the electrostat appreciation thread
Jan 15, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #136 of 166
Older Stax phones and older stats in general are more forgiving of their signal path then the newer brethren. This is caused by a number of things, bad wiring, muffled back wave that makes them sound warmer then the really are and last but least some very bad engineering of the housings and earpads. I love the older stat sound but it is far from neutral (what ever that is).

The transformers are also very colored so they mask the driving amps flaws but using the SRM-313 as a reference to all direct drive amps isn't fair. I never listen to mine any more because the T1 eats it alive so it's only used for bias duty's. It's bright, shrill and not nearly dynamic enough while any transformer driven from an able amp will have none of those traits and a lot more dynamics.

Jan 17, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #139 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive seen those before in the web, and I'm still drooling...

Yeah, they sure look great!
Especially as their design blends in with (almost) EVERY room.
Be it classical or modern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some day...If I get the room for them and the WAF is good enough...

blink.gif
I can tell that you haven't let your wife look at the Final website!
wink.gif

If you had, she'd have fallen for either the Model 90i wall or stand mounts,
or, more probable, their 600i panels.

I almost feel pathatic with my black sock covered Maggies.
rolleyes.gif

(but that's a little lie
icon10.gif
)

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #140 of 166
Don't worry, I like the looks of Maggies more! If I were to choose between a pair of 20.1 and 1000i purely based on looks, I'd go for the 20.1
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #142 of 166
Feb 1, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #143 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The phones are about a third lighter now but they are still way to heavy. Add that to the skull crushing headband and they wont be used much.

They're really not all that bad sounding. The highs are very soft and the midrange is shouty and thin. The bass has a decent slam and extension but it's the detail retrieval that really the weak point but as a first try for Koss into the electrostatic arena it's not bad.

I still have a pair of ESP-6A that I bought in 1973
smily_headphones1.gif
That and a pair of factory FR plots (the second after repairs from a leaky liquid earcushion), T-3 adapter, manuals, and foam lined carrying case. They weigh a whopping 27 ounces. The 'A' model improved on the original 6 with better frequency response and overall presentation balance.

Ironically I pulled them out tonight and have been running them through my vintage Headroom Supreme amp. This prompted after reading an interesting Jan '07 ESP-6A thread on the Audio Asylum (http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...tage&m=138956). I had forgotten really how nice stats sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
So much so that they have yet again renewed my interest in acquiring a more lightweight set of electrostatic cans. This probably over the Ultrasones I've been flirting with recently. We'll see.....

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #144 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, I like the looks of Maggies more! If I were to choose between a pair of 20.1 and 1000i purely based on looks, I'd go for the 20.1
tongue.gif

The 20.1s make me weak in the knees... all I need is a single thought about a pair of those tri-amped with a pair of Pass XVR1 crossovers using a pair of X350.5s on top and middle, with a pair of X600.5s monoblocks on the bottom, and I can almost rationalize selling everything I own and raiding my retirement funds...

edit: oh s***, I just did the maths on that and it's $61,500USD before cables... a X0.2 preamp brings it up a further $10k. *siiiiiiiiigh*

I've already got the only DAC Pass has ever made (which retailed at a ridiculous $5k!), so I'd just need a suitably expensive transport to go with all of this - a CEC TL-0 X would likely do the trick, at just under $20k.

I do suspect with the stupid Magnepan stock crossover out of the way, this setup would pretty much smoke anything...

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #145 of 166
20.1s are a bit out of reach for me too. Thankfully I find my modded MGIIIAs to take care of my needs
smily_headphones1.gif

livingrm_1.JPG

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #146 of 166
Same here Bob, though mine are naked and not looking near as pretty
biggrin.gif

Mine have to make do with a single X250.5, despite its modifications the crossover is definitiely the weakness at this point. I do have fantasies of going for a Bryston 10B x-over and a pair of older 7B ST monoblocks for the bottom end... I've also gotta say with the X250.5 I have NO desire for a sub... Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here use Perreaux or Plinius electronics to feed their Staxen?

I've never been fortunate enough to hear Plinius gear but the designs look like they'll sound awesome...

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #147 of 166
Bob. Just one more time. ..|.. ..|.. ..|..

(back to appreciating the tiny sr-003)

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #148 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob A (SD) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have a pair of ESP-6A that I bought in 1973
smily_headphones1.gif
That and a pair of factory FR plots (the second after repairs from a leaky liquid earcushion), T-3 adapter, manuals, and foam lined carrying case. They weigh a whopping 27 ounces. The 'A' model improved on the original 6 with better frequency response and overall presentation balance.

Ironically I pulled them out tonight and have been running them through my vintage Headroom Supreme amp. This prompted after reading an interesting Jan '07 ESP-6A thread on the Audio Asylum (http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...tage&m=138956). I had forgotten really how nice stats sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
So much so that they have yet again renewed my interest in acquiring a more lightweight set of electrostatic cans. This probably over the Ultrasones I've been flirting with recently. We'll see.....

Very cool!!
smily_headphones1.gif
It's interesting to see how different Stax and Koss were doing the electrostatic thing. In 1969 stax was on their third generation with better sonics, build and comfort and while Koss was making 6's. I'm trying to figure out how to extent the headband on these but it looks like it wont be easy. I think they might end up with a Lambda headband if it will fit.
lambda.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #150 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by budburma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can any one tell me how long the cables on the stax sr303 cans as part of the 3030 system are? thanks!

6 feetish. Long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back