The end of Headwize?
Jun 3, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 54
I still have no clue why Chu didn't want to merge with HeadFi... can't the documents be stored somewhere on this site?

Jun 3, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 54
That really sucks.
frown.gif

SOMEONE must backup all the valuable information on that site!

Jun 3, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 54
From CMoy's post on Headwize:

I will be busy this week transferring the articles and other site contents to the forums server (which is different from the headwize.com server). The only problem is the URL, which I cannot update at the moment. Users going to headwize.com will get blank screen. They will need to go to headwize.powerpill.org.

Jun 3, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 54
AGH! Guys, someone, we NEED to get the info on headwize archived! NEED TO. I'm willing to do it. If chu could get me the archive on cds, I would be willing to distribute it. . .

Jun 3, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 54
Chu has repeatedly stated that he will not allow any HeadWize content to be hosted on, or affiliated with, any site that has "commercial" content. Because Head-Fi utilizes sponsorship to ensure that the forums are self-sustaining, Chu does not want Head-Fi to act as a host for the HeadWize archives.

Jun 3, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 54
right...and now he's going under and taking his library with him. c'mon, we don't even have banners around here, just a couple of links to folks that were already active in the community when Headwize was active. *sigh*

dropping that old discussion tho, someone needs to secure the info!

Jun 3, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 54
The only thing of value at Headwize is the archives (OK and the articles to a lesser extent). Headwize died the moment the vastly superior Head-Fi opened. I myself haven't bothered to look there in months.

At this stage, Chu would be selfish not to hand over our posts (it is us, the headphone community who frankly MADE Headwize) to Head-Fi so they could be somehow archived here and accessible via Head-Fi's search function.

Due to his obstinance, which some insist on romanticizing, Headwize was driven into the ground and made useless. I know all this sounds harsh, but these are my honest feelings.

R.I.P. Headwize.

markl

Jun 4, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 54
Hmm. HeadWize definitely has some information it'd be sad to lose. Unfortunately I'm no longer on a high-speed connection, or I'd rip the whole site.

If anyone wants to, you can use a site ripping tool like BlackWidow from Softbyte Labs to jack the whole site, forums, links, pictures and all. Then tarball it or something and throw it on a CD.

If no one else is up for it, I might be able to do it from work.

kerelybonto

Jun 4, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 54
Awww...man...I love headwize. CMOY should archive all of his stuff onto cd's. Heck, he could even sell these CD's to support his site.

Jun 4, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 54
But on the other hand, I think the archives are waaay over rated. First, there is a wealth of great info right here at Head-Fi, and second, there is such a thing as information overload. Eventually you'll just have to vote with your wallet, rather than your keyboard.

Jun 4, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 54
Surely one of you guys who runs one of those "how to build DIY cables" or "tweaks and voodoo" type pages can step up to the plate and do some more hosting.

I do understand CMoy's viewpoint on sponsorship. I too have been on the internet since before it was a business and sometimes miss the days of being able to surf for information and not be overloaded with images and spam. I know his views may be impractical but I respect them. I don't think respecting his wishes is anti-HeadFi. They are simply two very different models. I hope to see HeadFi thrive as a business. I only hope HeadWize may survive as a hobbyist source of information.

The information is too interesting and useful to see it vanish. If anyone can host, please do what you can to help Chu preserve the work.

As to the forum aspect of it all, HeadFi probably is the better place to host that on an ongoing basis, despite my everpresent issues with some of the policy here. I'm not asking anyone to take on the incredible burden of running the forums going forward. I'm only hopeful that someone can spare the bandwidth to host the current files without needing commercial backing.

Jun 4, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
They are simply two very different models. I hope to see HeadFi thrive as a business. I only hope HeadWize may survive as a hobbyist source of information.

I think you may be off the mark if you believe that head-fi is a business. To me, that implies that Jude is attempting to make money from selling company sponsorships. He has already gone on record saying that hosting this site costs him several hundred dollars a month despite the ad revenue, hardly a successfull business model. None of his posts about the subject lead me to believe that this site is intended to be anything other than a hobby for him and a pasttime for us.

If I read my headwize/head-fi history correctly, head-fi came into being because headwize had a major site crash and was down for several days or weeks, and Jude initiated head-fi so that headwizer's could continue to have a place to discuss headphones, etc. Over the months, the two sites developed different identities, and more people chose to post here than there.

cmoy's announcement did not indicate he had lost interest or was otherwise giving up on the site, simply that he doesn't have enough bread to pay for server space at this time. The announcement does indicate it is likely he will move the content to donated server space, but that we will not have access to the info for the time being.

Be thee not paranoid and declare headwize dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back