"The Equivalent of a Deep, Relaxed Sleep in Just 25 Minutes" BS or does it work?
Aug 19, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 27
i've used some self hypnosis CDs in the past and gotten pretty reasonable results. i'd be kind of wary of something that claims to be the exact equivalent of a full nights sleep in 25 minutes though. however, i wouldn't doubt it helps at least a little bit,

Aug 19, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

"The Equivalent of a Deep, Relaxed Sleep in Just 25 Minutes"

It's called a power nap. Drink a cup of decaff herbal tea, close the drapes, set your alarm for 20 to 45 minutes from now, lay down, close your eyes, and nap. Get up immediately after the alarm goes off and you should feel refreshed.

No gizmos needed.

Aug 19, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 27
when i power nap i usually put on headphones (big surprise eh?) or hold a book or something in my hand. no alarms needed. that way a part of my mind stays grounded in reality while the rest gets to refresh itself a little.

that's what works for me anyways.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
when i power nap i usually put on headphones (big surprise eh?) or hold a book or something in my hand. no alarms needed. that way a part of my mind stays grounded in reality while the rest gets to refresh itself a little.

that's what works for me anyways.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do the same thing. Strangely, the comfort of those huge CD3000's on my head keep me feeling so alive after the nap.
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 27
How about this link ? The free preview stream at the end of the page, is that what it sounds like? Cause if it's similar I could just record it with total recorder and burn it.

dj_digital

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 27
Ack. I just listened to a bit of the demo track, and it doesn't seem like it would work for me. Then again, maybe some people like having Dr. Larry whispering sweet hypnotic nothings in their ear. I'll stick with the old fashioned way of power napping, thanks!

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 27
Power naps are no joke and Sol_Zhen has it all right. No gimmicks, no necessary devices...just relax, close your eyes, clear your mind. First think of a dark place, just actually concentrate on the blackness of your closed eyes, clear your mind and make sure to get up between 20-30 minutes. After 45 minutes a full sleep cycle will commence (neurochems start leaking all over the place, adenosine is increasing to keep one asleep etc etc.) This works for me and permits me to function on 4 hours a night without problems, provided I take the 25 minute power nap at 2 pm or so. Works well in an office with a closed door
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 27
Who's to say I can't get deep, relaxed sleep in half an hour on my own? Power naps got me through my first year of college. A digital timer set for 40 minutes...I hate myself for five minutes after but I feel great for hours afterward.

Aug 20, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 27
This is very interesting. However I have problems just falling asleep. Normally it will take me an hour after laying down before I actually start sleeping. Any solution to this so I can power nap too?

Aug 20, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog5145
However I have problems just falling asleep.

What I do at times like that is learned from some of those self-hypnosis tapes. I just relax and visualize relaxation flowing into me and taking over my body bit by bit. I usually start at the feet and relax a part at a time. First feet, then lower legs, then upper legs, etc. It seems to work remarkably well for me, although the amount of time it takes can vary depending on how tensed up I am.

Aug 20, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by sephka
Are power naps generally considered better for you than naps that are a few hours long? Say between one and two hours?

I feel a LOT better after a power nap of less than an hour. I can wake up after an hour, but feel groggy though it shakes off after a bit. It's almost impossible for me to wake up after two hours of sleep and if I do I am so out of sync, I wish I hadn't! I am in the state where I walk into door frames and good stuff like that!

Aug 20, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by sephka
Are power naps generally considered better for you than naps that are a few hours long? Say between one and two hours?

It's not good to nap for more than 45 minutes. You just can't wake back up and be productive.

But, a 30 to 40 minute snooze (or al least rest with eyes shut) will leave you refreshed and ready to go. It's the best thing to do after work on a Friday before heading out for the evening.
smily_headphones1.gif
It goes like this: get home, snack, 30 minute nap, shower, dress, go out and have fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back