The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
Oct 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #466 of 660

Quote:

Update 24/08-2010:
At the moment I have added about 40 albums to my CD-collection because of this thread and there is more to come. I think I know enough now to go on finding more music related to this thread. That written feel free to add anything topic related for otherwise this thread loses its purpose. Enjoy the music...

It would be nice to see which ones you did and didn't like and why.  Since I discovered metal at a such an early age, If I were introduced to it now, I can only wonder if I would go for the same bands.

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #467 of 660

Quote:
I'm a big Megadeth fan and I would suggest going further back than "Symphony of Destruction" though that is an excellent album. I consider "Rust in Peace" to be one of their best albums. Holy wars is an excellent song with great guitar arrangements and Hanger 18 is one of my favourite Megadeth songs ever. Also "Endgame", their newest, is a fantastic album too.

My favourite Metallica album is Master of Puppets. However I have no time for Metallica's work after the "Black" album.

Skylab mentioned Iron Maiden and you can never go wrong with them. 

Other groups I would suggest:

Machine Head - Start with their first "Burn my Eyes" but you've also got to hear "The Burning Red" and "The Blackening"

Testament- I got into them with "Practice what you Preach" but "Souls of Black" which is their next one is probably my favourite.

Anthrax- Loved "Among the Living" when it first came out. My favourite though is probably "Attack of the Killer B's". These guys do have a sense of humour and it does come out in their music.

Overkill- "Years of Decay" is a classic

Avenged Sevenfold- The Rev is one of the most amazing drummers you will ever hear. Fairly new band so their oldest and their newest are within 8 or so years. My favourite though is their newest self-titled album.

when I first read this I thought, "wow, somebody cloned me!", until I read that last line...
smile_phones.gif

btw, I think I might consider "years of decay" in the top 5 metal albums of all time.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #468 of 660
Quote:
It would be nice to see which ones you did and didn't like and why.  Since I discovered metal at a such an early age, If I were introduced to it now, I can only wonder if I would go for the same bands.

I can tell you this, I did not like Metallica's first album and since I discovered Focus (among others) I have a problem with Dream Theater. 

Regarding Metallica, a bit unfair since I have to give at least the second and third album a good listen. Dream Theater, well I do not like the vocalist and the - in my opinion - pretentious sound from Dream Theater. Thing is, fragments of "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance" sounded very exciting. I prefer Dream Theater's instrumentals anyway...

Right now Kingston Wall is playing. I like Metal every now and then for I prefer the more jazzy and progressive/experimental approach to music. I do have a weak spot for the merciless style of 'Trash' Metal à la Slayer:) violence in stereo 
wink.gif
).

Update:

Just finished listening to Iron Maiden's "Piece Of Mind"(, set up: CD690 + AKG K240 DF). The musical variation is very pleasing. On its own I find this album quite strong and it deserves a second listen. By the way Bruce Dickinson, I think Axl Rose tried to emulate him. That written the vocals and instrumentals sound good. The bassist and drummer still impress me...

Is it me or could "Die With Your Boots On" and "The Trooper" connected to each other work as one track? Also "Flight Of Icarus" is so likeable but even if it serves as an excellent high light I find none of the tracks to sound even remotely uninspired or weak sounding. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #469 of 660
King Crimson, "In The Wake Of Poseidon" with the K240 DF connected to the CD690. 

The album has just finished and I have just hit replay for "The Devils Triangle" and "Peace - An End". I have read comments that this album was too much like the first album, at least that is what I read. Well I disagree. There are similarities here and there since you are still listening to King Crimson but even so I do not regard consistency with a slight tendency to repetition as a weak point if the music on the album on its own still has a certain uniqueness to it, and such is the case for "In The Wake Of Poseidon". In a strange way I find this album just as fascinating as the preceding album and for me the climax of this album is "The Devils Triangle" which even samples King Crimson. 

Peace, whatever it is for King Crimson if it leads to music as fascinating as I have just described it is more than I ever thought it was...

I should stop for this albums brings me in a philosophical state of mind.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #470 of 660

Quote:
Quote:
I can tell you this, I did not like Metallica's first album and since I discovered Focus (among others) I have a problem with Dream Theater. 

Regarding Metallica, a bit unfair since I have to give at least the second and third album a good listen. Dream Theater, well I do not like the vocalist and the - in my opinion - pretentious sound from Dream Theater. Thing is, fragments of "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance" sounded very exciting. I prefer Dream Theater's instrumentals anyway...

