The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Nov 22, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #781 of 1,039
Yes, I think E12A was a bit better than X5-3, although something like FiiO Q5 is much much improved. I'd even say A5 is better added to X5-3, more neutral, more treble sparkle, much better treble extension.

E12A is smooth up top, similar to X5-3, so it may not be quite that much better...

Have you anywhere compared A5 sound with E12A? Based on your comment here, it seems that A5 has more treble extension and less smoothness compared to E12A. Does it also mean that the A5 can bring out more details

Nov 22, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #782 of 1,039
Yes, I think E12A was a bit better than X5-3, although something like FiiO Q5 is much much improved. I'd even say A5 is better added to X5-3, more neutral, more treble sparkle, much better treble extension.

E12A is smooth up top, similar to X5-3, so it may not be quite that much better...

Have you anywhere compared A5 sound with E12A? Based on your comment here, it seems that A5 has more treble extension and less smoothness compared to E12A. Does it also mean that the A5 can bring out more details

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #783 of 1,039

Yes, I felt like A5 was more neutral, E12A was really smooth and didn't bring the treble forward quite that much. It was nice if you wanted a leaner experience, but for most uses, I would go with A5. I think A5 is the portable AMP to go from FiiO, although I would also consider Q5, which is much better in every way (though also considerably more expensive) :)

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #785 of 1,039
Yes, I felt like A5 was more neutral, E12A was really smooth and didn't bring the treble forward quite that much. It was nice if you wanted a leaner experience, but for most uses, I would go with A5. I think A5 is the portable AMP to go from FiiO, although I would also consider Q5, which is much better in every way (though also considerably more expensive) :)

Thank you. Fiio X5iii already has warmth and the E12A in that scenario may just increase the warmth. A5 is perhaps more transparent

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #787 of 1,039
I am using a Fiio X5III+Fiio A5+ Sennheiser HD 598. I am currently experiencing a very peaky, sharp and piercing vocal via the A5. All other facets of sound seem to be fine, but the vocals are very thin and piercing. Does anyone have an insight over this. Didn't hope the A5 would just kill vocals like this

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #790 of 1,039
I am using a Fiio X5III+Fiio A5+ Sennheiser HD 598. I am currently experiencing a very peaky, sharp and piercing vocal via the A5. All other facets of sound seem to be fine, but the vocals are very thin and piercing. Does anyone have an insight over this. Didn't hope the A5 would just kill vocals like this

Try different headphones on the A5. Then try the headphones and source without the A5 in the chain. I think it's your headphones too.

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #791 of 1,039
I had a Schiit Magni 3 before A5. Via the Magni the 598 produced richer and deeper vocals even on high volumes.

Make sure you volume match when doing comparisons, and use a proper SPL meter and test tones to do the matching. Half the issue is that people don't properly volume match or try to to do it "by ear". End result - usually the output from the amp is slightly louder - and we perceive louder as more detailed, richer, better sound-stage etc, etc. Its how we are wired, we can't escape it.

Most people think they are comparing what they hear. To truly do that - you have to eliminate all bias as much as possible. First thing is making the playing field even (same tracks, same source, same volume). Second is removing other influences - blind test, someone else doing random switching. You'd be amazed how our preconceived impressions change when you that.

BTW - one way you can have deeper bass or richer mid-range is subtly introducing higher distortion levels. Its not really high fidelity, but there all sorts of tricks to this trade :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #792 of 1,039
Make sure you volume match when doing comparisons, and use a proper SPL meter and test tones to do the matching. Half the issue is that people don't properly volume match or try to to do it "by ear". End result - usually the output from the amp is slightly louder - and we perceive louder as more detailed, richer, better sound-stage etc, etc. Its how we are wired, we can't escape it.

Most people think they are comparing what they hear. To truly do that - you have to eliminate all bias as much as possible. First thing is making the playing field even (same tracks, same source, same volume). Second is removing other influences - blind test, someone else doing random switching. You'd be amazed how our preconceived impressions change when you that.

BTW - one way you can have deeper bass or richer mid-range is subtly introducing higher distortion levels. Its not really high fidelity, but there all sorts of tricks to this trade :wink:

Thank you.
I still want to make the vocals bigger and take away some of that peaky sparkle from vocals. Is there a way to do that through equalization. Can anyone suggest how to achieve that through equalization?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #793 of 1,039
Thank you.
I still want to make the vocals bigger and take away some of that peaky sparkle from vocals. Is there a way to do that through equalization. Can anyone suggest how to achieve that through equalization?

Which headphones are you using?

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #795 of 1,039
OK - that's really weird - for a few reasons.

1. The A5 is almost completely neutral - measures dead flat, practically wire with gain.
  2. The HD598 is not a bright headphone. it has a 10dB rise at 3-5 kHz and another one at 9-10 kHz. 3-5kHz is mostly too early for sibilance. 9-10 kHz is too late. So your description of the A5 or HD598 being a cause seems strange
  3. The HD598 can tend to be a bit grainy in the upper mids - because the bump is too pronounced - perhaps that is what you're hearing?
My advice - drop the upper mid-range by about 4-5dB (EDIT 3-5 kHz) and see if it makes a difference.

Also - check your music - perhaps it is also in the mastering? A hot track coupled with a headphone that overly boosts the upper mids can cause issues if you are sensitive to that frequency band. If that's the case - I'd sell the HD598 and look to get an HD6XX (Massdrop version of the HD650)

EDIT - corrected freq range

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back