The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
Jun 25, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #286 of 660
Just for 'Metropolis-Part I' I prefer 'Images And Words' for 'Awake' does sound good but although harder sounding a bit inconsistent and for me the vocals on 'Images And Words' are just better. 

Listening to 'Erotomania, Voices' and 'The Silent Man' is great though.

Afternoon update: Judas Priest's 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' arrived, the Teichiku Records version. 

Night update: Devin Townsend's 'Terria' is in. I could not find 'Biomech: Ocean Machine' nor the Slayer album I was looking for. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #287 of 660
Just listening to the album 'Terria', as much as I would like to comment on it I can only call it intense...

Regarding 'Sad Wings Of Destiny', I like it and I can hear how it influenced the music that came after it. The album both reminds me of albums I have from that period yet has a very distinctive sound to it. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #288 of 660
The next step for Priest would be these albums.
-Stained Class 1978
-Defenders Of The Faith 1984

As for Sad Wings Of Destiny as much I as I like the album 2 of its songs Victim Of Changes and The Ripper I simply like the live versions so much better.And no I don't think every live version of songs are better like some people do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5uYf-Ghh5s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89lxgM7_vvQ

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #289 of 660
The versions of Victim and Ripper on Unleashed in the East are indeed better, IMO.

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #290 of 660

Quote:
The versions of Victim and Ripper on Unleashed in the East are indeed better, IMO.

I'm not talking about those versions. And those really aren't that great and EXTREMELY overrated.

1982 Live DVD is better in Memphis better even with the cold Halford had.
2005 Live DVD in Japan better.
2009 Live DVD in Hollywood,FL better.

All those versions are far better.2009 Victims Of Changes probably the best version ever incredibly powerful INSANE scream.Also have the extended KK Downing solo now.

Even the versions with Tim Owens singing are better such as Live In London 2001 DVD.

Jun 27, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #291 of 660

Quote:
(snip)

Even the versions with Tim Owens singing are better such as Live In London 2001 DVD.

Uhhhh...sorry.  Can't agree with that at ALL.  I like Ripper OK in Iced Earth...but he's no Halford.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #292 of 660
On a side note, Devin Townsend's "Terria" has become an all time favourite. For some reason it has just the right balance between heaviness and lightness and I love the transitions and melodies. 

Judas Priest, I will skip Judas Priest for Uriah Heep now. 

Night update: I am now digging Rush, in particular "YYZ" at the moment but for some reason it took a musical listening journey. Even the vocals sound good now, "Limelight" is playing. Maybe the Django Reinhardt music helped...

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #295 of 660
Tonight I will listen to "2112" again, if it proves to be more than background music Rush is possibly genius. 

Update: "2112" was more than background music. The album sounded quite fun although it is not like Yes' "Soundchaser". After the last track ended I just had to play Dire Straits's "Money For Nothing".

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #296 of 660
My favourite Devin Townsend and Ayreon albums.....

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #297 of 660
Nice, I am now eying some Focus, UFO and Uriah Heep. I am also torn where to go from there, early works or more modern Progressive Rock? Devin Townsend's "Terria" give me the chills like Apocalypse Now Total Redux while Dream Theater just sounds timeless, "Metropolis PT. 2: Scenes From A Memory" anyone?

Oh well, the search continues... Back to Dream Theater again.

P.S. Judas Priest's "Sad Wings Of Destiny" sounds better with intimate (dark) headphones. My RP-HTX7 sound gave the record an edge my more neutral headphones lack. This pleasantly surprised me...

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #298 of 660
For UFO I would go with Obsession 1978 for starting. Everyone who likes UFO likes that album it doesn't mean its the best although it could argued that it is.

As for Uriah Heep Salisbury 1971,Look At Yourself 1971, and The Magician's Birthday 1972 are all great starting points.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #299 of 660
Mibutenma, what UFO album according to you really defines UFO? I was aiming for the "Strangers In The Night" live album. Just give a name and I will buy and listen. 

Uriah Heep is on hold, the store did not have "Look At Yourself" or "Classic Heep: An Anthology" or "Future Echoes Of The Past".

Just in:
Megadeth's "Rust In Peace" and "Peace Sells But Who's Buying?"
Slayer's "Decade Of Aggression", the live album. It was finally in.
Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" of which I hope is good. I got the normal 1992 digital remaster. 

So much music on sale, arghhh... Oh well, Run DMC's "Rock Box" still rocks my world. Rush...

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #300 of 660

Quote:
Mibutenma, what UFO album according to you really defines UFO? I was aiming for the "Strangers In The Night" live album. Just give a name and I will buy and listen. 

Just in:
Megadeth's "Rust In Peace" and "Peace Sells But Who's Buying?"

I would still say UFO -Obsession.

Cool on the Megadeth the originals? Or the remastered and remixed and some parts remade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back