i just read that you would like to watch movies with your headphones. in that case you'd better forget about the 25-1's. i tried once to watch Equilibrium with them, footsteps that should've been at least 30ft away were right in my face
eek.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 11
With regards to the HD280s..

I personally quite liked the coiled cable, I found it helped stop it getting tangled under my desk.

With my pair I've found the headband cracking to be a major problem, and I don't even try and take them out, they just stay on my desk if they're not on my head. It started off as just a few hairline cracks around the top of the headband and around the area the earpieces adjust, since then I've had fairly large chunks of plastic break off around there. I wouldn't really consider my head large or anything, they were only adjusted a few notches out from the smallest setting, ymmv of course, maybe my pair was just had slightly weaker plastic than the others.

The initial clamping force may be a problem with glasses, although it loosens up after a while.

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 11
Alot of people feel the HD280's are lifeless and analytical. The HD-25's however have a forward and agressive sound signature. Personally I have the HD-25-SP's on my head right now and I think they are very comfortable; They may get sweaty at times but they never hurt my ears. And as for the price of the HD-25's, it's probably worth it.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimitedx
P.S.: I'm only interested in closed headphones because I live with roommates that sit 5 feet away from me. If there is a "better" headphone, please recommend them and say why!

You might also want to consider AKG K271S. They are closed and better built than HD280 (no cracks). They are also much more comfortable than the other two. Soundwise - powered from a decent amplifier, K271S sound much nicer than HD280 and HD25-1. BTW, to my ears HD25-1 sound worse than HD280. HD25-1 just have too much bass. When listening to HD25-1 I have an impression that there is BASS, highs and nothing in between - mids are "overlapped" by BASS. Maybe it's just the original, steel stock cable...? However HD25-1 are definitely the most portable cans of the three.

So...
1) for listening on the go: HD25-1
2) for home listening without an amp: HD280
3) for listening with an amp: AKG K271S (also pretty good without an amp)

That's just my $0.02...

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back