The EX70's newest sibling: Sony MDR-EX71SL
Feb 24, 2003 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Tina

100+ Head-Fier
seems like another pair for the trash dispenser. check this review.

rolleyes.gif

where have all the 484's gone?

Feb 24, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 17
thanks, tina, i was wondering about those.

he gave it 4/5 stars, but also didn't like them as much as the ex70, if that says anything. i think sony has it in them to make a great canal phone, which we haven't seen yet. lord knows they're trying (i think).

Feb 24, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
When someone says the words 'beloved EX70' and 'I'm a semi audiophile' you have to take into account that those two phrases are mutually exclusive.
evil_smiley.gif

good point, :p

Feb 24, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 17
I A/Bed my modded "The Plugs"(new version) and EX70 for an hour using two MD players (Sony N1, Sharp DS8) and came to a conclusion that I actually much prefer the plugs. EX70, to my ears, had less treble edge and more subtle details but was even boomier than the plugs and I was very unimpressed by the 'phones. After putting the bass control all the way down EX70s were very listanable but they were practically unusable for my ears on my DS8s which don't have an bass control.(well, it does.. but i can't put decrease the amount of bass). On the good side, EX70s were very comfortable, definitely much more comfortable than Etys with silicon tips.

If the new ones are really boomier than the old ones.... whoa....

Feb 24, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 17
The 888 has too little bass, the EX70 and EX71 have too much bass... I would begin to think Sony is forcing you to buy both...
mad.gif

I wonder if putting a LC-OFC cord into the EX7x would solve the boomy sound issue...
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 17
i had a problem with my ex70 falling out every time i flared my nostrils. oh wait, you mean they go in your ears?

Feb 25, 2003 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
The 888 has too little bass, the EX70 and EX71 have too much bass... I would begin to think Sony is forcing you to buy both...
mad.gif

it seems like most 888 owners are also EX70 owners. i know i am!
biggrin.gif
sony did a job on me...
mad.gif

cheers.

Feb 25, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by bong
it seems like most 888 owners are also EX70 owners. i know i am!
biggrin.gif
sony did a job on me...
mad.gif

cheers.

and me! lol

Feb 25, 2003 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
mad.gif

888 in the left ear and EX70 in the right.
Some where in the middle of your head you get the perfect bass
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 17
If they are the EX70's sibling, does that make them Junk Jr? I own a pair, and while they do isolate quite well, they just don't sound very good. And if these new ones aren't as good.....

Feb 25, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #12 of 17
hi ServinginEcuador. how are you?
as you know from these forums, the unatractive point of the ex70's is the muddy/boomy bass. according to the review link above, "...the bass and treble and overall range have been improved noticeably; sounds are crisper, but boomier at the same time....".
biggrin.gif
hehehehe, the word "improved" could mean a million things.
just the word "boomier" made me quiver
biggrin.gif
when i read that again just now, i thought, this could be another pair made to be our guinea pig for headphone surgeons out here. who knows maybe some of you could make better results out of these buds than your surgery trodden 70's.
a good alternative for those that can't afford ety's. now who'll be the first surgeon with nice pockets to go to the O.R. and have his religious fun?

Feb 26, 2003 at 9:42 AM Post #13 of 17
Well it aint just Sony trying to shaft you. The best earbuds cost exactly $15 tops (MX-500/400). But yet, no company appears to be willing to make a quality portable-oriented ear-canal phone for less than $270 (ER-4P)?

Even the $129 ER-6 apparently is pretty lame with the bass, and is not the greatest with un-amped portables. Your average person playing a portable wants decent sound AND some bass kick - and portable amps are not even in the frame of reference for most owners of CD PLayers, MP# or minidiscs. That's why Sony keeps selling tons of these EX-70's at $50, despite critics paning it: if you have to compromise you want some bass. Its a very low percentage of the market who will pony up $270 to get ER-4P's.

The price point to move units on these things is probably $30-$50 tops. That' probably why the EX-70 seems to have been basically repackaged as the EX-51

But still, considering what Sennheiser gives you for $10, NO ONE can step up to the plate with a QUALITY ear-canal phone for $50 or even $70? That's just lame, especially considering what seems to be some significant demand out there.

Etymotic, Shure: I know you guys monitor these boards. You guys need to step up to the plate in a credible way here ...

Feb 26, 2003 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 17
The ex-51 has a hard plastic body while the ex-70/71's have the rubber body. The specs in the sony catalog are all identical for all 3 of them, freq response, sensitivity, and impedence. The 71's are selling at the same price as the 70's and the 51's are less than 1000 yen cheaper.

Feb 26, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by skagen
Even the $129 ER-6 apparently is pretty lame with the bass, and is not the greatest with un-amped portables.

i disagree. with the foamies i get plenty of bass with my er6. i was listening to boards of canada this morning using a mzr70 and the er6 w/o an amp and the bass was tight, dynamic and deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back