The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Nov 19, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #1,651 of 2,141
That is a shame the Neotech lan cable didn't work out for you. I'm using the neotech 3008 copper lan cable which replaced the supra lan cable. It's not a night and day upgrade coming from the supra to the neotech 3008. Both are warmer sounding cables. I'm not a big fan of silver with the exception of oem neotech upocc silver. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the 1008.

The Sotm DCBL-7 makes the neotech look like the most pliable cable in the world. If you need flexibility, I would stay away from the sotm. If you can somehow work the sotm cable in the chain, I would recommend them. It's one of my favorite lan cables, and still one that I currently use in my chain.
Ok, I missed your reply... Always appreciate your comments and contributions so I’ll give the Neotech a listen next week and share my thoughts.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,652 of 2,141
Ok, I missed your reply... Always appreciate your comments and contributions so I’ll give the Neotech a listen next week and share my thoughts.
If you feel it's too risky for your components because of the inflexibility, I understand if you choose not to attempt connecting the 1008. I can't put the neotech or sotm cables in many different configurations because of the inflexibility as well.

My lan chain is jcat xe -> sotm dcbl7 -> etherregen -> sfp fiber -> lhy fmc -> neotech 3008 -> router -> pangea ethernet cable -> modem
Router and modem are powered through the ps stellar 3 power plant
Etherregen powered by a ferrum hypsos directly into the wall
lhy fmc is powered through the psm156

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #1,653 of 2,141
If you feel it's too risky for your components because of the inflexibility, I understand if you choose not to attempt connecting the 1008. I can't put the neotech or sotm cables in many different configurations because of the inflexibility as well.

My lan chain is jcat xe -> sotm dcbl7 -> etherregen -> sfp fiber -> lhy fmc -> neotech 3008 -> router -> pangea ethernet cable -> modem
Router and modem are powered through the ps stellar 3 power plant
Etherregen powered by a ferrum hypsos directly into the wall
lhy fmc is powered through the psm156
Now that’s a solid LAN chain, congrats :thumbsup:

What’s ”LHY FMC”?

P.S. Exactly, I lost patience with the inflexibilty.

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #1,656 of 2,141
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #1,657 of 2,141
Heelo.

Ahkshully, Jussi does not recommend metal shrouded cables.

This is something you don’t want. Check for CAT6(a) U/UTP cables with plastic connectors. Preferably look for CAT6a U/UTP 500 MHz rated cables.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #1,659 of 2,141
Nov 19, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,660 of 2,141
Oh he said shielded.
Yes mine cable is a CAT 5 20awg solid OCC 6n silver UTP(unshielded twisted pair)
To my knowledge no one is using as large of a gauge as I am or as pure as a conductor as I am. No one is using air as the dielectric either.

Thats one of the main reasons I don’t use Telegartner brand connectors.
They are shielded and only allow max 24awg conductors.

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #1,661 of 2,141
Yes mine cable is a CAT 5 20awg solid OCC 6n silver UTP(unshielded twisted pair)
To my knowledge no one is using as large of a gauge as I am or as pure as a conductor as I am. No one is using air as the dielectric either.
Increasing the capacitance is the answer?

Have you even matched the impedance?

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #1,662 of 2,141

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #1,665 of 2,141
I now have the following:

iFi LAN i Silencer -> Router -> Belden Catsnake -> Switch -> Inakustik Premium -> iMac (Roon and Audirvana) -> USB

Thank you 🙏 for clarifying where you placed the Inakustik Premium cable.

Aha, when comparing my setup I do see a few similarities to yours [Belden & iSilencer], as well as a number of differences.

My path is ...
Asus Modem > Belden Catsnake 5e -> iFi LAN iSilencer -> Firewall/Router -> iFi LAN iSilencer -> Belden Catsnake 5e -> MikroTik Switch -> Corning MultiMode Fibre with Finisar SFP modules -> UpTone Audio EtherREGEN -> Belden Catsnake 5e -> Naim Atom HE -> Focal Utopia 2022

So in some sense I’m back to where I started :smile:

It happens :), I have gone down this path sometimes too :relaxed:.

The idea behind a more structured approach when buying stuff is that I’ve had a tendency to fall for marketing speak and hyperbole, often more expensive being the better thing. Now I force myself to sit down, use tracks I know and then compare by actually taking notes. The process forces me to be more critical.

Too true, more expensive is not always better.
For my switch I purchased some new optical SFP modules $80 each ... and I actually like my 2nd hand Finisar SFP modules which only cost $8 each a whole lot better!
Fully agree with your thoughts above regarding your process, sounds wise.

The other thing I liked was the range of music you selected to test.
Some people review using tracks which are esoteric, yet you used a range of music from which I believe a lot of people would have familiarity with at least 1 or 2 tracks at a minimum.

The only makers that I know of who make ethernet cables with Belden Catsnake 6A, are Designacable in the UK, and also Ghent Audio.
I already have the Belden Catsnake Cat 5e version by Designacable, while I am happy with the Belden cable, not that much of a fan of the sentinel connectors that are used [I have freebie cables that are less fussy and seem to make a more solid connection and that "clink" sound when attached correctly. When attached/removed a couple of dozen times, the sentinel connectors seem to experience a bit of wear].

I am going to do a bit more research, despite my very slight misgivings regarding sentinel connectors I will probably go with Designacable again [great build & service].
My previous interaction with Designacable are very positive, though this time I will go for Belden Catsnake 6A with "floating" option for shield.

@TheR0v3r from which cable manufacturer of Belden Catsnake 6A did you purchase?

Thanks again:thumbsup:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back