The Electric Guitar & Male Voice - Is this Low, Mid or High Frequency?
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Michael172

100+ Head-Fier
I'm serious here, I'm trying to determine which IEM's would suite my musical tastes (Thrash Metal) from IEM reviews.

I know that, ultimately, its me that has to shortlist from the 100's of IEM's available rather than asking in the forums.

What I really want to know is what I might need to look for in terms of sound definition (forward Mids, Extended Highs etc) so I'm hoping some of you can come up with some suggestions, please, before I make another really expensive mistake.

What I'm after:

In my music, the male singers voice and the electric guitar (ranges between a low tone and a higher sounding one; think low Korn guitars to higher sounding Guns 'n Roses stuff) are the two things I listen for most. For drums and bass guitars, I like punchy bass but I detest it when its overpowering and overpowers the singer and the guitarists.

I owned an RE262 before it broke and loved it, but there was very very little bass (might not have been a bad thing!) yet it seemed to cope really well with fast thrash metal. Currently I do not like the UM3X which I own now as the bass is often overpowering and the singers and guitarists seem like they have been pushed to the back of the stage. Ive seen the description of a blanket being put over the singer and guitarists and I think that sums it up well for the UM3X. Drums in the UM3X do however sound great. I think its just the bass guitar can really mess things up with that IEM, making the music sound like a big soup and I cant tell whats going on.

Please give me some idea of terminology which I might be seeking!

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Excluding some "bass" instruments which can go down to about 30Hz and some high-pitched percussive instruments (cymbals, etc.), almost everything used in music produces base tones in the 100Hz - 1kHz range. Most people consider this "midrange" so pretty much everything ends up with a "midrange" label in reviews.

However, all voices and instruments also produce lots of harmonics (tones at 2x, 3x, 4x, ... the base frequency) which give them their distinct "colors" and which easily extend into several-kHz range.

Example: human (female) voice, fundamental tone at 500Hz

If these guys are right, UM3X has a huge 100-500Hz hump. This attenuates most harmonics of voices and guitars making them sound unrealistic and quieter than bass guitars or drums.

Basically, you should look for headphones with relatively flat frequency response. IMO some amount of bass boost doesn't sound particularly bad with metal, but only up to 100-150Hz. This still brings up kick drums and bass guitars, but without messing up everything else.

Also, be careful with headphones with "big soundstage". This usually means exaggerated treble and makes many metal recordings sound awful because distorted guitars already have lots of treble.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Brilliant thanks for the response. Dont suppose you know how a 1964Ears V6 might be for that kind of music then?

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 10
Looking at the RE262's frequency response, that has a fairly flat frequency. Maybe that's why I liked them so much so I guess you're right! I guess Ill try find a set of CIEMs that have a similar response.

UM3X's Freq: (I get the impression the green line is what I should be looking for).

RE262 Freq:

(PDF File I will give link)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANRE262.pdf

Production 1964:

I know these should be taken with a pinch of salt but they might give me a rough idea of what they sound like. The V6's seem to have that spike over and done with by 200 Hz, but then theres a dip right in the mid range and I dont know how that will sound?

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Alclair reference monitor have good soundstage, warmer than neutral bass  but not hugely boosted, great clarity and works well with metal and any genre at that. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Alclair reference monitor have good soundstage, warmer than neutral bass  but not hugely boosted, great clarity and works well with metal and any genre at that. 

Looked at those and someone said the same thing. Unfortunately I cant find it in the UK otherwise they would have been on my list.

Im limited to any of these in the UK really.

http://www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk/index.php

Unique Melody Mage look good frequency I think. maybe.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 10
Ah Europe buyer, cosmic ears BA4 should suit you from the contact I've had with them. I'm hopefully going to review them at some point.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks randomkid, I will look into those also.

I was looking at Unique Melody too.

Marvel is the cheapest with dual drivers but that curve might be OK? Why is it higher than the others also?

Considering the mage as well but theres a bass hump again which could annoy me. They describe the mage being foussed around mids.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 10
I don't like going with the big companies a lot, I think you pay too much of a premium for the name, I usually like the underdogs as they usually have better price/quality ratio, I would seriously think about the BA4 from cosmic ears, they are supposed to be the most neutral model from them, whilst still being smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back