The Fastest Internet In the World? It's In Berkeley
Apr 21, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 23
It's not the speed of the internet that matters, but how you use it.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 23
What the "F" is a Berkeley?

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 23
Everything you download whizzes right past you...
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 23
But I am perfectly happy with my internet speed now. How much do you need to download anyway? I suppose when higher quality video/3d-stuff/live-shows/whatever-crap-that-will-come-up-that-needs-more-bandwidth, the general broadband speed would have gotten much faster than today and I will still be happy about it.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is just as misleading as 'World Series' considering it's only giving top US speeds. Parts of Europe, China, Japan and likely elsewhere in the world enjoy speeds in excess of 100Mbps.

Why would you say it's just the US when the article itself is titled "Fastest Internet in the World"?

With the average speed at 18.7Mbps, Berkeley is top on Akamai's list of worldwide data speeds. Second place is Chapel Hill, NC followed by Stanford, CA before moving onto the usual suspects in Japan and Korea.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you say it's just the US when the article itself is titled "Fastest Internet in the World"?

With the average speed at 18.7Mbps, Berkeley is top on Akamai's list of worldwide data speeds. Second place is Chapel Hill, NC followed by Stanford, CA before moving onto the usual suspects in Japan and Korea.

...Well that's exactly what I said, or at least exactly what I thought I said.
regular_smile .gif
- The World Series is only in the US even though it has world in the title, I was relating the two. In a nutshell I'm saying current internet speeds are pretty slow in the US compared to the rest of the world. The Gizmodo article should be titled Fastest Internet in the USA.

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Well that's exactly what I said, or at least exactly what I thought I said.
regular_smile .gif
- The World Series is only in the US even though it has world in the title, I was relating the two. In a nutshell I'm saying current internet speeds are pretty slow in the US compared to the rest of the world. The Gizmodo article should be titled Fastest Internet in the USA.

I still don't understand what you're saying to be honest. It clearly says Fastest in the World and gives credit to Japan and Korea. It also says that the fastest average speed in the world is found in Berkeley. I don't think there is any place in the world that averages at 100Mbps.

Maybe I'm confused but why should the article be titled Fastest Internet in the USA when it is based on worldwide data speeds? Am I missing something?

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 23
I suppose I'm saying I don't believe it, or the title and actual statistic is so perverse it doesn't make sense. If the school has a T1 line lets say and 100-1,000s of people can use it simultaneously and each attain pretty decent average speeds I don't see how this compares to millions of people spread throughout Japan all averaging much greater speeds.

speeds.png

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 23
Yeah, I am suspect at the result as well.
But in either case, an average speed of 18.7Mbps is pretty impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back