The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Apr 26, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #1,246 of 2,134
Im just gonna leave this here, if you only have one isolator and don't know where to put it. This is the best practice and purpose of the isolator, however your ears decide. I personally placed my Baaske on the endpoint/source/streamer.
1682538188178.png

I would not use one if I had a good audiophile switch. I would put the audiophile switch closer like I would with the isolator.

No need for isolator if you have a good audiophile switch, Im pretty sure even without trying the SW8
I agree with the principle of putting your highest quality Ethernet device closest to your streaming endpoint, which from my listening tests appears to be the SW-8 which I connect direct to my R26. However the iFis plugged into other ports of the SW-8, one to the Netgear & router, the other to my Mac Mini server, each definitely further improves the sound further in the manner @JjB067 describes. I assume good quality FMCs would do similar, though some folk who already use FMCs find the iFis improve things further.

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,247 of 2,134
I agree with the principle of putting your highest quality Ethernet device closest to your streaming endpoint, which from my listening tests appears to be the SW-8 which I connect direct to my R26. However the iFis plugged into other ports of the SW-8, one to the Netgear & router, the other to my Mac Mini server, each definitely further improves the sound further in the manner @JjB067 describes. I assume good quality FMCs would do similar, though some folk who already use FMCs find the iFis improve things further.
Thats cool though, I still waiting to raise funds to try this, but it is actually down the list as Im focusing on power in general

However when talking about Fiber and ethernet on the same chain, I start to get allergic reactions. If i had the SW8 Im not experimenting adding more converter/powersupplies(FMC)

I know fiber has this advantage of being immune to rf and noise. Whatever.

SW8 and good CAT8(Supra) should be enough for that.

I have not decided myself yet, but I am considering either a Ethernet card or Fiber card on my pc.

Its easier for me to choose the ethernet path. But if I decide fiber I will eliminate everything that has to do with ethernet on the chain for sure. Period.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #1,248 of 2,134
I assume good quality FMCs would do similar, though some folk who already use FMCs find the iFis improve things further.
Im using that approach to isolate noise throughout my network chain. The docsis modem is powered by a 12v ipowerX. The Asus router uses a DC Purifier 2 and Lan iSilencer at the WAN port. FMC uses a 9v ipowerX and fiber out to the EtherRegen also powered by an 9v ipowerX. And this feeds to the TPlink M9Deco mesh (12v ipowerX)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #1,249 of 2,134
Always interesting to find something "new" in this hobby.

https://waversasystems.com/wlan-isolator-ext1
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/63445-waversa-lan-isolator-ext1/

1682581130558.png
1682581148908.png

....thinking I would justify the purchase, then I saw the price

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #1,250 of 2,134
Always interesting to find something "new" in this hobby.

https://waversasystems.com/wlan-isolator-ext1
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/63445-waversa-lan-isolator-ext1/

1682581130558.png1682581148908.png

....thinking I would justify the purchase, then I saw the price
It can be lost in the translation, but the following is a gibberish:

what is the principle of removing noise?

Representative Shin Jun-ho: I can't explain everything because it's a patent

Read "because it's not disclosed in a patent". .LOL.

Principle of operation has to be disclosed in the patent. This is how protection works: you disclose nature of invention, patent gives you protection.

In plain language it means that something else had been patented. It is a frequent case of patenting a secondary feature, abusing patenting system.

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #1,252 of 2,134
It depends if you have much noise or not in your system, best is to try. I tried melco, EE8, Paul pang quad, didn’t notice any difference, but I gave optical fiber into the house. Getting a streamer would probably be the better choise. As it eliminate the computer noise. Both if you have noisy Ethernet. Ifi lan silencer is cheap and maybe worth a shot.

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #1,254 of 2,134
If SW10 is based on CBS220-8T-E-2G. I am wondering if they still have the software and app features implemented hmm

1682686017628.png

Anyone who has this switch should try....192.168.1.1?

Apr 28, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,255 of 2,134
These supra CAT8 is stiff.

Use case:
PC - CAT8 Supra 0.5m - network isolator - CAT8 Supra 6m

Im planning on trying the switch/Linksys the SW8 i based on since I have Torus TOT MAX as good power source.

The Cisco the SW10 is based on is actually not that expensive. Might go with that.

Apr 28, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,256 of 2,134
Understandably trying to figure out what is the best way to feed a clean signal to your streamer/server, on its way to your DAC, can be a crapshoot given how much gear and ways to approach the issue are available today. I chose to use relatively inexpensive network switches in cascade to re-clock the signal with independent power supplies, and that worked for me.

My house is wired with fiber optic cable throughout, and I have a stable buried electrical connection that obviated a lot of the noise going into my router. From there my interconnects and powered sources, streamer, upsampler, DAC, hp amplifier and cables to my hp’s, are only the best that I could justify spending my money on. If there was a one box solution to cover all of the vagaries of internet streaming, then I’d be all over it. As an example, I tried a dCS Bartok as an all in one, but it didn’t give me the SQ that I was looking for.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #1,257 of 2,134
The Supra cat8 has metal on the connector. I read somewhere that it’s better to have plastic housing because of some ground loop issues ? Idk. But I see most cables have metal housing. What’s the take on this?

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #1,259 of 2,134
@OCC7N, thanks for posting the video about cascading switches, it was very informative. It was @teknorob23 who suggested that I put two iFi Elite powered network switches between my router and his Eno Ethernet filter system Ag to improve the SQ in my setup. https://www.networkacoustics.com/shop/eno-streaming-system/. It really worked to give the music a more analog and enjoyable sound.

Apr 30, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #1,260 of 2,134
It was @teknorob23 who suggested that I put two iFi Elite powered network switches between my router and his Eno Ethernet filter system Ag to improve the SQ in my setup. It really worked to give the music a more analog and enjoyable sound.
I have taken a cheaper route by powering most of my network gear with iPowerX (12 & 9v) and 2 lan iSilencer units and I only stream Quboz and the sound now is very analogue. Its making my analogue setup - Dr Fieckert Woodpecker 2, Kuzma Stogi 12 vta, Lyra Delos setup nearly redundant now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back