The EMU 0404 isn't likely BETTER than the Terratec EWX 24/96, right?
Feb 14, 2005 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
Because I have a chance to trade my Terratec for an E-MU.

But I really like my Terratec and it works perfectly fine with everything.

Only a jump in audio quality would justify the trade.

Thanks

Feb 14, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer
Because I have a chance to trade my Terratec for an E-MU.

But I really like my Terratec and it works perfectly fine with everything.

Only a jump in audio quality would justify the trade.

Thanks

Well, just by SNR (also approx. equal to dynamic range), the Terratec has around 100dB, and the EMU has 116dB. I'd say that should definitely be audible in some way shape or form
wink.gif

disclaimer: I've heard neither myself.

Feb 14, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 10
How do you connect the output of the 0404 to an amplifier?

Also, if those cables break (breakout cables that have the outputs in them), are they easily replaceable?

Thanks for the advice!

Feb 14, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymer
How do you connect the output of the 0404 to an amplifier?

Also, if those cables break (breakout cables that have the outputs in them), are they easily replaceable?

Thanks for the advice!

You can buy third party cables for the E-MU 0404 that simply has a pair of RCA/Phono plugs on the end of them, some people around here managed to make one of their own using a standard 9 pin plug connected to a pair of good quality RCA leads.

Feb 14, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 10
you connect the analog mono 1/4 outs to either a rat shack 1/4 to rca adapter, or just get an interconnect with 1/4 on one end and rca on the other. that's it! if your breakout cable dies, you can replace it with an even better cable from fiddler audio for under 30 bucks.

as for the sound, i love my 0404, but if you have no probs with your current soundcard and dont think you're missing much, don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 10
The pinout on the db9 connector of the 0404's breakout cable is not difficult. There is a post about how to make your own breakout cable.

Here's a 0404 db9 -> RCA breakout cable that terrymx made for me. 5.5' of Canare StarQuad cable covered with TechFlex, Canare RCA's, one Canare 1/8 inline input on a 5' run. Very nice quality and affordable.

0404db9-terrymx.jpg

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 10
I would add that the EWX appears to be a slightly more stable card than the EMU. My mate has a couple of smallish "issues" with it that involve reloading patchmix, and I have heard of people who have had issues with games with it, although 90%+ are probably fine... I havent had any issues yet, but I am no hardcore gamer.

One other peculiar thing I noticed is that in Foobar 2000, when using Kernel Streaming, it would give errors and fail to play if the sample rate was anything other than 44.1 KHz. I managed to get around that by using an ASIO plugin for Foobar.

If you value stability more than anything, the Terratec is a better card for you, but the EMU does sound better.

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 10
Depends on who you ask but i'm my opinion, your headphones / Amp(if you have one) and quality of music being played back have a much bigger impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back