The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Dec 26, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #346 of 1,039
Ouch, that would suck. Graham Slee gear doesn't get much love on head-fi (it is pricey) but I owned a Novo for a time and I couldn't believe just how good it sounded. Sorry for going OT. I'm also a big FiiO fan and waiting for the Q5 as I insist on Bluetooth connectivity so worth the wait, otherwise I would have grabbed the A5.

I love my Graham Slee gear, it may cost a lot but is much better than many fancy 'hifi' brands at many times the price. I mitigate the price issue somewhat by purchasing used gear.

I wouldn't class Fiio and Graham Slee as rivals in audio, different products for different prices.

Back on topic, having spent a week or so living with the A5 for use on my commute, I am fully sold on it.

As previously mentioned, my Fiio X5 (mk1) is fed into the A5 and I use a pair of AKG K550. The amp just takes the headphones to a new level, resolving micro details much better, I really noticed this on the track 'same mistakes' by The Cooper Temple Clause, which has many subtle sound in the mix which can be easily missed.
I really do feel like this amp has given both my X5 and K550 a major upgrade.

I would never use then on the go due to their open back nature but I will give my K702 a spin next as they really do sound great amped

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #347 of 1,039
Should I be using the bass boost on this? With the bass boost off my HD650's sound kind of flat. I mean you can hear bass but you don't -feel- it. Bass boost fixes that problem but I don't know if it's really degrading the quality of the sound or not.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #349 of 1,039
How does this thing stack up to the ifi iDSD Micro/Micro Black Label's amp section?

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #350 of 1,039
Out of curiosity.. anyone know if this model is better shielded than the E12?  I love my E12, right until it is near any cellular device; at that point, i swear i can hear the bits flying out, i pick up so much noise. I like my current player (ironically, an LG v20, which of course being a cell phone, is a total no go with the E12.....), and would happily drop the $130 on this.. if i knew it was actually shielded...

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #352 of 1,039
  Strange. I used the E12 literally strapped over my iPhone for a while, and no noise was getting in there.
Maybe different cellular bands.

Could be.  All i know is, any proximity to my V20 renders my e12 useless with so much noise. T-Mobile. 4G.. I know its not my interconnect, because the amp powered on with only the cans attached still picks up the interference.

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #353 of 1,039
  Could be.  All i know is, any proximity to my V20 renders my e12 useless with so much noise. T-Mobile. 4G.. I know its not my interconnect, because the amp powered on with only the cans attached still picks up the interference.

If you're comparing strictly the E12, it might have been more sensitive to interference. X5 was more sensitive than X5ii is. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #355 of 1,039

How is the V20? I suspect it sounds pretty darn good on it's own. Heck, even my G4 sounds pretty good (albeit not loud enough for my taste).

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #357 of 1,039
  It is an excellent sounding DAP; frankly one that doesn't get enough credit.  And while the output is good on its own, a strong amp really lets big cans like my LCD-2 sing.

Yes, I think phones are serious competitors to dedicated DAPs. If FiiO is following this thread, I suggest they be forward looking and figure out how they can become the audio section designer for audiophile phones. I really believe in the near future that phones will start to become capable of driving a much wider variety of loads and they will need the expertise of companies like FiiO perhaps. That is my hope that rather than be pushed out by phones, companies like FiiO can find a way to partner and embrace the market forces and adapt new revenue streams.

I know there will always be dedicated DAPs for people like us, but imagine how cool it would be to see a phone advertise audio by FiiO rather than featuring beats audio or something like that. I'm babbling mostly, but still, I think it would be interesting at least, and who knows, maybe it will happen? If so I'll get to say I called it first!

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #358 of 1,039
FiiO A5-Amplifier that strives for perfection is available in Black: http://www.head-fi.org/t/831379/fiio-a5-amplifier-that-strives-for-perfection-is-available-in-black

Dear Respected Customers,

The A5 Titanium was released to the market by October, 2016, which turns to be well accepted by the market and end users. Now we are glad to tell you that we bring one more Black option for you. 

To check out for more pictures of A5 Black (>> Click Hereand check out for the introduction of A5 (>> Click Here)

The delivery of A5 Black to our worldwide agents starts today. If you are interested in getting an A5 Black, please kindly check with local agents (>>Where to Buy) for its availability soon.

Best regards,
FiiO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

content_A5_842.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 6, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #359 of 1,039
  Yes, I think phones are serious competitors to dedicated DAPs. If FiiO is following this thread, I suggest they be forward looking and figure out how they can become the audio section designer for audiophile phones. I really believe in the near future that phones will start to become capable of driving a much wider variety of loads and they will need the expertise of companies like FiiO perhaps. That is my hope that rather than be pushed out by phones, companies like FiiO can find a way to partner and embrace the market forces and adapt new revenue streams.

I know there will always be dedicated DAPs for people like us, but imagine how cool it would be to see a phone advertise audio by FiiO rather than featuring beats audio or something like that. I'm babbling mostly, but still, I think it would be interesting at least, and who knows, maybe it will happen? If so I'll get to say I called it first!

I can say that LG and a few others understand that and agree.  Having a phone with a dedicated ESS Saber means that at most i need an amp (and even then, required only to eek out the best performance), and i have the best of both worlds. I need a phone, and will always have one; if i can have one that also does excellent music for the same price.. hell yeah!

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #360 of 1,039
  I can say that LG and a few others understand that and agree.  Having a phone with a dedicated ESS Saber means that at most i need an amp (and even then, required only to eek out the best performance), and i have the best of both worlds. I need a phone, and will always have one; if i can have one that also does excellent music for the same price.. hell yeah!

For sure we will be at the one device point very soon, if we aren't already there now really. With most headphones designed for mobile use, a phone like the V20 for instance would be quite adequate. I expect (and hope) that DAPs are still always a viable if niche product to satisfy those who demand that last amount of sound quality possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back