The eternal 100$ question yet again
Sep 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mi3zu

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Welcome to another iteration of the 100$ question. 
Basically I'm looking for some replacements for my HD428's. They are kinda wearing down and I don't know how much they will hang on in there. I previously had some (partially faulty) SR60's that I loved anyway.
I mostly listen to rock (not a lot of metal), blues, jazz with a bit of everything else thrown in there. But I'm mostly interested that the headphones will sound good with those 3 genres. I'll be using them on my PC which isn't equipped with a special soundcard and source files are 320kbkps MP3's or FLAC's.
Now I've seen a lot of cans that vary in price a lot from 50 to about 120$:
- Sony MDR V6
- AKG K240
- Alessandro MS1
- Grado SR60
- Creative Aurvana Live
- Philips CitiScape Downtown
- Goldring DR150 (can these still be found?)
- Samson SR950
- Superluxes
- KRK KNS 6400
and there's probably others
I'm trying to somehow navigate through the FOTM's but I can't seem to be good at it.
I'm NOT interested in the looks, comfort(I've yet to find one uncomfortable headphone), size or any other aesthetic aspect.
I'm not decided on closed vs open ear. I think I'm leaning more towards open because I enjoyed my Grados a bit more compared to my Sennheisers and the leaking sound is not a concern.
Another concern is the fact that I kinda need to find them shipped worldwide. Some of those on the list on top can be found in my country and some not. But they all average at around 100$.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for any answers/advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back