The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
Jan 17, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #362 of 2,214
Neat - what are you powering that Telegartner switch with?

just the original power supply.Will get a linear power supply one day. Selling some old gear to fund it.

I went from a Cisco 2930, to a silent angel bonn n8, and then to this telegartner

All 3 have a totally different presentation to the music, so there’s no right or wrong answer, just whichever you enjoy more with your system.

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #363 of 2,214
just the original power supply.Will get a linear power supply one day. Selling some old gear to fund it.

I went from a Cisco 2930, to a silent angel bonn n8, and then to this telegartner

All 3 have a totally different presentation to the music, so there’s no right or wrong answer, just whichever you enjoy more with your system.

Ive been itching to try one and yours is the first one of these i've seen in the wild, have you tried it with any other cables, or just those supplied and do you find you find any downsides with, any loss of dynamics?

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #364 of 2,214
I’ve only used the supplied cables given that they use m12 D coded connectors so you would have to custom make a cable.
that being said, I’m using an audioquest cinnamon and sotm isocat6 from my fiber modem To my router (Ubiquiti UDM) and then a viablue Ethernet from router to wall. the SOtM isocat6 with their black cable brings the mids more forward and can sound quite harsh if implemented too close to the steamer.

the m12 magic has a more laid back presentation in comparison to the other two switches, but there is a huge improvement in detail separation and layering and the presentation of the singer is further back, like you’re sitting further away from the singer. Overall the PRAT is good, and the presentation is the most musical. I don’t hear any loss in dynamics.

For the bonn, it’s more hifi sounding, wider soundstage, airy and sweet highs, lower noise floor than the Cisco. For the price I think it presents good value. It was slightly bass heavier so I had to retune my system by adjusting the subwoofer level lower.

Cisco provides a lower noise floor than a generic Netgear switch. The presentation is more forward in the mids, and it feels like the singer is much closer to you.

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #365 of 2,214
I’ve only used the supplied cables given that they use m12 D coded connectors so you would have to custom make a cable.
that being said, I’m using an audioquest cinnamon and sotm isocat6 from my fiber modem To my router (Ubiquiti UDM) and then a viablue Ethernet from router to wall. the SOtM isocat6 with their black cable brings the mids more forward and can sound quite harsh if implemented too close to the steamer.

the m12 magic has a more laid back presentation in comparison to the other two switches, but there is a huge improvement in detail separation and layering and the presentation of the singer is further back, like you’re sitting further away from the singer. Overall the PRAT is good, and the presentation is the most musical. I don’t hear any loss in dynamics.

For the bonn, it’s more hifi sounding, wider soundstage, airy and sweet highs, lower noise floor than the Cisco. For the price I think it presents good value. It was slightly bass heavier so I had to retune my system by adjusting the subwoofer level lower.

Cisco provides a lower noise floor than a generic Netgear switch. The presentation is more forward in the mids, and it feels like the singer is much closer to you.

thanks thats really interesting to hear. I'm going to have to lay my hands on one as i'm really keen to hear how it sounds with our filters in front of it

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #367 of 2,214
Jan 18, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #368 of 2,214
dont worry, it's all in my head :)

Not really :D

..less noise upstream = less noise in a DAC = more accurate clocking/filtering = more accurate upsampling = better transient accuracy = shift in perception of soundstage....

hows that? - phase-noise theory in mixed-signal processing, captured in one line :D

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #369 of 2,214

..less noise upstream = less noise in a DAC = more accurate clocking/filtering = more accurate upsampling = better transient accuracy = shift in perception of soundstage....

hows that? - phase-noise theory in mixed-signal processing, captured in one line :D
Off topic, but nice new avatar!

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #370 of 2,214

It also occurred to me that most M12 connectors and associated equipment are IP68 rated, so you are good to go in case of rising sea levels and flash floods :D

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #371 of 2,214

yeah haha, i was just joking :)

there are lots of audiophile modding switches, upgrading the clocks and linear power supplies.
obviously not worth it unless you've spent a ton of money on other hardware already

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #373 of 2,214
For a minute, let's assume there is something to improve from your PC to your DAC which is connected to the PC via TOSLINK (optical). So I do not want to discuss this part with you.

Here is a scenario that I want to discuss:
I download a very complex file from a server, e.g. my Google Drive and save it to my hard drive in my PC. For my work I need a bit-perfect copy of the data from my Google Drive. Is it possible to get this bit-perfect copy via my standard router with standard cheap ethernet cables?
The answer is yes. I have a program that can check whether the transmission was bit-perfect. Everytime I download the file, it is always bit-perfect equal to the original file. Now I can continue with my work.

If my file can be transmitted bit-perfectly via cheap cables and routers, why does a music file (e.g. an mp3) need better hardware? Since it is bit-perfect, the only bottleneck should be the connection to the DAC right?

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #374 of 2,214
If my file can be transmitted bit-perfectly via cheap cables and routers, why does a music file (e.g. an mp3) need better hardware? Since it is bit-perfect, the only bottleneck should be the connection to the DAC right?

More correct to say the network bridge/player or streamer is the bottleneck. That's where the data needs to be resampled into a time/data stream (USB, SPDIF, whatever), and that's the first place that noise can impact the accuracy of that conversion. It's not a gross effect, but it definitely causes incorrect blocks in the USB stream, that are ignored by the DAC - tiny errors in the DAC inputs cause tiny errors in transients at the DAC output, giving effects like digital 'grain', or 'darkness' or 'harshness', depending on how the stream was affected in the Streamer, and (bluntly) the quality of the DAC.

Your optical option gives you great isolation between your player and your DAC, but the original conversion from flat file to stream will already have been compromised at conversion to some extent - at least your DAC only has to contend with its own noise, not everything upstream :D

So, for me, ethernet cables and devices matter, as they are all part of a mechanism to minimise (not remove) noise upstream of the streamer, player or network bridge, and improve the quality of streaming conversion at the point where the signal is dumped into a time-domain (it also helps minimise noise in the DAC for those of us who connect electrically).

They also look nice, and allow us to look down upon mere mortals who still use patch cables :D (only joking, there's nothing wrong with that if it works in the system!!)

Blue.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #375 of 2,214
ethernet cables are one of those things that doesn't make sense but doesn't hurt to try if you can borrow cables from a friend or a dealer. It can be difficult to dip your toe into it since 0 and 1's should all be the same

i've gone through blue jeans belden cat6 cat6e cat7, supra cat8, audioquest cinnamon, viablue ep7, acoustic revive triple c lan, audioquest diamond, SoTM Cat7 and isocat6, and now Telegartner's own M12 cable

back in the day, i didnt believe that digital coaxial cables made a difference but i was lucky enough to have a friend that had a few to borrow from, and then the mind was blown. This was the same with usb cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back