The ethics of buying and returning headphones (or anything really)
Oct 31, 2016 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Onetwothree

Head-Fier
So for Christmas I'll be getting my girlfriend a pair of decent headphones. She wants the Bose QC35's because it's Bose and she thinks Bose sounds good. I'm not sure if she likes the sound signature of Bose or if she's just been won over by the marketing. She doesn't read these forums and I don't think shes familiar with any other brands other than Bose so I think it's just the marketing at work but I know some people do like the sound signature of Bose.

So I'm thinking of buying the Bose QC35's and the Bower and Wilkins P7 Wireless, letting her try them out for 2-3 weeks and then just letting her choose for herself which ones she wants to keep. I know these are available to try in store but the Bose bias is strong and I don't think anything but proper listening sessions at home will allow her to truly choose which ones she truly likes. She may very well end up keeping the Bose and I have no problems with that. The Bose are noise cancelling headphones and that may or may not be important to her but right now she wants them only because they are Bose. Mainly, I just want her to give the P7's a fair chance.

I don't feel bad about returning items because I don't purchase with the intention of returning. If I return something its because the product didn't meet my expectations and I'm making fair use of the return policy. I'm in the United States and stores here have pretty liberal return policies.

In this case I am thinking of buying with the intention of returning one of the two pairs. I feel like it's in the grey territory of fair use of the return policy because one of the pairs will be kept.

So I'm curious what this forum thinks about this scenario.

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 7
In my opinion contact the store and be completly honest with them about your intentions. If they are fine with it then go for it. If not, suck it up and be honest and sell it on here or somewhere else second hand. Some places have no problem with it, some might have a restocking fee as they loose money, but be honest.

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 7
in the united states u paid that extra 25% or even more , for the sake of the trail and return policy. nothing is wrong with ur intention.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 7
in the united states u paid that extra 25% or even more , for the sake of the trail and return policy. nothing is wrong with ur intention.

No you paid a markup because its costs to run a business. You have to pay for the building, stock, electricity, employees,and the furnashings from shelves, light bulbs, even to toilet paper and cleaning supplies for the restrooms. Manufacturers cover defective products, but the businesses loose the money on the non defective open boxed items they resale at a discount or cant sell and wind up having to use as a store display.

Always check with the store on the policy with full disclosure of intentions.

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 7
sorry, msrp is profit included for the reseller. like apple. all apple resellers selling at apple listed price on the web.

and that's why u can get iphone 7 at a much lower price in HK. even HK rental is world top 3 highest.

but for premium headphone DAC , these are nich items. the profit range and margin can be super high. depends on where and how many you get the stocks from.

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 7
sorry, msrp is profit included for the reseller. like apple. all apple resellers selling at apple listed price on the web.

and that's why u can get iphone 7 at a much lower price in HK. even HK rental is world top 3 highest.

but for premium headphone DAC , these are nich items. the profit range and margin can be super high. depends on where and how many you get the stocks from.

Yes but stores still have overhead and not to mention labor costs. You take a product and open it and return a fully functioning product in the us you can not sell it at full price. It must be marked down. The establishment just lost profit margins on that item because a customer returned that item. Not only did it loose the profit margin it also had to pay an employee to repackage that item and restock it as well as re ring the item up. Everything cost money in a buisness as you have to pay someone to do the work. Now you are not even breaking even but loosing money on said product.

This is why many companies charge a restocking fee.

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 7
sounds super alright IMO. this is the reason why in the US the return policy is so liberal.
It has a long history of people buying stuff from magazines and ship them to long distances and isolated areas. Some people use to buy shirts and gloves like that and return what don't fit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back