Right now Kingston Wall is playing. I like Metal every now and then for I prefer the more jazzy and progressive/experimental approach to music. I do have a weak spot for the merciless style of 'Trash' Metal à la Slayer:) violence in stereo 
wink.gif
).

Update:

Just finished listening to Iron Maiden's "Piece Of Mind"(, set up: CD690 + AKG K240 DF). The musical variation is very pleasing. On its own I find this album quite strong and it deserves a second listen. By the way Bruce Dickinson, I think Axl Rose tried to emulate him. That written the vocals and instrumentals sound good. The bassist and drummer still impress me...

Is it me or could "Die With Your Boots On" and "The Trooper" connected to each other work as one track? Also "Flight Of Icarus" is so likeable but even if it serves as an excellent high light I find none of the tracks to sound even remotely uninspired or weak sounding. 

-Dream Theater are progressive gods in the mainstream metal community but I see why you may find them to be a bit pretentious.  My wife, like yourself, likes the music and not the vocalist.

-There are several bands out there that combine the merciless violence of Slayer (even more so) combined with the progressive nature of Dream Theater if you are interested.  Only a few come to mind, but try out 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mesr2siegRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhpz1F32MIo

-I never thought that Axl Rose sounded like he was imitating Bruce Dickinson.  Interesting observation.  Maiden is one of the few bands in metal where all the members EXCEPT the guitarists receive tons of adoration.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #471 of 660
I just finished listening to David Bowie's "Low" which is a really rewarding album. I have a hard time describing it for myself so all I can write is this: beautifully crafted, experimental and synthesizers. Now I am listening to the track "Warszawa". 

Set up: CD690 + K240 DF

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #473 of 660
Ooh! I really like "Warszawa"

Quote:
I just finished listening to David Bowie's "Low" which is a really rewarding album. I have a hard time describing it for myself so all I can write is this: beautifully crafted, experimental and synthesizers. Now I am listening to the track "Warszawa". 

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #474 of 660
I really dig the first side of Low. Those songs are pretty powerful. The synths on side 2 were pretty groundbreaking for a rock album, but not as potent as some of the minimalist electronic music of the time.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #475 of 660
Given that this thread is 32 pages long, I'm sure you've gotten plenty of suggestions by now, so I'll just say that you could find worse places to start than the metal and prog recs here: http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/music0.html

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #476 of 660
All I know is that this thread grew beyond expectation and thanks to the many suggestions I am still not done digging. The late sixties and early seventies have brought forth very interesting music. 

There is a lot I still have to give a good listen. Early King Crimson and Uriah Heep for starters...

Tru blu, thanks to Low I am considering the early Brian Eno albums, at least his first or third...

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #477 of 660
Early Crimson... well, In the Court... is probably the best prog album ever made. I know there are many others that you'd put up there with it, but I find myself returning to it far more than any of the others. If you love it (like most do), Poseidon is a worthy follow-up in nearly the identical vein, but I just don't find that it's as deep or consistently outstanding/memorable. Lizard is really dense jazz/rock/experimental stuff that even after a dozen listens I still haven't made up my mind about. I like it a lot when it's playing, but I tend to forget about it when I finish it. Islands I think is underrated and I love the more laid-back, spacious soundscapes it offers up. That more or less wraps up their truly early stuff, as their 70s stuff was getting into their second period with Larks', Starless, and Red (all of which are absolutely essential).

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #478 of 660

Quote:

Tru blu, thanks to Low I am considering the early Brian Eno albums, at least his first or third...

If you're thinking of stuff more in line with the instrumentals on Low, I'd say the 2nd and 3rd Enos: Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) and Another Green World. The first, Here Come The Warm Jets, is more a rock album, though it's without question an excellent one. I love them all.

Since I've crashed the thread, I might as well add another of my proggy faves:

John McLaughlin - Devotion

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #480 of 660
Right now I am listening to King Crimson's "Lizard" again. This album sounds very deceptive. "Cirkus" is kind of a dark sounding track for starters and after that the intensity of the following tracks drops a bit and after the pop sounding "Lizard" the dark King Crimson sound returns. This album is filled with jazzy and classical influences which add to a more light sounding album on the whole but if you listen closely there is a distinct chaos which only slightly veils the grim sound of this album.

The end of this albums play time is nearing and I am still not sure when the album ends while listening to the album. Just when you think the music is over there can be more to follow. It is this aspect which surprised me numerous times. Thing is, when this album is done it is done. I do not get the feeling - or even better - urge to replay a particular track. I am not left satisfied or unsatisfied, just in a state of tranquility which I cannot describe. This is one of the strangest albums I have listened to... 

P.S. Later tonight I will give "Islands" a listen.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back