The Ergo AMT Review. (56k, Dont Even Try)
Sep 15, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
If your question is "Duggeh have you heard..."

Wull... mine had a comma after Duggeh, dinnit..

Quote:

...you can bet your bottom dollor the answer will be no.
wink.gif

I can? .. It will?

Quote:

Why?

We had a guy (johnmatrix, I think) who said the XR45 sounded really insanely great driving his Stax. Thought the Ergo (not to be confused with the Ergot 'phone with the psychedelic sound feature) AMT would respond well to the cleanliness people claim to get from a digital amp. Mine should be here tomorrow; I'll let you know how it sounds on 'stats.

Sep 15, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Mine should be here tomorrow; I'll let you know how it sounds on 'stats.

Tut tut, my dear Wualta. You should have practiced reticence, but now you're going to have to give us a full and in depth review. Let that be a lesson to you.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #63 of 73
I thought I was the only person on the planet who had ever used the AMT phones.
I had mine for about 3 years which equates to approximately 3000 hours of use, but I couldn't consider them to be a world beater - I never got used to the seriously strange overhang in the bass which clouded up the mid range and made listening to heavily orchestrated music or massed voices a trial.
Not long after I'd bought them a UK reviewer categorised them as "unpleasantly gong like" which I'd second completely.
Sorry, but for the price although they do some things extremely well I think they represent poor value for money and are not a serious high end phone,
especially if you are a classical music afficianado.
I only used them so much since having paid a bundle for them I wanted some return on my money.
The AMT amp does little for them either and is a non starter. The UK importer who sold me the phones initially, told me (off the record), not to bother with it and a short listen confirmed it to be a rather weedy affair.
By the way I also had the Jecklin Float electrostatics before the AMT phones but they spent more time in the repairers than in use.
Apologies for the negativity but these are my genuine subjective observations and I'm pleased to have moved on.

Sep 15, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #64 of 73
Jecklin Electrostatics
Pros: unbelievable dynamics, very long headphone cord.
Cons: laughably unattractive, seriously rolled off bass, quite bright.
Mine were fairly reliable except for
1. replacement of power switch on adapter
2. foams decomposing and needing replacement.
Both were done by Tivoli Hi Fi in Melbourne.
I sold mine and now have 3 Staxen (Omega 2, Lambda Nova Signature and Sigma). Any of these Staxen were better in all areas except dynamics.

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #65 of 73
I would absolutly LOVE to hear these, i have owned all of the oskar speakers, the kithara's being my current love affair. To hear this driver being used in a headphone must be amazing.

I couldnt talk my local dealer into getting a setup, he figured it would be too hard of a sell, i cant really blame him i guess. But if i were to get a set on my head, im sure there is a good chance they would be coming home with me.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #66 of 73
Insofar as the critism over my review is concerned, I readily recognise the "deficianecy" in the bass, I also recognise that these headphones may simply strike a resonant chrod with me and the way in which i like to hear sound. I however would say they are "world class" insofar as the term may be applied, IMHO, because i prefer them to both the HD650 and the HF-1. Although, they, while coming close in some senses, do not nearly match the O2.

You shoud expect another REDUX review of my position on the headphones next year.

Sep 16, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #67 of 73
Duggeh,
your review has to be the equivalent of Lord Of The Rings - a literary masterpiece!

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #68 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan
Duggeh,
your review has to be the equivalent of Lord Of The Rings - a literary masterpiece!

Or at least The Hobbit.
lambda.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #69 of 73
Farmer Ham of Bacon! -- no, no, sorry, haven't got that right yet. Let's see.. leaf by niggle.. carry the toe... um..

The Silmarilmoomintrollillion!

Couldn't be The Hobbit-- they all live in New Zealand. Don't they?

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
The Silmarilmoomintrollillion!

Does an all out war between the forces of AMT and electrodynamics break out, culminating in the musical gods returning to the earth to shatter the kingdom of sonic mediocrity? One can only hope...

Quote:

Couldn't be The Hobbit-- they all live in New Zealand. Don't they?

Nah, British actors come here to play them.

Doug, we're waiting!

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Tut tut, my dear Wualta. You should have practiced reticence, but now you're going to have to give us a full and in depth review.

Right then. Coming to a separate thread near you. Meanwhile, Duggeh, see if you can't snag one cheap; shake out a bit of that Caledonian eBay magic from your sporran. Preliminary results here at The Lab lead me to expect good results with the Ergo filter box (for that's what it truly be) and the AMTs. Have a good separate EQ unit waiting in the wings.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #72 of 73
Put my money down for a T-amp just tonight :s Also want to build a new magicbox using highest quality parts.

The scotsman will aye keep his eye on the eBhey tho. Basic EQ boxes seem to go for less than a tenner sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back