"The Eroica Effect"
Mar 27, 2008 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JayG

100+ Head-Fier
Just got back a couple hours ago from "The Eroica Effect," a half-lecture, half-concert by Andrew Manze and his Helsingborg Symphony. The first half is a lecture in which Manze explains and the orchestra performs important works that influenced Beethoven's composition of the 3rd symphony (Mozart's Zauberflöte overture, the opening on Haydn's "Creation" etc.). The second half is a complete performance of the Eroica.

It was magnificent. As committed and transcendent a performance of the piece as I've ever heard. Beethoven was alive in the hall tonight.

Tonight was the first stop in a 12-concert U.S. tour. If they are coming anywhere near you, rape, pillage, and plunder to get a ticket. The glowing reviews will be in the papers soon, trust me. You heard it here first.

-Jay

P.S. Manze and the Helsingborg Symphony have a newly released CD on Harmonia Mundi of the Eroica. I've not heard it, but if it's anything like the concert tonight, it'll move straight to the top of my to-buy list. Anyone own it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back