The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Nov 25, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #662 of 1,039
But if you pump a better signal into the E12A or any other amp, you will get a better sound at the other end.[/QUOT
Even so.....if i could afford it right now i would go for Aune M1s and not for X5ii man...
Furthermore its all very relevant and subjective hypothesis as sound concerned..
Imean i came across opinions talking about bas synergy of E12A and DX80 ...
speaking about sources and pairing also i have Colorfly C200 with ESS9018K2M sabre dac chip there..and E12A could not make that dap sound even a little better...
Resolution wise also....E12A does not pair well with C3 which i also have and sounds fantastic and spacious with a 35$ mini bluebird U3.6 amp....strangely senough this combo is amazing there...
I am just thinking for anothet amp thats all...and to be honest its more for the different sound signature than anything else....so A5 is on my list along with ALO Rx and Head Amp Pico slim....it might take a while to decide if any of those worth the extra money in my case.....

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #663 of 1,039
I appreciate you might not want to spend a lot more for your next upgrade at the moment, but an A5 is £109 and a second-hand X5ii is about £165 on eBay. Well, that's what mine cost a few weeks ago.

Also, you will get more money for your X3ii (£115?) than your E12A (70?) on the second-hand market, offsetting the cost of the X5ii.

All of the above is just purely based on money and not synergy, of course.

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #664 of 1,039
I appreciate you might not want to spend a lot more for your next upgrade at the moment, but an A5 is £109 and a second-hand X5ii is about £165 on eBay. Well, that's what mine cost a few weeks ago.

Also, you will get more money for your X3ii (£115?) than your E12A (70?) on the second-hand market, offsetting the cost of the X5ii.

All of the above is just purely based on money and not synergy, of course.
Ain't gonna buy a second hand X5ii man...
No way....not gonna happen...
Let me just inform you that X5ii isnt exactly an upgrade on X3ii...
Many listeners could not tell a difference is blind sound tests....
But even if you consider those random evidence dap wise i would go for Aune M1s with close eyes.....or shozy alien. ..
I wan4 a different sound signature than fiio house sound....
Amp wise things are a bit different....
I do appreciate a lot E12A aoumd quality and i would even examine the chance to get another one just in case tge onw i have breaks down....
As for dap i so not think i need anothwr one right now.....maybe i ll just get F9pro risking a ahance to be similar to LZ A4 wich i got some months ago....

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #665 of 1,039
You said, "Let me just inform you that X5ii isn't exactly an upgrade on X3ii...".

Having owned both, I can't agree. I like the X3ii and am currently looking for one to use at the gym, because of it's size, but I think the X5ii is a step up.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #666 of 1,039
You took it the wrong way...
Didnt mean to be rude...either offensive here.... texting messages is risky ...and some times can lead to major misunderstanding ....my apologies for any inconvenience caused there...
Just expressing my opinion..

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #668 of 1,039
Apologies for the newbie question but can anyone tell me exactly what cables I need to connect this to my iPhone X. Been searching all morning and can’t seem to find a clear description. I think I need an Apple camera cable for sure. Anything else?Thanks very much.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #669 of 1,039
Apologies for the newbie question but can anyone tell me exactly what cables I need to connect this to my iPhone X. Been searching all morning and can’t seem to find a clear description. I think I need an Apple camera cable for sure. Anything else?Thanks very much.

The A5 is just an amp. You dont need the camera kit for it. It uses 3.5mm stereo male to line-in and outputs 3.5mm to headphones. You can just use your apple headphone adapter to the A5 and be good. it includes a small 3.5mm male-to-male cable already too.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #670 of 1,039
The A5 is just an amp. You dont need the camera kit for it. It uses 3.5mm stereo male to line-in and outputs 3.5mm to headphones. You can just use your apple headphone adapter to the A5 and be good. it includes a small 3.5mm male-to-male cable already too.
Thanks. For some reason my google skills could not figure that out

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #671 of 1,039
sorry, reall dumb question. What are the rubber mats that come with a5 for? I assume they are to be used with the rubber bands to seperate your dap/amp maybe?

I plan to use with my X7 and expect I'll use lock tite - just making sure i'm not missing a trick :)

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #672 of 1,039
sorry, reall dumb question. What are the rubber mats that come with a5 for? I assume they are to be used with the rubber bands to seperate your dap/amp maybe?

I plan to use with my X7 and expect I'll use lock tite - just making sure i'm not missing a trick :)

That's what I use them for, prevents the two devices from scratching each other, can't really think about another use.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #673 of 1,039
What are the chances that someone here has paired the A5 with the ZTE Axon 7? The reason I ask is I'm getting some strange behavior from my audio payback that is NOT present when I pair the A5 with my older Ipod Touch 5th Gen;

1) At the beginning of every single song, the first half a second of the audio is extremely distorted, then it goes on to play as normal (does not happen with ipod)
2) When switching songs, the relays cause audible popping noises in my headphones (does not happen with ipod)
3) Honestly, the music just sounds better on the Ipod...which I did not expect at all given its seemingly dated hardware

Anyone have any experience/ideas? Is it possible the output impedance of the Axon is causing these issues?

One additional random question, is it normal to receive the A5 with the battery completely dead? Just want to check, maybe I'm used to phones that come with some charge.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #674 of 1,039
Hi everybody
this is my first post in this great forum. :)
from about 15 years ago I was listening to music with amateur gadjets like ipod touch, iphone, creative zen n200 and ... . now I just wanted to upgrade my equipment and a couple days ago I bought an ath-m50x headphone and a fiio a5 amp. also my player is iphone 5.
surely A5 is great for headphone power and volume, but I think it would better to buy a dac/amp not just an amp. now my questions are that how are the quality of my equipment for litening to lossles formats? and if I bought a for example and AK-Jr player, wil I get better sound? and after buying it, do I need the A5 anymore?

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #675 of 1,039
Hi everybody
this is my first post in this great forum. :)
from about 15 years ago I was listening to music with amateur gadjets like ipod touch, iphone, creative zen n200 and ... . now I just wanted to upgrade my equipment and a couple days ago I bought an ath-m50x headphone and a fiio a5 amp. also my player is iphone 5.
surely A5 is great for headphone power and volume, but I think it would better to buy a dac/amp not just an amp. now my questions are that how are the quality of my equipment for litening to lossles formats? and if I bought a for example and AK-Jr player, wil I get better sound? and after buying it, do I need the A5 anymore?

If you update the player you definitely will see an upgrade, if only from just using LO instead of PO. YOu might or might not hear the difference depending on your headphones however I definitely use the A5 for anything about 100 ohms on my X7ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back