the end of winamp
Nov 11, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #16 of 41
Foobar2000 (Foobar or FB2K for short) is a light-weight audio player that is custamizable to no end (except it currently lacks a decent skinning system, but audio, not aesthetic appeal, is the main priority of it's developer(s?)). It is very popular among computer audio enthusiasts for it's high quality DSPs and wide range of output options.

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
BTW guys 2.91 isnt the last 2.9x its 2.95 thats the last

That was never an official release (it was more like an alpha version of 5.00 than a 2.9x release anyways).

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 41
I used to use Winamp 2.x, then when Winamp 3 came out I tried it, only to disappointed, went back to 2.x and then switched to foobar at some point.
But only a few month ago I tried Winamp 5 and have to say it seriously kicks ass. Have not looked back to foobar.
What I especially love is the ml_ipod plugin for Ipod support. Works fantastic. So much better than ITunes. Or foobar for that matter.

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #20 of 41
This really is a dark moment. With the exception of one fault that was, unfortunately, a dealbreaker for me (the lack of Unicode support, which rendered a large part of my library useless once I switched to tagging/naming files using it), Winamp (pre-3, and 5) really was the best digital music player for Windows - it was always at the forefront of supporting new formats, it was efficient, and the selection of skins and plugins is still unrivaled.

To this day, I still haven't found another player with which I was as completely satisfied as Winamp 2 back in the days. I use fb2k as my primary player, and iTunes as a database (and thinking about getting an AirPort Express to use the "Party Shuffle" feature in the living room), but there are still little issues which annoy me - I cannot recall a single instance of that with Winamp.

Nostalgia-induced selective forgetness? Maybe. Maybe not. All I know is, Winamp was a major part of my computing life for many years, and I'm sad to see its demise.

</eulogy>

~KS

Nov 11, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #21 of 41
It's not like you still won't be able to find it to download.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
I must agree Winamp 3 sucks, but I think Winamp 5 is really a very good player.
Must admit never tried foobar.

But it`s a shame if winamp dies....

The problem is exactly that. Winamp is a good player, however the new Skinning feature just adds to CPU overhead... "just to look pretty." I didn't like this very much. Winamp was ALWAYS my fav. becuase no matter what system I installed it in, it used minimal resources so even those with less immaculate computers could use it with ease, unlike its graphic hungry brothers ie. sonique, WMPlayer, and the like.

Nov 11, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #28 of 41
I knew MusicMatch was good for something. I considered switching to Winamp when MusicMatch went "bloated to hell", but got too lazy about it. I switched to Foobar about 6 months ago. I remember sleeping very well that night and never looked back. Foobar will probably be my default player till "kingdom come". I'm hooked.

Nov 12, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #29 of 41
I really use WinAMP because I love how I can make it sit at the top of the screen...easy access, that's the reason I've used it since my friend's dad showed it to me in 1995/6...
biggrin.gif
It owns. Please note that I have 12+ audio playback programs on my computer, and 3 versions of WinAMP...I definetely like it the best
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back