The ELECTRONIC music headphones
May 5, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #16 of 31
The Senns and the Beyers are diffusefield equalized, so they have a 3D soundstage which would be good for panning effects and the like.
What the 880 makes superior to the Senns (No offence to the Sennheiser Fanboys) is that they don't have this 4 kHz hole that is responsible for the typical dark Sennheiser sound. The also go a bit deeper and higher in the frequency range (5 Hz - 41 kHz instead of 10 Hz - 39,5 kHz). I think that is why you don't see Sennheisers in recording studios.
graphCompare.php

For listening Autechre I prefer the DT 990 or the DJX-1, it sounds terrible with the K 501 and not very good with the K 340, as bass is an important part of their music. For more organic and bassless stuff like Tangerine Dream I prefer the AKGs instead. So maybe the DT 880 are a wise choice. But then maybe even some cheapish Behringer Headphones like the HPS3000 would do (Ok, 20 Hz - 20 kHz isn't that impressive, but most of us don't have a better hearing than that and there are usually high and low pass filters that limit the music in the CD mastering process to that range anyway).

May 5, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #18 of 31
I currently have only Audigy 2 sound card (I know I must sound funny after all this stories) but my plans for the future are either EMU 1820 or some Lynx cards... or if something better comes on the market in near future.

I have also Bheringer 5 channel analog mixer and Shure BG condenser microphone. In the future I will use audio interface to plug my phones but now I can do it either directly, using sound card inputs or via mixete. I guess that 250Ohm fact can be disturbing for me now, isnt it.

So, is amp must for me now or no?

I am checking all other things U recommended... thanks

I dont know if this is going to tell you something, but my favorit electronic music is:
Autechre, Susumu Yakota, Brothomstates, Deru, Cinematic Orchestra, Murkof, Rachenchentrum.... that is also something I am making...

May 5, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 31
I wouldn't worry much about the 250 Ohm. My DT 990 Pro are also 250 Ohm. My iBook and my now dead PC (with VIA onboard sound) have no problem driving them, also your mixer shouldn't have a problem as well, as studioheadphones had for a long time an impedance of 600 Ohm.

I don't know any of the other bands you mentioned, but if they sound like autechre, then I'm sure I will spend a lot of money on new CDs soon
eggosmile.gif

May 5, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #20 of 31
EBM:

I just found sad news. I cant buy it in Wiena because they dont have it here. They are only avaiable over internet for 200E price but Ill be gone thill that time. 990 PRO are avaible. Did you used them ? Is there big difference bitween them and 880 PRO?

I think Ill by AKG 501. Found them for 140E

It has nice flat freq response:
http://www.headphone.com/graphs/show...php?graphID=39

About Music:
Not all sound like Autechre but I recommend them all.
But if you want Autechre like sound try this:

Brothomstates
(his best album, IMO, is free one, avaiable over net and its name is Kobn-tich-eu)
Deru (USA, this is mix of A. Twin, Autechre, and something very new, highly recommended)
Rechenchetrum (I guess U heard for this one, because its from your country)

If you like ambiental electronic music than try this:
Vladislav Delay, Yagia (the rhythm of snow album, excellent) and Susumu Yakota (this one has some sheety house also so make sure that you listen before buy because his ambiental works are excellent)

and finally try this electro dub (it is electronica to some)
Pole, System (Germany), Thomas Jirku (try this one for deep deep electronic dub)...

If you are interested to know more, just let me know, I heard them all
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #21 of 31
I nearly use the DT 990 Pro all the time, I'm somewhat addicted to it's sound. I like the DJX-1 sonically even more, but it's very uncomfortable. The Stax are the finest for Classical and Jazz, and I really love them, but for the electronical dance stuff (Nitzer Ebb or Front242 like) that I listen most of the time they lack the bass that this music needs (even that it is not that bass heavy). So I nearly always grab the DT 990...

