The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Jan 26, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #526 of 803

Sounds like I'll be giving them a try then. I did hear in the X00 thread that the angled can be more of a struggle to get on the mounting ring than the non angled, but I'm sure I can finesse them on. I'll also have the stock pads for comparison so I'll report my findings back back after I get them.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/denonanglepads.html

have u explored these...?  i havent tried them b4

I just bought the Yamaha MT220. I thought they sounded meh. I put a set of HM5 Angled pads on and the difference in SQ was amazing.  Almost sent the MT220's back. Pads make all the difference.  I have some Alpha Dog pads I might experiment with too.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #528 of 803

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/denonanglepads.html

have u explored these...?  i havent tried them b4

The consensus from the X00 forum was that the lawtons didn't do this headphone any favors. For $104, I don't really want to try to prove them wrong either. =P

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #529 of 803
  Anyway, real leather, I am out. Not my thing. Morally and ecologically against my principles.

I agree with you with that. I prefer faux leather and velour over real leather in my headphones and earpads for the same reason that you

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #530 of 803
Hi,

I bought ATH-T500 to use while at work, but their ear pads are way too small (shallow) for my ears and they just wont fit in them. The more I wear those headphones, the more my ears hurt.

I am trying to find bigger ear pads that would fit them. I was told that pads from ATH-TAD500 will fit and are bigger, but they cost almost 40$ (that's little less than half of the price I spent on ATH-T500)...
Any ideas on ear pads that will fit ATH-T500, are bigger and do not cost over 30$ (ideally less than 20$)? I found ATH-TAD500 pads on eBuy for 25$, but shipping is another 13$, so I say nope to that...

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #531 of 803
  Any ideas on ear pads that will fit ATH-T500,

It is generally a good idea, when posting in this thread, informing of the dimensions of your earpads: outer and inner diameter, thickness, and how large is the sleeve on the back (the circle which goes in the slot of the drivers. It generally is between 0.5 and 1 cm all around).

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #533 of 803
  It is generally a good idea, when posting in this thread, informing of the dimensions of your earpads: outer and inner diameter, thickness, and how large is the sleeve on the back (the circle which goes in the slot of the drivers. It generally is between 0.5 and 1 cm all around).

Well, I have them at work and I kinda forgot to take the ear pad home so I could do the measurements. I'll try to post them on monday.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #534 of 803
Anyone try Dekoni pads?

http://dekoniaudio.com

Doesn't seem like anything worth touching IMO.
Looks mostly like the same quality as the ones on HK ebay, but as seriously inflated prices.

Also leather pads for DT770/880/990? is that a joke? I hope it's a joke.... it's just a bad idea for the sound. 
Also the faux leather pads for the beyers have no venting ... those will also sound pretty terrible on any beyer.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #535 of 803

Anyone try Dekoni pads?

http://dekoniaudio.com

Doesn't seem like anything worth touching IMO.
Looks mostly like the same quality as the ones on HK ebay, but as seriously inflated prices.

Also leather pads for DT770/880/990? is that a joke? I hope it's a joke.... it's just a bad idea for the sound. 
Also the faux leather pads for the beyers have no venting ... those will also sound pretty terrible on any beyer.

thanks. Actually, I've tried AlphaPads and J$ pads on the 770 with very good sound. I just prefer the velours. Leather on the 990 destroys the sound, so I agree there. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #536 of 803

Actually, I've tried AlphaPads and J$ pads on the 770 with very good sound

Good to know.
Would be nice to have a big spreadsheet or list showing which pads are good on which headphones.
It's often too laborious to trawl through hundreds of thread pages just to find information such as this.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #537 of 803

Actually, I've tried AlphaPads and J$ pads on the 770 with very good sound

Good to know.
Would be nice to have a big spreadsheet or list showing which pads are good on which headphones.
It's often too laborious to trawl through hundreds of thread pages just to find information such as this.

I'm generalizing here, but I think most leather pads will sound good on closed cans, but will restrict the sound on open cans. The exception is when the manufacture has tuned the headphones for leather pads. Open headphones generally need breathable pads. "closed" leather pads on open cans commonly cause the sound to seem muffled. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #538 of 803
I'm generalizing here, but I think most leather pads will sound good on closed cans, but will restrict the sound on open cans. The exception is when the manufacture has tuned the headphones for letter pads. Open headphones generally need breathable pads. "closed" leather pads on open cans commonly cause the sound to seem muffled. 

I think this is mostly true for dynamics, but the rules for planars can be quite different.
I find that leathers can be quite good for open back planars too. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #540 of 803
  To be honest, I believe ear pads have much more of a sound difference than replacing cables.

You mean they have, or they have not, a sound difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back