1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by holypal, Sep 10, 2016.
First

Back
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
59 60
Next

Last
  1. Shane D
    Cool on the affordable cables. I have a lot of respect for Fiio and their products. My DAP search came down to the Fiio X7 II and the Sony ZX300. I chose the Sony because of familiarity, but really liked the X7.

Shane D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Slater likes this.
  2. Shane D
    Trying out my new amp and pretty happy. Only a half hour in so far. First trial is Grado GH2's, Sony DAP on low gain and A5 on high gain with bass boost on. Black Stone Cherry is sounding fine! And fun.

Shane D

Slater likes this.
  3. Shane D
    Wow, that battery goes fast. used for about five hours yesterday and less than one hour today and dead. It was high gain and bass boost on, but still...

Shane D

4. Slater
    Yeah, it definitely has less battery life than the E12A for example. But A5 is also more powerful, so it’s a trade off.

If I had a choice, I would have preferred a slightly larger case in exchange for more battery life.

5. Shane D
    Ditto that! I actually expected it to be bigger. I thought it would be comparable to my LG V30, but it's only the size of my Sony DAP.

Shane D

6. Slater
    BTW, you should be getting more than 6 hours from the A5. Was is used or something? What volume do you use?

What kind of cans are you driving? If it’s something with really low sensitivity, I can see it sucking the battery.

As far as the size, of they had made it the same size as the X5, there would have been plenty of room for a heck of a beefy battery with loads of runtime. If only I had a 3D printer...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  7. Shane D
    I was running my Grado GH2's which are Very easy to drive. Low gain from DAP into high gain from A5 with bass boost locked on. Volume at 1:00.

My DAP (Sony ZX300) seemed to go forever the first few months. Then I bought balanced cables and started using balanced output. Sound quality went through the roof and longevity went through the basement.

Always a price to pay.

Shane D

Slater likes this.
  8. Shane D
    Just to follow up, only five hours again today.
    Sony DAP SE low gain out - A5 high gain out half volume with bass boost on - Grado GH2's (very easy to drive headphones).

Seems very short?

Shane D

9. stuck limo
    A5 high gain volume at half or at 2 o'clock running Senn 600 gets me 12 to 13 hours. Maybe your battery is old or defective.

10. CapnCook
    Also using bass boost?

11. stuck limo
    No, which may or may not be why.

12. Shane D
    Okay, so tomorrow no bass boost and see what happens. Athough the only reason I was bought it was bass boost. Otherwise I would have gotten a Liquid Spark or a JDS Atom.

Shane D

13. CapnCook
    Based on your alternatives (Liquid Spark/Atom), it seems your use case does not require a battery?

14. Shane D
    Nope. It is for my home listening station. Also known as the lazy boy.

Shane D

PS: I just realized: I can just keep it plugged in, as I would a desk top.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  15. CapnCook
    Oh.....I use mine similarly at the desk. Get a 5v2a plug, and you're good to go.

Still will be curious how much bass boost was affecting the battery life.

First

Back
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
59 60
Next

Last