To me the DT 990 are like the DT 880, just with the right amount of bass (for me). The problem with the DT 880 is that they come with this nice metal suitcase (like other highend cans that also have such goodies), which makes it kinda expensive compared to it's sisters (DT 770 and DT 990) that come without this stuff. Maybe used buy is an option if you really after this headphone. If you don't like the strong bass of the DT 770 / 990 then maybe DT 931 is another option. It is more emphasised on trebble and I've read a lot good things about this headphone from people that love to hear details in the music.

The K 501 is anything but flat. It has the typical AKG rolled off bass and trebble. I really love it for strings, accoustical guitars, analogue synthesizers, male and female voices, but for Autechre it simple doesn't sound right. I tried it with Basscadet from Inculabula yesterday, and the drums just sound distant from the rest of the music. The K 501 beats the Beyers with it's quickness which is nearly electrostatic like, but it has the typical headphone soundstage. So the sound is just left of your left ear, right of your right ear or in your head, not 3D around your head like with the Senns or Beyers. The only AKG that is diffusefield equalized is the K 240 DF, which is an old 600 Ohm design and that would be probbably a bit too silent from your soundcard. If your music mainly consists of midrange notes and you only want to do simple left/right panning effects, then the K 501 is a good choice, because at its price level it is hard to find a better can.

Thanks for the recommended bands, I'll to listen to them and see what I like.

May 6, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #22 of 31
I'd go with the DT 770/80.

I bought them specifically for hiphop/house/drum and bass etc. and they are absolutely perfect. They were a bit shrill to start off with but after a week or two of listening burn in they continued to improve substantially.

I'm worried about trying other headphones now since most consider these the be all to end all with bass. They really don't have an overwhelming amount of bass to me so most others I assume might sound bass deficient.

Maybe I'm just a subwoofer's ancestor.

May 7, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #23 of 31
hey there, was wondering where u got the dt770-80's frm. i'm told they're alot cheaper in the u.s than they are here in aus. do you know any links where i can get them for the apparent 150usd? i can't seem to find them on guitarcentre.

thanx

May 7, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #24 of 31
hei there

Try this ultimate site in .au for price comparison:

http://www.geizhals.at/

Just do search.

Also, I was using Google with searches like

site:au "model name"
example: site:au "DT 880"

the " simbol is must (phrase search)

I dont know where I found which one for what price I just found in history this one

Beyer Dynamic DT-990 Pro 139E
http://www.preissuchmaschine.at/product_311271.html
http://www.klangfarbe.at/shop/artikel/E18320.html

if you have any problems contact me, I am in Vienna til Monday, 7 PM.

bue

May 7, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcadian_soul
hey there, was wondering where u got the dt770-80's frm. i'm told they're alot cheaper in the u.s than they are here in aus. do you know any links where i can get them for the apparent 150usd? i can't seem to find them on guitarcentre.

thanx

There's people that have claimed to have snagged them for $150 from Guitar Center but IMO for that to occur you're going to have to A) shop in person and B) find them at a store with more than one pair in stock.

I went to the local GC about two months ago, prior to purchasing the DT 770's from B&H, and not only did they not have any in stock but they had never carried them before. They said they were "in the system" but that if they were to order me a pair I would have to pay retail.

Now that I've had them for awhile I can honestly say the extra $50 I may or may not have spent was well worth it. They're perfect for my tastes and I don't suspect I'll ever sell them...just add more to the collection.

May 8, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #26 of 31
hey thx moth for the search advice. have found them in aus for 319aud. not 80ohm version but am asking them about it. never knew i could search like that. thanx

regarding guitar centre and b&h, who are b&h?

May 8, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #27 of 31
May 10, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #28 of 31
yea i've seen headphones.com.au doin them for that price. brisbane sound group for 319. but that vs 150usd? not much of a competition... even at 200usd it's still 260ish aud.

where'd u get ur pair of dt 770-80 for eitook?

May 10, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Back