The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #856 of 1,039
I'm sure you'll like it.

On High gain (no bass boost), it adds a tube amp-like sound (to my ears anyways). Some others have mentioned this as well. I think at least 1 person measured a bit of distortion on high gain, which is what causes this effect. YMMV.

I am curious about what this might do with the HE4XX's.

Bass boost is pretty significant IMO, and is over pretty much the entire bass range. I rarely use bass boost.

I am anxious to try this on the Grado's.

You're probably gonna hate the volume wheel. It's quite slippery.

The volume knob seems fine to me.

Also, if you need a cable, the genuine FiiO cables are a ridiculous bargain. Very high quality (Oyaide plugs w/Furukawa OFC SPC cable).

Cool on the affordable cables. I have a lot of respect for Fiio and their products. My DAP search came down to the Fiio X7 II and the Sony ZX300. I chose the Sony because of familiarity, but really liked the X7.

Shane D

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #857 of 1,039
Trying out my new amp and pretty happy. Only a half hour in so far. First trial is Grado GH2's, Sony DAP on low gain and A5 on high gain with bass boost on. Black Stone Cherry is sounding fine! And fun.

Shane D

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #858 of 1,039
Wow, that battery goes fast. used for about five hours yesterday and less than one hour today and dead. It was high gain and bass boost on, but still...

Shane D

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #859 of 1,039
Wow, that battery goes fast. used for about five hours yesterday and less than one hour today and dead. It was high gain and bass boost on, but still...

Shane D

Yeah, it definitely has less battery life than the E12A for example. But A5 is also more powerful, so it’s a trade off.

If I had a choice, I would have preferred a slightly larger case in exchange for more battery life.

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #860 of 1,039
Yeah, it definitely has less battery life than the E12A for example. But A5 is also more powerful, so it’s a trade off.

If I had a choice, I would have preferred a slightly larger case in exchange for more battery life.

Ditto that! I actually expected it to be bigger. I thought it would be comparable to my LG V30, but it's only the size of my Sony DAP.

Shane D

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #861 of 1,039
Ditto that! I actually expected it to be bigger. I thought it would be comparable to my LG V30, but it's only the size of my Sony DAP.

Shane D

BTW, you should be getting more than 6 hours from the A5. Was is used or something? What volume do you use?

What kind of cans are you driving? If it’s something with really low sensitivity, I can see it sucking the battery.

As far as the size, of they had made it the same size as the X5, there would have been plenty of room for a heck of a beefy battery with loads of runtime. If only I had a 3D printer...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #862 of 1,039
BTW, you should be getting more than 6 hours from the A5. Was is used or something? What volume do you use?

What kind of cans are you driving? If it’s something with really low sensitivity, I can see it sucking the battery.

I was running my Grado GH2's which are Very easy to drive. Low gain from DAP into high gain from A5 with bass boost locked on. Volume at 1:00.

My DAP (Sony ZX300) seemed to go forever the first few months. Then I bought balanced cables and started using balanced output. Sound quality went through the roof and longevity went through the basement.

Always a price to pay.

Shane D

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #863 of 1,039
Just to follow up, only five hours again today.
Sony DAP SE low gain out - A5 high gain out half volume with bass boost on - Grado GH2's (very easy to drive headphones).

Seems very short?

Shane D

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #867 of 1,039
Okay, so tomorrow no bass boost and see what happens. Athough the only reason I was bought it was bass boost. Otherwise I would have gotten a Liquid Spark or a JDS Atom.

Shane D

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #869 of 1,039
Based on your alternatives (Liquid Spark/Atom), it seems your use case does not require a battery?

Nope. It is for my home listening station. Also known as the lazy boy.

Shane D

PS: I just realized: I can just keep it plugged in, as I would a desk top.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back