The famous RadioShack Optimus CD-3400 portable CD player Review
Jan 2, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 10
I had read several of the reviews linked there previously -- though I missed Corey Greenberg's take. Ironic that his review is the one I agree(d) most with. In case you missed it, at the bottom of each page is a link to the next page, or another Stereophile reviewer's opinion on the 3400. There are about 7 or 8 different articles about the 3400, and Greenberg's is the 3rd or 4th.

Jan 3, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi,

I am looking for a portable CDP, new or used/old. I went over the reviews above and it seems this CD player had very good sound quality, which is what I concern the most about. If I understand correctly, the model is quite old and may not be in sale anymore, right? Do you know if other old similar models or newer modles from Optimus that I can find from Ebay, RadioShack, etc. will deliver the same sound quality? If not, can anyone suggest an alternative, prefered with optical out. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2002 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 10
The most interesting bit of info I gleaned from that article was that the player was that the player was actually (supposedly) built on a particular Mitsumi CD-ROM drive which used some sort of soft plastic center hub to hold the disc.

This thing is based on an old (~1994) CD-ROM drive? As in something one of us might have sitting in an old 486 computer? (or at least something simmilar?) I've seen an article online on using a computer CD-ROM drive as a car CD player, so I know it's possible to use them outside computers. Perhaps our DIY community should start digging around computer shops that sell old parts? Might prove interesting!
smily_headphones1.gif

... ... ...

The other interesting thing I found in the article: "Information Hershey Highway"
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2002 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 10
Toe,

I've tried a ton of these through the years and most CD-ROMs SUCK - at least through the headphone jack (NECs from the early '90s were the exception, but the phones used weren't the greatest either). Most wouldn't hold up in a car after a time because the plastic parts aren't intended for the environment of a car (120F+ in the summer in the south and below 0F in the winter in the north)(I am sure there are exceptions, but I am refering to the typical $30 pc unit). I would also be curious about skip the quality of any skip protection.

What I haven't tried and would like to is using the line outs into a pocket-size amp built into a 3.5" or 5.25" bay slot. That might be a worth-while project.

Another thought is plugging the digital outs into an outboard DAC.

Jan 6, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 10
I actually had two of these Radio Shack babies. The hot set up was not as your CD source but as the transport to a decent D/A converter. Me and a few friends set these up with big rechargeable gel batteries and they were great. By running from battery power rather than a wall wart we were able to avoid a bunch of noise/hash.

The one problem is that they did break easily. They just weren't robust enough for everyday use.

May 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 10
LOL.  I remember this whole Radio Shack / Stereophile thing.  Nice to see it again.

I also seem to remember a high end company building a fancy power supply for the portable Optimus player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back