The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
Feb 6, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #601 of 660
Quote:
Quote:
I think one could easily argue that Bill Bruford is the best Prog drummer of all time.

I have three Spock's Beard records that just arrived. I will listen to them over the weekend I hope.

That's a big statement, I'm a prog. drummer myself, I know and love a lot of them. Nick D'Virgilio (Spock's Beard) is one of my favorites, another one is Neil Peart (Rush), then you have Mike Portnoy offcourse, and since he does Porcupine Tree, Gavin Harrison who has done 'progressive' drumming within the progressive genre.

I think Neil Peart is one of the best drummers of all time, regardless of which type of music, but there are so many. For what I've heard the KC guy, Bill Bruford, is great, but as great as Peart, I'd doubt it.

Things are subjective as hell offcourse.

Ever listened to ELP's "Knife Edge"? If there is one drummer I really appreciate it is the drummer from Kingston Wall. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #602 of 660

Yes that's correct.

Quote:
Quote:
logwed, are you listening to Spock's Beard with Neal Morse vocals or Nick D'Virgilio? Big difference.

I've listened to X, V, The Light, Snow, and The Kindness of Strangers. 

I believe that X is D'Virgilio and the others are all Morse? I really don't like either vocalist, though. Morse seems like he has a bit more variation, and the albums with him are certainly more inspired musically than X, but I just don't like the really 'forward' vocal style of either of them.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #603 of 660

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think one could easily argue that Bill Bruford is the best Prog drummer of all time.

I have three Spock's Beard records that just arrived. I will listen to them over the weekend I hope.

That's a big statement, I'm a prog. drummer myself, I know and love a lot of them. Nick D'Virgilio (Spock's Beard) is one of my favorites, another one is Neil Peart (Rush), then you have Mike Portnoy offcourse, and since he does Porcupine Tree, Gavin Harrison who has done 'progressive' drumming within the progressive genre.

I think Neil Peart is one of the best drummers of all time, regardless of which type of music, but there are so many. For what I've heard the KC guy, Bill Bruford, is great, but as great as Peart, I'd doubt it.

Things are subjective as hell offcourse.

Ever listened to ELP's "Knife Edge"? If there is one drummer I really appreciate it is the drummer from Kingston Wall. 

Can't find it, is that a CD from ELP or on what CD can I find it?

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #605 of 660
ah, thanks, will try...

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #606 of 660

Quote:

I second this opinion. I love all of Bruford's work (including the straight jazz records) and respect Peart despite not being a huge Rush fan. But Palmer mixes technical prowess and raw energy in a way that is truly special.

I caught the Yes/Asia show in Denver a few years back. Wetton looked indifferent to the whole thing, Howe was clearly saving his energy for the Yes show to follow, and Downes was cheese personified. But Palmer seemed to put every ounce of his being into playing those silly 80s arena anthems.

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #607 of 660
Finally got Force It and Lights Out. All of the songs make better sense on their original albums than on the greatest hits package I had. Now contemplating acquiring Phenomenon and Obsession as well :)

Quote:
That's good that you liked the UFO live album.

I'm not even really sure which UFO album I would consider better out of Force It and No Heavy Petting.

The first Schenker era Phenomenon,Force It,No Heavy Petting,Lights Out, and Obsession are the only albums some people even bother with.
Although other eras have good albums too like the album Mechanix is really great.
UFO is one of those groups they got a lot of albums (20 Studio albums) if a person is enjoying them after a few then go ahead and grab another or two.
But after that it probably comes do to... How much do you like them? And do you want more?
Although that is probably considered true for all bands with a big catalog.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #608 of 660
Interesting, UFO is still on the 'what-is-next-list'...

I was in the mood for new music so Gentle Giant's album "Gentle Giant" will in time get a listen. The story in the album is hilarious.

Update 26/02-2011

Listening to the standard CD issue of the aforementioned Gentle Giant album by Vertigo. I have an issue which I think sounds very soft on CD since my assumption is that the music was directly transferred from vinyl to CD. I just really had to raise the volume to get decent loudness. The number on my album is 842 624-2. Oh well... 

Set up: CDX593 + SRC2496 + K240 DF

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #609 of 660

Quote:
Finally got Force It and Lights Out. All of the songs make better sense on their original albums than on the greatest hits package I had. Now contemplating acquiring Phenomenon and Obsession as well :)

Obsession is essential UFO.
Phenomenon has some great songs even a classic in Doctor Doctor.
But as a album No Heavy Petting,and Mechanix are much stronger albums The Wild The Willing and The Innocent is also really solid.
I would look into those albums before Phenomenon what they started on that sound wise was basically more realized and perfected on Force It and No Heavy Petting.
Mechanix and The Wild The Willing and The Innocent are albums that just have more nurtured and mature UFO sound right before original members started leaving and the major breakup.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #610 of 660
Listened to Mechanix, which was surprisingly fun. Opening track The Writer rocks too. Nice.

Quote:
Obsession is essential UFO.
Phenomenon has some great songs even a classic in Doctor Doctor.
But as a album No Heavy Petting,and Mechanix are much stronger albums The Wild The Willing and The Innocent is also really solid.
I would look into those albums before Phenomenon what they started on that sound wise was basically more realized and perfected on Force It and No Heavy Petting.
Mechanix and The Wild The Willing and The Innocent are albums that just have more nurtured and mature UFO sound right before original members started leaving and the major breakup.

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #611 of 660
Interesting...

I am just listening to Radiohead's album "OK Computer". Warming up listening was done with King Crimson and Coldplay. Radiohead sounds strangely 'progressive and artsy'. There is complexity to the music which at the same time sounds accessible enough to keep you interested. 

Set up: CDX593 + Mark V + K240 DF

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #612 of 660
I've never been able to get into that record. I tried, I really tried, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Listening to a lot of Pain of Salvation and King Crimson lately.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #613 of 660
Agreed, the emotional expression on "OK Computer" is not entirely to my liking. I like Elbow more. Thing is, "OK Computer" just begs for a second listen and Tool gives me the same urge right now so Tool is next.

King Crimson is still a class of its own, so much so I want to savour every moment since casual listening does injustice to King Crimson. "Larks' In Tongues Aspic", words cannot describe that album.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #614 of 660
My favorits up until now, are Red and Discipline, but I have to dig in Larks yet

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #615 of 660
Just listen and nothing else...

Their albums have the strange quality to still surprise me beyond expectation. One of the reasons why I keep postponing listening to "Red".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back