The E-Mu 404 (and M-Audio Audiophile) Are Discontinued...New Products That Achieve The Same Effect?
May 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hereatlast

New Head-Fier
I'm sorry to add yet another one of these threads onto the pile but it seems like the best answers to my specific question are now dated by a couple years. 

I'm looking for an external USB sound card that will do two things as well as possible: 1) record vinyl rips from phono preamp or mixer; 2) act as a DAC for computer headphone listening.

I'm not looking to rip my entire vinyl collection or conduct any type of meticulous archiving, I'm simply looking to rip specific records/songs and the occasional all vinyl mix (from a mixer in this latter case). I currently use a NAD PP2 as a phono pre into my Denon 2112ci for listening (and would be happy to continue using the NAD before the USB card).

Other then that I'd love to take this opportunity to upgrade my digital headphone listening (currently using B&W P5's but an upgrade is imminent). Being able to upgrade my computer headphone listening would be a huge plus as I review music for work and my desktop is currently my weakest link.

The E-Mu 0404 looks like a solid option for me and I know it's well reviewed, I'm essentially looking for some (possibly newer or overlooked) alternatives to research. USB is a must and use will be nothing but headphones and stereo recording. 

Thanks in advance. 

EDIT: I've changed the thread name after realizing that both of these products I'm most interested in are discontinued (not that that means they aren't viable options at all). Wondering if anybody has any suggestions for current production models. Thanks. 

May 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 11
With the EMU you are better of getting an older unit. They changed the design  a while back and it does not perform quite as well. There was a thread around somewhere outlining the specifics.

For cheap The Behringer UFO202 has a phono specific input and he headphone stage is not bad at all. For 60 bucks it is the value leader.

I use the M Audio Transit (very portable and dirt cheap to buy used) as it will do 24/96. For more serious stuff the M Audio Audiophile is about as good as it gets. About on par with the Tascam 366 for quality but lacking the Tascams balanced jacks.
M Audio Fast Track pro is the current offering and improves on the audiophile in a few areas.

May 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks so much for your quick reply.

While the Behringer sounds interesting I'd rather not cheap out with this first step, even if the UFO202 has a better value to dollar ratio.

Also, thanks for the info on the M Audio Audiophile, the 2496 was actually initially high on my list but I didn't have the room for it in my case.

I'm still intrigued by the EMU as a frontrunner in this category (I'm still wading through that long dedicated thread) but really appreciate these other reccs. as that is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know when the EMU changed for the worse? Either way I'll look out for that thread you've mentioned. 

May 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Thanks so much for your quick reply.

While the Behringer sounds interesting I'd rather not cheap out with this first step, even if the UFO202 has a better value to dollar ratio.

Also, thanks for the info on the M Audio Audiophile, the 2496 was actually initially high on my list but I didn't have the room for it in my case.

I'm still intrigued by the EMU as a frontrunner in this category (I'm still wading through that long dedicated thread) but really appreciate these other reccs. as that is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know when the EMU changed for the worse? Either way I'll look out for that thread you've mentioned. 

It was on a pro audio forum I believe and that was a while ago. Apparently the product changed when Creative bought out EMU systems.

For pure portability the Transit is about the size of a deck of cards.

May 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 11
The Transit sounds nice at all but I've no need for portability. Most this will move is about 15 ft. (from my computer to my turntable if I try and use it as a stand-alone DAC I suppose). 

I'll seek that info on the change out, thanks again. 

May 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
The Transit sounds nice at all but I've no need for portability. Most this will move is about 15 ft. (from my computer to my turntable if I try and use it as a stand-alone DAC I suppose). 

I'll seek that info on the change out, thanks again. 

I am confused here. You said that the audiophile was too large, did you not?

May 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm sorry I was unclear, I didn't realize that M Audio had put out the Audiophile product (it seems like that was build off of the original 2496?). The 2496 PCI card was something I looked into but couldn't make it work in my computer case. That actually made me think more seriously about an external card (and that's something I've settled on); in any case, thanks again, I'll probably look into the Audiophile more than the Transit per your recommendation. 

May 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I'm sorry I was unclear, I didn't realize that M Audio had put out the Audiophile product (it seems like that was build off of the original 2496?). The 2496 PCI card was something I looked into but couldn't make it work in my computer case. That actually made me think more seriously about an external card (and that's something I've settled on); in any case, thanks again, I'll probably look into the Audiophile more than the Transit per your recommendation. 

Ok the word case flew by me as the post is about USB. The audiophile is to be had in external USB (firewire too, but that can be a whole world of hurt to config ) form. I have the firewire version and it is quite compact and built like a tank. I do wish I had bought the USB version though.

May 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 11
The fast track pro is M audio's replacement for the Audiophile.

I do not know what Creative's latest is.

May 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Doesn't make sense. Creative bought out EMU ages ago. Did they even have a 0404 on sale before Creative?

Yes the original 0404 was brought out as a cheaper alternative to their high end boards one year later. Now I am not sure if it was also offered in USB at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back