The fan on my graphics card is going out. Should I worry about the graphics processor overheating?
Dec 7, 2009 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pinkfloyd4ever

500+ Head-Fier
Ok so I have an old-ass computer. Dell XPS Gen 3 from December 2004. Several months ago I started hearing a alot of noise from a fan, and eventually figured out that is was the fan on my graphics card (which is an ATI Radeon X800 XT). Then it (the fan) seemed to start working fine again for a few months, but in the last couple days it struggles to start turning when I turn on the comp, noisily pants along for a minute or two, then quits altogether.

Should I be worried about the graphics processor overheating? I definitely don't have money for a new graphics card right now, let alone a whole new computer. I don't do any gaming, 3D rendering, or anything else that would be considered graphics-intensive. My monitor is an Acer X193w (a 19" widescreen LCD)

*please excuse the double-posted thread. I realized how much more traffic the Members Lounge gets after I posted in the Gear-Fi non-audio section

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 22
I would recommend replacing the fan if possible. If your case has good air circulation you will probably be OK, but why risk it. You can get a VGA cooling fan <10 bucks on newegg.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 22
If it comes with a fan and it's failing, I would worry about the GPU. It's there for a reason and unless you live somewhere extra cold, I could see it going bad altogether.
If you don't do anything graphics intensive, there are a whole bunch of GPUs out there that you can pick up for cheap. You can probably find something for $20 on newegg or tigerdirect. Don't know if the Dells from that time allowed you to swap parts or if they were proprietary.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 22
Yeah lolz. Just take off the cooler, unscrew the fan [remove connector] and cable tie some 80mm fan on there for good measure. OR go buy a new gpu.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 22
You could use a program like Real Temp to keep an eye on it and even set an alarm if it over heats. I'd say as long as you stay below 100c or so it should be fine.

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X800XT get pretty hot you can't run it passive unless you have a large heatpipe cooler. If you just remove the fan from stock little cooler it'll overheat in no time and die.

Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom...your avatar always cracks me up. OP...Iriverdude speaks true. You need a cooler on that puppy or plan on buying a new card.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 22
Yeah, I think you should be worried.
Replacing the fan seems like a cheap investment instead of burning the cpu and hence destroy the card.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 22
I think I tried to take the fan off a few months ago when I figured out which fan it was. I couldn't figure out a way to remove the fan itself from the heatsink housing, and I'm usually pretty good at those kinds of things (I'm a DIYer and a Mechanical Engineering major). It seemed like it wasn't replaceable. I'll check again though when I'm home tonight, like I said this was a few months ago. Maybe I'll get one of those dedicated PCI slot fans.

I don't wanna spray WD40 in the motor & risk it leaking out once I remount it to the board and shorting something out.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 22
It should have an automatic shut-off in the event that it overheats (most modern processors have temp sensors built in). Replace the fan with anything that looks equivalent and is cheap.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 22
MomijiTMO is correct they don't shut down, your PC will crash and eventually if the memory and GPU are damaged due to overheating you'll get constant BSOD.

What's the big deal? If you case is big enough get a Accelero, or just whack a 12cm where the original fan was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back