The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Dec 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #17 of 803
Quote:
Another quick question: Are these Valour earpads, or some cheap knockoff? The description says "pleather" but I find that hard to believe. 

They are not pleather (fake leather), those appear to be velvet ear pads, guess they sell for around a pair $15, less then half the price of Velour ear pads.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #18 of 803
umm what's the difference between velour and velvet?

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #19 of 803
Quote:

Velvet is woven, Velour is knitted.
I'm guessing Velour is preferred for ear pads over Velvet, but Velvet ear pads sell for less then half the price of Velour ear pads.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #20 of 803

What PA said. That said, "pleather" and "velour" are used to describe a huge range of materials that are actually neither. And we aren't even getting into that leather comes in grades and types and so on.

Generally fabric pads ("velour") mean less isolation, but also less sweat/sticking (like fabric interiors in cars vs leather/vinyl). Sealed pads (leather, pleather, vinyl, etc) will offer better isolation and a better seal, at the expense of some comfort (depending on the material - genuine leather will actually breathe, but genuine leather is fairly rare for headphones). Generally changing from one to another (or even changing pad shape) will ensure a change in overall sound, as earpads make a fairly large impact on sound.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 803
I want to draw your attention to the price of one earpad for the K701 ($35)
and for the  K702 ($40). So one pair of earpads costs $70 for the K701 and
$80 for the K702.
I can't believe this. Are these the most expensive earpads ever?

P.S.
(From the previous thread.)

Quote:
By the way, I've read  on this site that a pair of earpads for AKG K701 or K702 or Q701
(are they the same?) costs $70, if I remember correctly.
If it's true it's a crime.

Yes that's roughly accurate - they're around $35/ea for the K701, and $40/ea for the 702. That's actually fairly in-line with most headphones' replacement earpads, Koss and Grado excepted.

Edited by obobskivich - 12/4/12 at 11:16am

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 803
Quote:
Yes that's roughly accurate - they're around $35/ea for the K701, and $40/ea for the 702. That's actually fairly in-line with most headphones' replacement earpads, Koss and Grado excepted.

Edited by obobskivich - 12/4/12 at 11:16am

On that note, if you can find the rough size (width x height) of the base of your earphones, you can buy any pads that are roughly the same size. Earpads are made to stretch to begin with, (Even videos from the manufactures say to stretch beforehand) and with a little luck, you can find some inexpensive pads for your nice cans.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #23 of 803
"...the price of one earpad for the K701 ($35) and for the  K702 ($40). So one pair of earpads costs $70 for the K701 and $80 for the K702.
I can't believe this. Are these the most expensive earpads ever?"

Anyone know how much Ultrasone Ed.8 ear pads are?
tongue_smile.gif

On a more serious note, whatever the Ed8's cost is, it comes from stitching that leather - marketing fluff or not just think of it as how much it would cost if you nicked the seat on a Jaguar vs a Honda. For the K701/2, it may be because of the shape - it's thicker on one side than the other. AKG relies on the pads to angle the drivers, unlike the T1 and HD800 for example that angles them on the mount/chassis. You can argue that might be wrong considering the pads compress and change shape over time, but when you consider the effect of economies of scale - specifically paying $90 for those obscure strips of foam on the HD800 - paying $70 every 18 months or so to maintain your K701's sound may not be that expensive after all. (But then again, for all I know the HD800 pads last longer)

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #24 of 803
Hopefully more people will add to this thread so when I rebuild the first post I'll have lots of helpful info to add.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 803
I just put some Pearstone Deluxe Replacement Earpads onto my Ultrasone HFI-780.

They make them as a replacement for the:
Sony MDR-7506
Sony MDR-V6
Senal SMH-1000
Audio Technica ATH-M30

I tested a couple of bass songs with them and I didn't really notice a Night and Day change in the sound. A little less bass maybe but a lot more comfortable. The ear hole is a tad smaller on these pads but it did not bother me at all, more testing to be done down the road.

beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #27 of 803
Quote:
I just put some Pearstone Deluxe Replacement Earpads onto my Ultrasone HFI-780.

They make them as a replacement for the:
Sony MDR-7506
Sony MDR-V6
Senal SMH-1000
Audio Technica ATH-M30

I tested a couple of bass songs with them and I didn't really notice a Night and Day change in the sound. A little less bass maybe but a lot more comfortable. The ear hole is a tad smaller on these pads but it did not bother me at all, more testing to be done down the road.

beerchug.gif

So will these fit the M50?

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #28 of 803
Quote:
So will these fit the M50?

From what I had searched for and read here, the ATH-M50's have 45mm drivers where the ATH-M30's only have 40mm drivers and these pads will only fit the 30's.

Apparently the TurtleBeach X31 pads fit the M50's and also the beyerdynamic DT250 pads are supposed to fit.

Also from what I've read these pads change the sound of the ATH-M50's by quite a bit, so you might want to try the TurtleBeach ones first as they are only $1.95 each...

beerchug.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #29 of 803
Quote:
From what I had searched for and read here, the ATH-M50's have 45mm drivers where the ATH-M30's only have 40mm drivers and these pads will only fit the 30's.

Apparently the TurtleBeach X31 pads fit the M50's and also the beyerdynamic DT250 pads are supposed to fit.

Also from what I've read these pads change the sound of the ATH-M50's by quite a bit, so you might want to try the TurtleBeach ones first as they are only $1.95 each...

beerchug.gif

True, but shipping from TurtleBeach for a pair of the pads is almost $12, so the price for a pair is around $16.  Anyone know of a vendor who sells them for less shipped?

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #30 of 803
Hi, i need to know if these ear pads fit on Samson SR850: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT990VB-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XEYT6G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358352294&sr=8-4&keywords=velour+ear+pads

Or another one less expensive??? But I from Venezuela, I can buy only on amazon...

Thanks for any help...

I think that these earpads can fit on Samson SR850 /Superlux: http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cushions-SENNHEISER-HD430-headphones/dp/B000KPPYHE/ref=sr_1_172?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359235159&sr=1-172&keywords=replacement+earpads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back