The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Jul 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #271 of 803
I have just received the new HM5 thick pads directly from Brainwavz for evaluation. I'll be checking them out and providing measurements etc...

New Thick and Velour

New Thick compared to the old HM5 pad

More info to follow as I haven't checked them out yet.
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #272 of 803
Looks sweet!

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #274 of 803

My current pad replacements are the MrSpeakers Aplha pads on the SRH1540, and the Shure alcantara pads on the HP200.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #276 of 803
Sorry guys got a little busy on the weekend...

The Velour and Pleather look to be cut from the same pattern so I'll just show the velours in a few of these pictures as the pleathers are mounted on my GMP 8.300 D's at the moment.

These new pads will stretch out to fit on any 100mm diameter cup rim, they might stretch a little further but they would not fit on my T50RP's which are 110x100 if I remember, I didn't want to stretch the back out to the point of ripping to try.

From the GMP thread:

Mounted on the GMP 8.3 series.

66mm inner opening length when mounted on a 100mm cup.

62mm width.

27.5mm depth.

Now for the Monoprice 8323 size question, I am using the Velours in these pictures.

Monoprice 8323 - Pearstone Deluxe (Left) vs HM5 (Right)

The Monoprice cup does not stretch the pad in any way so here are unmounted pad measurements. 

71mm length.

50mm width.

*The inner depth is the same as the Pleather pad which is 27.5mm*

Back 105mm length.

Back 83mm width.

Pleather = More Bass / Velour = Less Bass
Any other questions just ask.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #277 of 803
How does the thickness and comfort of the velours compare to the DT990 pads? I've been wanting to swap the stockers for some black ones but don't wanna shell out the money for T90 pads. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #278 of 803
I'll put the Velours on my DT880's tonight and let you know.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #281 of 803
Well here they are the HM5 Velour's on the DT880's...

Comfort is not as good as the beyerdynamic pads since the opening in the HM5's is a bit smaller and one gets used to that big round beyer pad. As far as thickness and softness go they are very comfy and fully usable. They don't quite fit on the beyer's due to the way the yokes attach to the cups which causes the mounting pleather to get bunched up on the rim of the cup, this could be made to look nice by working the edge up while putting it on.

BUT these HM5 Velour's suck all the treble out of the DT880's and cause the bass to be very boomy, so they are a definite NO for the DT880's. The Stock beyerdynamic velour's have many holes all the way around the backing which allows air to move through the pad, where the HM5 velour's don't have any holes at all. One could probably spend a lot of time and effort to cut holes in the backing pleather but I doubt it would be a worthwhile task.

The Velour's work very nicely on the Ultrasone HFI-780's for comfort over the stock pads, but the pleathers would be better for the bass.

Koss TBSE / DJ100's... A little large to mount but comfort is enhanced over stock and sound doesn't really change all that much, but I wouldn't post that in the DJ100 thread as they would run you out of town for heresy.
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #282 of 803
Thanks for the info! Have you seen the jergpad mod for Hifiman pads? Now that's some serious dissecting right there. I'll order some of the velours and probably doasome stretching and hole punching. 

beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #283 of 803
  Thanks for the info! Have you seen the jergpad mod for Hifiman pads? Now that's some serious dissecting right there. I'll order some of the velours and probably doasome stretching and hole punching. 

beerchug.gif

Yes I just looked at the pictorial on imgur of the jergpad mod, wow that is a serious pile of work!

I hope the HM5 Velour's work for your purpose, and I know you will make them something great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back