Mar 3, 2007 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

NiceCans

Headphoneus Supremus
On the front page of the
Radio Paradise
website is the news banner:
New Royalty Rates Set. Yikes!

Here is an excerpt:

The US Copyright Office has released their new set of rates for the payment of royalties by Internet Radio, and they ignored all of the facts presented by webcasters (including RP) and gave the record industry exactly what they asked for: royalty rates so high that they will put RP and every other independent webcaster out of business.

At the same time it seems that FM stations and radio conglomerates like Clear Channel pay nothing. On the other hand, in Radio Paradise's case, an amount equal to 125% of their income.

Fair?
Just?
In the Artist's interests? Really??

Most of the albums I have purchased over the past 3 years have been because I heard them on Radio Paradise.

And this is not the only station affected.
Check the website of your favorite Internet Radio Station, I bet they are of course equally affected.

It is indeed a sad day
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 20
yeah it seems like it will only lead to even more piracy. People seem to not care about steeling from people whom they find despicable. I, over the past few years have indeed found the major record companies actions to be just that.

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 20
This is indeed really sad. I'm probably going to have to subscribe to Naxos radio for my classical music listening at work, even though the quality there is not even close to streaming stations like 1.fm.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 20
I mainly listen to stuff on shoutcast.com or di.fm, if I listen to streaming music.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mainly listen to stuff on shoutcast.com or di.fm, if I listen to streaming music.

They will also be affected: they STREAM music.

This article explains the problem very well: Save Internet Radio

Here is another: "Webcast royalty rate decision announced"

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 20
This is indeed dreary news, me and a lot of people i know have discovered a lot of new music using Last.fm and Pandora... this has lead to me buying a lot of new CD's!
And I'm sure that's not just me, so why would they do such a thing; it's rather bad for the artists!

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 20
And yet the music industry will continue to p*ss and moan about plummeting music sales. I can't tell you how many albums I've purchased because I heard a track on streaming radio. It's more than a few, a lot more.

Good ol' fashioned greed, music fan, good ol' fashioned greed...

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 20
might as well plug some of my favorites in, aside from Pandora...

i do enjoy the Vault Radio every once in a while. there's some real gems of classic rock there... i suggest y'all register and listen to the Lighthouse concert. the two instrumentals are out of this world... and the David Bowie concerts are amazing, too.

SR Mozart is a stream of 400 rotated Mozart pieces. it's my sleeping music, and i love it!

so yeah, at least i have my Swedish Mozart station. sometimes capitalism/the government can be a bitch, yaknow? we need a nice hippie president for a change, to make sure RIAA and all of the record labels are homeless by the time he's done with them. ok, maybe not take it THAT far... still, i'm sick and tired of stuff like this.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #11 of 20
The American music industry is a big pile of hot steamy cow ****.

They better not bitch about piracy when they even go after things that will INCREASE sales.

But I wouldn't worry too much about all US net radio stations going under. There will always be pirates and the net is too big.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
might as well plug some of my favorites in, aside from Pandora...

i do enjoy the Vault Radio every once in a while. there's some real gems of classic rock there... i suggest y'all register and listen to the Lighthouse concert. the two instrumentals are out of this world... and the David Bowie concerts are amazing, too.

Awesome!!! Just incredible recommendation. Its 1 AM and Im sitting here groovin to an old Big Country concert.

Thanks!!
Garrett

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 20
I listen to somafm a lot.
Like others have said, it's introduced me to many great artists I never would have found otherwise.

Hopefully, stations that can't operate with the increases will migrate and continue on. Sad that it would come to that.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back