The Dynahi Construction Related Questions Thread
Sep 29, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #197 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by djwkjp
looks good so far, raul. i like the idea of using 2 angle brackets. what kind of case is that? it looks great.

It's one of these: http://www.hammondmanufacturing.com/dwg25.htm

I got the RMCS190313BK1, 17" x 13" x 3.5". Top and bottom panels are not too rigid though, planning to add some aluminum angles along those and the side panels inside for extra rigidity.

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #198 of 630
rsaavedra,

Looking at how much heat is created by my Dynahi boards, as well as their power supplies, I am not sure your dynahi will be stable. The dynahi boards alone create quite alot of heat.

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #199 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
rsaavedra,
Looking at how much heat is created by my Dynahi, as well as its power supplies, I am not sure your dynahi will be stable. The dynahi alone creates quite alot of heat.

I rather tend to agree with Kevin, that the sandwich scheme I used is probably a bit overkill. I think I'm using the same heatsinks you are using. Why do you think my heat sinking and dissipation is insufficient?

Notice, half the top and bottom panels of the case are vented. I'm planning to install them so that let's say bottom has vents in the back half, and top panel has the vents in the front half. So besides the probably overkill heatsinking, air circulation will be plenty.

Sep 29, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #200 of 630
My dynahi and power supplies are currently operating out in the open, without enclosure. They get quite warm. At very least, I suspect your case could be hot to the touch. The believe the heatsinks will have to be outside the case, or alternatively, you will require a fan to pull out the heat.

Sep 29, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #201 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
My dynahi and power supplies are currently operating out in the open, without enclosure. They get quite warm. At very least, I suspect your case could be hot to the touch. The believe the heatsinks will have to be outside the case, or alternatively, you will require a fan to pull out the heat.

I see. Once I try it, I'll make sure to have the amp with plenty of breathing room. If it gets too hot, I'll first try drilling rows of holes on the panels all the way right below and above the heatsinks. I suspect that should be sufficient in case of the case getting too hot. But if still too hot, then I'll change the case and arrangement to have heatsinks outside. In any case, no way I'll have a fan in this amp, that would be blasphemy!!!
biggrin.gif
. When listening to music at home, whether through speakers or headphones, I even turn off the air conditioner and refrigerator to avoid any background noises as much as possible. (I'm one of the ones who couldn't put up with the Azur 640C because of its transport noise)

Sep 29, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #202 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
I even turn off the air conditioner and refrigerator to avoid any background noises as much as possible.

ok, thats crazy
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #204 of 630
I'm not so concerned about a case that is warm. My plans include bolting the heatsinks to the floor of the case and letting the chassis be an extension of the heatsink. I am also using BEEFY heatsinks... will post pictures when I start the build (December vacation project!)... sorry to tease you. No time, and I'm partly waiting for the silver wire from the group by for signal connections.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #205 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
ok, thats crazy
biggrin.gif

Yeah it is a bit
biggrin.gif
Well, in defense of my sanity, the apartment where I live is relatively small, the neighborhood is very very quiet at night, and my appliances quiet loud in their own way. Whenever listening to music, either the central A/C or the fridge motors kicking in are almost little explosions of noise in their own way. Not referring to the electrical noise in the electricity feeding the audio components (something to avoid anyway), I mean perfectly audible noise in the room. Very distracting and annoying when you are listening specially in very quiet conditions. Because of that, I started turning them off before listening, not to have to stand up in the middle of a session, and I started doing the same when watching DVDs also.

Sep 29, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #206 of 630
Oh, I understand that, its just that for me my comfort [airconditioning] and my food not rotting [fridge] are fairly important considerations as well
blink.gif

Sep 29, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #207 of 630
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Oh, I understand that, its just that for me my comfort [airconditioning] and my food not rotting [fridge] are fairly important considerations as well
blink.gif

LOL, no but I don't keep them off for too long, almost always less than 2 hours. And I mostly do this late at night when it's really quiet. If it's not that quiet it's not worth turning them off.

In any case, definitely no fans for my amp.

Sep 29, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #208 of 630
After some requests of part lists, here the list of things I got and the sources:

Audio board components from BCBill's list:
http://members.cruzio.com/~billsiegmund/

From www.mouser.com:
Knob (part# 450-6017)
Headphone jack (# 550-NMJ6HCS)
Case (546-RMCV190313BK1)
(After Trevor's comments, explore alternatives to this case)

From http://www.alliedelec.com:
Power inlet with switch (# 509-3110)
Power led (# 566-1031)
Fuse holder (# 798-0019)
Condor power supplies (# 744-5020)

From http://www.surplussales.com/Heatsinks/HeatSink1.html
Heatsinks HS-TWS

From http://www.moon-audio.com/
Pair of Cardas Female RCA's (GRFA S Thick)
18awg 3 conductor shielded silver plated wire (for power wires)
Cardas roll of Silver solder

From Home Depot and Lowe's
Aluminum angles, washers, bolts, and nuts

From a local computer parts store:
Silicon based heat sink compound

From groupbuys at Headfi:
Quail power cord
Elma Ladder attenuator
Dynahi pcb boards

Still to buy:
22-20 awg solid silver wires (Kevin's recommendation) for signal path

Sep 29, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #209 of 630
What would you guess your total expenditures to date are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back