The Everlasting Players...running on AAs or AAAs only!
Apr 17, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Outta curiosity...is a microdrive a flash or hard drive?

hard drive (and they seem to be on the way out losing to flash ram).

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Hmm....I tried searching for both conventional and non-conventional user-replaceable batteries and it couldn't find anything.

I think it's a conspiracy...
blink.gif
eek.gif
basshead.gif

Hmm, it used to work. They must be having a problem.

I think it's a real shame there's so few players with normal batteries. I guess they want people to buy a new one every year or two.

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #22 of 54
Apr 20, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #23 of 54
Hey, thanks for the list! It makes my searches a lot easier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I've decided that being able to run off of AAs or AAAs is the top feature I'd want in a portable rig. I think i's sad that they stopped making the Creative Labs Muvo TX FM at 1GB...it was such a bad ass design. Another sad thing is that the Cowon G3 is the best thing available, IMO, really...and it only goes up to 2GB, which is unacceptable to me. I chose to purchase the Sansa e280 (w/ proprietary but replaceable battery) just for the 8 gigs @ $145, whereas Cowon G3 was $110. . . .

The Creative Muvo TX was replaced by the Muvo V100. It's essentially the same design (AAA battery, USB on the player) expect up to 2gbs.

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #24 of 54
Is the iAudio 5 available anywhere else but at eBay? I've tried tracking one down (2GB - haven't found the 2GB even at eBay but maybe I didn't look hard enough) but since it's no longer in production internet stores are dropping them...

What I'm hoping to do is to put together a "backpackers delight" kind of portable rig which means AA and/or AAA only, no internal batteries (even though getting one of these is an idea). The iAudio 5 seems to have a line out (correct me if I'm wrong) which means I could get a SuperMicro (and maybe a super short, tiny DIY IC between these á la "Kramer's leech"), stitch a simple cover to hold them both and still have a tiny package, sounding excellent and running on batteries. Together with PK1, complemented by a pair of IEMs (probably my current ER4P/S), it should get me through most hurdles, including noisy trains.

Are there other AA/AAA (flash) players with line-out available? [Edit2]: Scratch that, are there AA/AAA flash players with line out at all?

Ooops, didn't mean to hi-jack, sorry. I'm all over AA/AAA players at the moment.

[Edit1]: I can't find any real info on a line out on the iAudio 5 so maybe I jumped to conlusions since there's a second mini-jack (mic?) next to headphone one.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #25 of 54
I've owned a Iaudio 5 and it wasn't a line-out, it was a line-in. I had the 1GB version but I saw a few 2GB one on eBay. You can find it here but it's bloody expensive compared to what you would pay on eBay : http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=186

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a Iaudio 5 and it wasn't a line-out, it was a line-in. I had the 1GB version but I saw a few 2GB one on eBay. You can find it here but it's bloody expensive compared to what you would pay on eBay : http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=186

Thanks, I was hoping a bit much for a small AA/AAA flash player, when wanting line-out, I guess. :p

I don't think it's available on Jetmall any longer. It says "N" for "In stock" (newer items, of course, are all "Y").

The search goes on. Probably have to settle for a non-amped PK2/ER4-P setup. Oh well.

May 16, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #27 of 54
The Sansa e130 and e140 run off a single AAA and take an SD card. I have several cards and swap them. Decent display and sorts by tags. Very good sound with Koss KSC75s, better to my ears than my newer Creative Zen Nano. The Sansa also has SRS surround if you want that. The Sansas are selling refurbed right now for good prices. A thread somewhere said the refurbs are new ones they found in a warehouse that they opened and reflashed with newer firmware.

I also have an old Archos Jukebox Recorder and a more recent Toshiba Gigabeat F series, both Rockboxed. The sound off the Archos is far superior, very powerful, but as noted above it is limited to MP3s.

For some reason I can't find an excuse to unload my mp3 players. I just end up putting them in different places (work, in my bag for bus rides, gave one to my daughter, etc.).

Based on my Archos/Gigabeat and Sanza/Zen experience I am guessing that a similar thing is happening to mp3 players that happened to PCDPs near the end of their run--companies are using cheaper components with higher battery life/lower output at the expense of quality sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back