The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Jul 3, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #61 of 803
Quote:
For the modders and DIY'ers, if your AKG K240 pleather ear pads are old and flat, it IS possible to bring them back to life.
If you're a stingy modder like me and have too much free time, it's certainly worth grabbing a few albums to listen to while doing this 'repair/mod'.

I just added a 2nd layer of foam. Simple. The hardest part is stitching it back together which took about 2 and a half albums. 
Neither earpad came out looking good as new, but they feel fine and the baffles don't touch my ears any longer. 

Nice work!

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #62 of 803
PurpleAngel thanx
beerchug.gif
 for the thread.

It's good to have all the ear-pad related stuff in one place.
Nonetheless, there's no way I could perform those tricks descibed here.
I would simply destroy
tongue_smile.gif
 my headphones (DT 880 or HD 595).

P.S.
I've edited this post because of an ugly typo.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #63 of 803
Any better earpads for JVC HA-RX700 ?

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #64 of 803
J$ pads on my HE-6.  Luckily I have a handy gf who was able to modify the pads with the screen protector from the HiFiMan pleather pads.  Sounds better with the screen, too!!

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #65 of 803
I wonder but is it possible to put HD202/212/203 earpads on momentums? there seems to be more room inside the earpad though it is not as deep.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #66 of 803
I received a bonus pair of pads in a box from another Head-Fier and I am thinking they are possibly ATH-M50 stock pads.

They fit the TBSE1's but a tad bigger, the back part that slides into the groove is fairly wide and has this stitching like look to the edge. The cloth that covers the driver is really thick, like sock material as opposed to a sheer nylon like other pads have.

Sound familiar to anyone, I can take a pic later if needed.

Thanks!
Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #67 of 803
Also these pads are round and I believe the M50's are oval yes?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #69 of 803
Quote:
Does anyone know if TH600 pads will fit on a D7000? They seem to look like a perfect match but I've yet to read anything indicating whether or not this is true. Thanks.

Should fit perfectly.  D2000, D5000, D7000, TH600, and TH900 are all basically the same frame and cup design.  I haven't seen the TH600's in person, but the TH900 pads were thinner and flatter than (though softer) than the Denon's.  Not sure if that matters to you.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #70 of 803
Pioneer SE-A1000 and AKG K340 pads are interchangable.

Shure SRH840/940 pads fit on the entire ATH-T series. Makes the T400/T500 sound brilliant in comparison to the stock pads. Note that while they have 53mm drivers, the cups themselves are pretty much the same size as Shure.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #71 of 803
Great thread. I've been discovering the huge impact that pads have on headphones over the years. I'll record my findings here.

Grado:
If you find bowls excessively bright and uncomfortable try sennheiser px100 pads under the bowls. This combo yields the absolute best sound of all pads I've tried (not tried gs1000 pads). It increases comfort as well.

AKG:
The 701/2 sounds far better with 601 pads (and vice versa). 702 has deeper bass and more midbass. Mids are less recessed. More tonal balance overall. 601 w/ 702 pads gets rid of congestion and stuffiness. More open soundstage. Very balanced sound and inmany ways preferable to the 702.

The k240 Sextett MP sounds good with the cheap pleather k240 pads you can find on ebay for ~$10. They don't seal as well as the vintage soft leather-like akg pads but it helps to create a more balanced sound. The vintage soft pads seal and create extra bass.

The k240 monitor does well with the vintage soft leather-like k240 pads. The monitor is more neutral by default but could use a bit of help in the bass department. These pads help. Also the k240m and k240s were designed for use with a foam disc under the pad. They will sound thin and bright without it.

The k240 studio is absolutely transformed with the shure srh840 pads. Install these pads by themselves (no foam disc needed) and it is an immense improvement. Originally these phones are fairly dull and flat with a bump in midbass. With the 840 pads, the midbass hump is gone, bass extends deeper, mids are brought forward and treble is extended yet smooth. It's almost perfect and considering the total price of headphones + pads it's the best bang for the buck I've ever heard. They are also much more comfortable. Those shure pads are a bargain for their quality level.

The k141 (first edition silver) is a tricky headphone to match with pads. The best to date I've tried is shure 750 pads. They are a tight fit but it works. They make the k141 a circum-aural headphone. You get the typical advantages of this type of headphone. Despite having the same drivers as the sextett these headphones always sound bright. Perhaps a foam disc+shure 750 pads would be a winner. Haven't tried it yet.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #72 of 803
Quote:
The k141 (first edition silver) is a tricky headphone to match with pads. The best to date I've tried is shure 750 pads. They are a tight fit but it works. They make the k141 a circum-aural headphone. You get the typical advantages of this type of headphone. Despite having the same drivers as the sextett these headphones always sound bright. Perhaps a foam disc+shure 750 pads would be a winner. Haven't tried it yet.

I made some DIY leather pads for my original K141 (still on-ear by tearing off the completely worn down velour and simply adding the leather with new foam), and the sound is definitely on the darker bassier side of neutral, and I didn't lose ANY of the midrange lushness. 

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #73 of 803
GREAT thread.

The Beyerdynamic ear-pads fit the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros well, but a little stretching is required. The pair I ordered came with a foam/cloth pad to go between the headphones and ears, addressing a concern I saw in another post about having to add fabric.

After wearing the HD280 Pros with the DT250 pads for a few hours continuously, I've found one draw back. The DT250 pads are thinner than the HD 280 pads so the speaker does touch my ear. I'm considering adding a layer of foam between the ear pads and the head-phones to give a bit more space, but I'm not yet sure it is worth the effort.

As for compromising the sound, I can't compare side-by-side. I did the mod when the original pads had started to fall apart and I threw them away before I considered doing a comparison.  That being said, if there is a difference, it is fairly minimal. I've read of a "blu-tack" mod for the Hd 280 Pros that apparently add bass, so if loss of bass with the pad-mod is an issue that bothers me, I'll give that a shot.

Oh, and while I like good sound, I do not think I have the sensitivity to be an audiophile.  So take my input with that in mind.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #74 of 803
Quote:
Great thread. I've been discovering the huge impact that pads have on headphones over the years. I'll record my findings here.

Grado:
If you find bowls excessively bright and uncomfortable try sennheiser px100 pads under the bowls. This combo yields the absolute best sound of all pads I've tried (not tried gs1000 pads). It increases comfort as well.

AKG:
The 701/2 sounds far better with 601 pads (and vice versa). 702 has deeper bass and more midbass. Mids are less recessed. More tonal balance overall. 601 w/ 702 pads gets rid of congestion and stuffiness. More open soundstage. Very balanced sound and inmany ways preferable to the 702.

Oh wow.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #75 of 803
Great thread.

Mr Speakers Alpha pads may be the most comfy and versatile pad I've seen. I'm using them on all the following - Denon D2000, M-Audio Q40, Ultrasone Pro900 (took some modding), and Darth Beyers (basically a Beyerdynamic DT770).

I've put Shure 840, HiFiMan pleather, Beyer black and clear gel pads, Beyer velour, stock D7000 on the Q40. All fit well, but the leather variants all helped these basshead phones sing. Alphas made this phone amazing tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back