The equalizer of Foobar2000 and Winamp sux!
Dec 11, 2003 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
using my CD3000, i found that the equalizers of Foobar2000 and Winamp to be bad. try to compare "off" mode to flat -5db (and compensate with volume) and see how the quality gets screwed, espcially in the high frequencies. seems like the sound has been "swallowed". that meens that the base to the EQ settings we're going to make doesn't represent the real change that has to be made.

is there any equalizer for these softwares that doesn't screw up quality? (and least in the -5db range...)

not that i'm very fond of the idea of EQ's anymore, but i temporary need this because my SC ain't the most balanced thing on earth..

thanks!

Dec 11, 2003 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 6
Personally, I like and use Winamp 2.91 plus Ozone for Winamp ($29.00) from the developer iZotope. No doubt, it's a bit of a CPU hog though.

Head-Fi member gerG endorses BlueParamEQ, a component in the Blue-Line Plug-In-Pack ($35.00) from the software developer digilogue.de.

However, in order to run, this suite of apps does require a DirectX plug-in host. For example, I found Winamp 3.0D plus Adapt-X v3.6 ($19.00) by Chronotron worked well. Unfortunately, Winamp 2.91 plus Adapt-X v3.5 (freeware) had GUI display problems on my system.

Last time I checked, the above apps had time-limited demos available. IIRC, the Blue-Line Plug-In-Pack is actually honorware/donationware.

TravelLite

Dec 11, 2003 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 6
yes, i've tried the Blueparam, and it's quite limited EQ.

functionally, this is a killer EQ (absolutly the best i've tried).. but i can't check on that "-5db" issue, because the trial period is long gone for me.
Q10-Paragraphic EQ.
i want a decent freeware
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 6
I thought foobar's EQ was based off shibatchs. It may act the same.

Dec 10, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 6
This EQ was originally coded by one of the Lame project's most gifted programmers. Peter ported it after some interfacing problems. My understanding that is an accurate EQ may be old and I would love to hear what is thought to be wrong. The Lame programmer was working with the psychoacoustics aspects, among other things, well versed in required work with psychoacoustics.

Without further information to prove inferior performance. We should see if there is any credible complaints about the code and look at them for codecs.

On a side note, a wonder if there is and equivalent to the ADAPT-X pugin for Foobar. It would be most interesting to develop a few levels of evidence regarding the relative quality of these components.

Old thread but it seemed as good a spot as any to ask the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back