The Extreme Mothership Has Landed!!! (56K Care)
Jul 11, 2007 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Akathriel

500+ Head-Fier
A big box arrived for me today.

P1010687.jpg

Express my ass, it took five days...

P1010688.jpg

This Amp is Extreme #003, it was the first unit ordered on the phone, back in December.

P1010704.jpg

It is a true balls to the wall amp. If I had to come up with a Singlepowerey title it would be something like Extreme Slam Platinum XLR SE

-Fully Balanced
-Blackgates power supply Caps
-Blackgates Amplifier Caps
-Quad Gang 24 Point Stepped Attenuator
-VCap OFC Copper Quad Regulators

The Power Supply is very special and has 3 stages as I understand it.
Stage 1-Dual 14 Amp Transformers in An Outboard Box
Stage 2-The Large Plitron Toroid you see on top
Stage 3-There is a smaller Plitron transformer sitting directly below the other one.

This amp unfortunately requires two power cords
biggrin.gif

In back I had WBT look-alike insulated binding posts installed, because I am building a pair of 4" single driver floorstanders.
P1010709.jpg

The Qualia 010s are my headphones of choice, for my tastes and music preferences (mostly post metal), I don't feel any other headphone can touch them, although the Big O/ES-1 combo is pretty damn close. Two Words:Z-Axis .Nuff Said.
after 6 or so months of ownership, I thought about reviewing them but decided it was worthless because they are virtually unattainable and I believe the most rare of the 1.5K+ headphones discussed on this board.

I call this one Blue Heaven:Blue Qualias, Blue Dragon,Blue LED, and ISIS' Blue Album (Panopticon)
very_evil_smiley.gif

P1010703.jpg

Right now Im using Bendix 6080s and some new 6SN7GTs because I couldn't afford anymore tubes. I have 8 dollars and 07 cents in my account!

OK I'm done gloating. All this stuff will be at the DC meet this weekend (even though I won't; thanks Hirsch) so if you're there you can hear it!

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 56
I don't know, those two power cords could break the bank if you ask me, after all you don't want off the shelf for those. No sir you don't, although I saw some nice ones on sale at Walmart the other day for 99 cents, just a heads up.

Have fun.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 56
The V-caps are great, did you think about the Audio Note silver? The AN are the best in the world though i would be happy with the V-caps. Dead soft silver wiring?

Good move with the address, I was going to come by and visit, you know, to listen. :^)

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 56
I'm in high school, money unfortunately doesnt flower out of my ass...
wink.gif
Both of those are prohibitively expensive, silver wiring is labor intensive because unless otherwise requested, most singlepowers are now on PCBs instead of P2P. I couldn't justify the AN Regs they're like 750$...

Hehe, yeah I realized that
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 56
Nice amp!

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I remember when i was in high school, i spent all my money at the arcade and buying beer & cigarettes.

kids these days....
rolleyes.gif

kudos for saving your money something less toxic, but just as ball busting.

bloody hell, I have a mental image of you sleeping on the floor next to this thing, because you sold everything for it.....lol

3000smile.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif
Both of those are prohibitively expensive, silver wiring is labor intensive because unless otherwise requested, most singlepowers are now on PCBs instead of P2P. I couldn't justify the AN Regs they're like 750$...

Hehe, yeah I realized that
wink.gif

Must be a better high school than I had. Your ass is doing pretty good as even that amp without the AN caps or silver wiring would be more than the normal boombox or cheap record player I had. I figured if you were going to go full bore with the amp what would a couple of little AN caps hurt? Have fun.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must be a better high school than I had. Your ass is doing pretty good as even that amp without the AN caps or silver wiring would be more than the normal boombox or cheap record player I had. I figured if you were going to go full bore with the amp what would a couple of little AN caps hurt? Have fun.

Eh I worked two jobs every week for 12 months to pay for this thing.

And babysat on the side
eek.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 56
Yeah, I washed dishes when i was in 7th and 8th grade and waited tables when I was in high school. I know it can be a long haul but gratifying when you finally get there. I wanted a revolver and got one, not when they were the negative thing of today but just because I enjoyed target practice and guns because of their mechanical being.

So how did you get into HIGH END audio so young? Good for you.

Hey! Your profile says your 88! Lucky numbers but either you mean 8 + 8 or somebody is having fun with my mind, which isn't hard. Ok, so if you are in high school, who is president? If you get it wrong I will know you must be in HS for sure. :
smily_headphones1.gif

Geez only 8 bucks left, that was close. If I was back home where all my tubes are I would send you a couple of nice 6SN7's to listen to but alas I am over a thousand miles away and no trail leading there for a while. And while my thought might be nice action is better. As the Dalai Lama has said, "prayer is good but action is better".

Jul 11, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 56
That must be one of the most beautiful setups I've ever seen. Curse you Akathriel! Maybe after I've sold my wife... and who needs two kidneys anyway?
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back