The fall NYC meet
Aug 30, 2004 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

bifcake

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it too early to start talking about the NYC meet? Whoever's organizing it, whenever it is, I'm in.
icon10.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 35
Seems like the last one just ended...
confused.gif

But OK, if you guys are already starting to talk abou it, I don't want to miss out.

Should we start a gear list?
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 35
The question is do we want to do Grado labs again or move onto something bigger?

Sep 2, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 35
I think the last meet at Grado worked out fine. It's true that the number of people that can attend is limited, but then again, trying to organize a meet with more than about 30 people might be quite difficult. The size of the room makes things manageable. Fewer people, in an intimate venue, also keeps things from getting out of hand so that all that expensive gear isn't mishandled. Not to cast any aspersions on any of the fine NY-Metro Head-Fiers, mind you.

There had been some suggestions about other places to hold the meet in the past but they usually required some kind of fee. I'm happy to pay $10 or $15 for the pleasure of trying out all that great gear and mixing with nice folks but other members might not be so willing.

Did you have anything specific in mind, lan?

Sep 2, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 35
It would be nice to move to a bigger venue, but once you start charging fees, I think that will cut down on the number of people willing to go to the point where you may as well fit them at Grado's.

Is there like a YMCA or Knights of columbus or something where the venue might be bigger and there would be no or nominal fees (under $5 /person)? How about a church basement or something to that effect? It would be nice to enable everyone who wants to go to attend the meet. We're probably the biggest regional market in all of head-fi, so it would be great to accommodate as many members as possible.

Sep 2, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 35
Knights of Colombus halls and the like always charge a fee for their use, usually somewhere around $3-400. I know this from trying to organize various family get-togethers. Now if we have 50 people that want to attend and the hall costs $300 then it's $6 per person. I think that charging any amount of money will reduce attendance to where you're going to be in the 25 to 30 person range, but that's a complete guess. I'll start a poll and see what kind of response we get.

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Knights of Colombus halls and the like always charge a fee for their use, usually somewhere around $3-400. I know this from trying to organize various family get-togethers. Now if we have 50 people that want to attend and the hall costs $300 then it's $6 per person. I think that charging any amount of money will reduce attendance to where you're going to be in the 25 to 30 person range, but that's a complete guess. I'll start a poll and see what kind of response we get.

I agree with you and if the membership is down to 25 to 30 persons, then we may as well hold it at Grado's since that's about the limit Grado can hold.

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 35
I spoke to John Grado today and Grado labs will be unavailable for a fall meet.
A spring meet is possible,I will check back with him at that time.
So who wants to setup a alternative venue,I have been directly involved with all 4 Grado meets and would like to see another NY member step up to the plate setting up a fall meet.
My free time has become very limited due to recent changes in my bussiness.
I will gladly give anyone advice if they need it or want it. It would be great to get some new blood in the next NY meet. I know a lot of guys can set this up & do a good job. So who's it going to be?

Sep 14, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 35
I have very limited free time myself, but I do think that organizing a meet would be great experience. I'm not volunteering just yet but I will definitely consider it. Of course if there's someone itching to organize this that's fine with me. bozebuttons, your advice will definitely be needed and wanted.

Judging from the other thread regarding paying for a venue, I think we need to try very hard to keep this free or at least keep it to a nominal charge per person. As a first step I can try and find out if my school, St. John's University, (Jamaica, Queens) is willing to donate space. Since it's not a school organization I don't know if they're going to be willing. This is of course, provided people would be interested in attending there. It's not really convenient to the subway so that's a bit of an issue. Please let me know if I should pursue this.

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 35
I think SJU would be a great venue. I used to work there and there are a lot of people who hate me til this day. It would be great to see them again.
icon10.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

I have very limited free time myself, but I do think that organizing a meet would be great experience. I'm not volunteering just yet but I will definitely consider it. Of course if there's someone itching to organize this that's fine with me. bozebuttons, your advice will definitely be needed and wanted.

Judging from the other thread regarding paying for a venue, I think we need to try very hard to keep this free or at least keep it to a nominal charge per person. As a first step I can try and find out if my school, St. John's University, (Jamaica, Queens) is willing to donate space. Since it's not a school organization I don't know if they're going to be willing. This is of course, provided people would be interested in attending there. It's not really convenient to the subway so that's a bit of an issue. Please let me know if I should pursue this.

You should totally pursue this. We can use the St. John's basketball court and lay out tons of those foldable tables. You could probably even talk to your AV club at school and have them sponsor it for you, then we head-fiers would come as "outside consultants" and bring our gear. The AV club kids could come for free, and usually student clubs get to rent out space for free. The only hitch is getting us past school security - it's different for each school but I'm sure you can find out about it.

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 35
I'll pursue it but I'm not sure they're going to let us use Alumni Hall.

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 35
Another thought:

How do people feel about opening this up to the SJU community? I don't think the school will allow us to hold a meet there if there is no benefit to the students.

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Another thought:

How do people feel about opening this up to the SJU community? I don't think the school will allow us to hold a meet there if there is no benefit to the students.

I'm 100% down with hooking the kids early into lavish spending habits. In fact, bring your stuff for sale, those kids will blow their parent's hard earned cash in a second! We can even set up a little roundtable discussion with some of of the head-fiers and builders, etc on the panel to field questions from the students and share a lil bit of the direction Headphones are going in the consumer market. Yeah, Alumni hall might be pushing it, but if we get a conference room going and the AV club puts flyers up saying "Have an ipod, still using the buds? PEASANT! Come check out some serious gear at the AV Club's Head-fi meet!" Again, getting a club involved = no fees to pay from us. The only thing we have to watch is that the college students dont bring a Slurpee and a mustarded pretzel in there and slather it over the gear. And have them all take showers beforehand, sometimes hygiene is not big with the kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back